Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best race data acquisition system?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 07:48 PM
dhuberty
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those that are using Race Technology products they have just released OBD2 adpaters (both serial and CAN) that plug into the serial port on the DL1 and the OBD2 port in your car. Same holds true for ECU interfaces (more complex, but more signals). Using these adapters simplfies the connection process and keeps people from tapping into wires. Depending on your vehicle they have an ECU map already completed. Unfortunetly they do not have one for Porsche's yet. Argh!
Old 02-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by al@cpt
What systems are you guys using? Looking for some opinions from actual users.

TIA

Al
Strongly suggest you begin from the other end.
Do you need a telemetry or just a data logging system? Look at what type of data you need instantly and what you want computed, check what sensors needs to be added. After that, take a look at the budget...

..and your choices should have narrowed down.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:42 AM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Yea, I agree with Rassel in it mostly depends on your objective and budget. I am a big fan of the Traqmate and Chasecam combination. The Traqmate software is easy to use and setup which is important to me. Also, they are always adding new features. The software has over 12 graphs you can use to analyse your data which is plenty for me including the syncronized video and RPM sensor. You really require a lot time to even keep up with all the options.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:39 PM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks to everyone for their input. I will try the traqmate and will report back with some data once the season opens up here in Chicago.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:02 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by al@cpt
Thanks to everyone for their input. I will try the traqmate and will report back with some data once the season opens up here in Chicago.
Dammit Al, traqmate? Well you won't be sharing data with me & Shon then. (she's thinking about the DL1 too). But you're too fast for us anyways so our data wouldn't do ya much good...

BTW, Colorchange used the CAN bus on his 996TT, but I think he ran an AIM system. So SOMEBODY somewhere has figured out the 996 protocols.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:38 PM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Dammit Al, traqmate? Well you won't be sharing data with me & Shon then. (she's thinking about the DL1 too). But you're too fast for us anyways so our data wouldn't do ya much good...

BTW, Colorchange used the CAN bus on his 996TT, but I think he ran an AIM system. So SOMEBODY somewhere has figured out the 996 protocols.
It's the car, not the driver.

CAN bus data can't be used with the Traqmate, so I will be adding sensors. I think we can make a couple of Excel templates that would graph the data and allow us to compare it, no matter what system is used to collect it.

BTW, Shon needs to work out some days off this season and go out to the track. That new suspension isn't doing her any good in the garage!!!

Quick Reply: What is the best race data acquisition system?