Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best race data acquisition system?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
The ease of use with Traqmate is the reason I chose it, and I have been very happy with it. They are constantly upgrading its interface. I have RPM, and will add TPS and brake on/off this winter. You can add sensors to anything, I think up to about 5, if you are so inclined. If you can find out what wire to tap into from your ECU, it is pretty easy to add to Traqmate.
You can also tap into a lot of data via the OBD2 port, IIRC.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:10 PM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eric,

No they were transferred to Excel by a friend who knows how to do such things. The Chris you quote is not Chris T., but Chris P., and he used to have a 993, but now has a Lotus. He is an excellent driver BTW.
Do you have a Excel template that you use to view the data?
Old 02-05-2009, 01:36 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by al@cpt
Do you have a Excel template that you use to view the data?
Good question. I have nothing. On the DL1 (and probably other systems too) you just select File -> Export As Data -> then save as .csv (comma-separated file) that you can import into Excel. You can choose exactly what data to save (certain laps or sectors). Analyzing in Excel would be a PITA; that's why it's so useful to have the same system as your buddy.
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2009, 02:09 PM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Good question. I have nothing. On the DL1 (and probably other systems too) you just select File -> Export As Data -> then save as .csv (comma-separated file) that you can import into Excel. You can choose exactly what data to save (certain laps or sectors). Analyzing in Excel would be a PITA; that's why it's so useful to have the same system as your buddy.

That is good. But does someone have a template that takes the data and turns it into graphs so it can be viewed easily?
Old 02-05-2009, 02:49 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

I like my Aim Pista dash/datalogger.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:51 PM
MJHanna
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK so how much data am I going to get with a system on a car that has Mechanical Fuel Injection as its most “modern” feature?
Old 02-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Slightly OT, but there's a group buy being organized on M3 forum currently where they hope to get the Traqmate complete for $825 shipped if they have enough buyers.

I'm thinking of taking the plunge finally and figured I'd pass along this info if anyone else is in the market.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=248438

Andy
I was considering the iq3 unit but for this price it may have to be traqmate for one season.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:25 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

My Aim dash is in a carb'd car. I get RPM, oil pressure, oil temp, wheel speed, brake pressure, steering angle. That's what I can think of right now. I mostly use the wheel speed and rpm when looking at my laps. The logger will also make a track map. I alos have it calculate the best lap where it puts together my best segments so that I know what MY perfect lap would look like, ie. I actually put together a whole lap. It is also very helpful to have a pro or better driver take your car out to compare the shift points, braking points etc. I am a novice when it comes to data analysis. I had a pro look at one of my laps at Road America a couple years ago and when he quit laughing and wiped the tears from his eyes, he gave me some good pointers just from looking at the speed/rpm graphs.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:27 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Al and Eric,

I don't know how difficult it is to transfer data from the different manufacturers onto a common Excel spread sheet. It is impossible for me, but a driving friend is able to do it with a superimposed map with all of us virtually racing together, time slips, Gs, speed/distance, etc. I'm having dinner with him tonight, and will ask him if it requires his expertise, or if he can share some techniques for the data translation. I know each company compresses and encodes the data differently. We plotted my GT3, the SC lotus and an '87 911 and it was very interesting. The differences in acceleration, cornering speed, brake Gs really helped explain what was happening, but also showed each of us where we were leaving something on the table in different turns. Lots of fun, especially during these cold, snowy months, ( as you Windy City guys know even better than I do)
Old 02-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John H
I like my Aim Pista dash/datalogger.
Yup, Aim/Pista is another really good one IMO.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:31 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

VR,
You can also tap into a lot of data via the OBD2 port, IIRC

In my car, I'm pretty sure I can only get RPM and power from the OBDII. That is where I am getting those signals now.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

VR,

In my car, I'm pretty sure I can only get RPM and power from the OBDII. That is where I am getting those signals now.
Understood. In some cars, you can also get wheel speed, throttle position, brake pressure, etc.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:18 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

...I'm having dinner with him tonight, and will ask him if it requires his expertise, or if he can share some techniques for the data translation. ...
Chuck - that would be great. I thought about it some more, and this would be really challenging to create.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:57 PM
brucegre
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 to the DL-1 for a lot of us. It took a while to get good with the software, but that was more because I didn't know what to look for than because the software was hard to use.

I haven't sensored the car because I move the unit around from car to car (really easy, you just need a secure, level mount in each car, I plug it into the cigarette lighter. Yes, I had a lighter socket installed in the Cup car, no I don't smoke on the long straights). You can infer braking and acceleration from the g-plots, and the GPS track map and easy segmentation into sectors is really useful. There's a really useful graphical time slip function to see where you are losing or gaining time lap to lap.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:46 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

VR,

Yeah, pin #9 on 996/986 cars provides RPM.

Quick Reply: What is the best race data acquisition system?