Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best race data acquisition system?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 12:19 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Traqdata is required (IMO) to get much meaningful info out of the Traqmate. I agree that rpm, throttle position and brakes are really minimal to help an advanced intermediate driver get better. Brake pressure is great but minimally a brake on/off sensor (the traqmate will try to calculate braking from the g-sensors but it leaves a lot to be desired).
Old 02-05-2009, 02:37 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by al@cpt
For all of you using the Traqmate: do you have any additional sensors hooked up? I'm wondering how well the sensor unit (traqdata) works with the rest of the system.
We use Traqdata for TPS,RPM and Brake. Here is our writeup on how we did it. You can see it's not too hard. You just tap the DME and your set.
http://www.gormanms.com/2008/09/26/s...-installation/
Old 02-05-2009, 09:00 AM
jwade944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use time sheets.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:17 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

The ease of use with Traqmate is the reason I chose it, and I have been very happy with it. They are constantly upgrading its interface. I have RPM, and will add TPS and brake on/off this winter. You can add sensors to anything, I think up to about 5, if you are so inclined. If you can find out what wire to tap into from your ECU, it is pretty easy to add to Traqmate.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:12 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi Al-

Here's a great discussion of our choices:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...alogger-49287/

And a useful article here:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/atta...aq-article.pdf

This guy summarizes it well:
Originally Posted by chrisp993 on elisetalk
Summary: if you are looking for one step up from a lap-timer with segment times, some limited analysis of g-force related data and like the idea of an in-car display then the Traqmate is an OK choice. OTOH, the DL-1 is a no-brainer if you want to dive deeper into the data analysis, especially with additional sensor inputs
You'll want to hook up RPM and Throttle for starters. (brake flag isn't very useful IMHO).

I use a DL-1 with display and am very happy with it. It's super easy to hook up additional sensors; I now have Wideband AFR, Intake Air Temp, ECTS, and Knock signal (with plenty more open slots). You can set alarms, create complex math functions, etc. The DL-1's real-time display of Segment +/- times and Predictive Lap Time are very cool.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:35 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Eric,

These are good articles, and I've superimposed Chris' data from his DL-1 with my Traqmate data from some events we attended together. They are comparable, for my practical purposes ( 20 hz vs 100 hz sample rate), and both allow several additional sensors. I think that the more software savvy enjoy higher order math functions, and are not put off by the more complex analysis software. Real time difference between best lap and current lap, segment time, etc are functions available in both systems. One thing to consider in which system to buy is which systems your friends have. It is much easier to compare similar systems, and superimpose one car's performance on another.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:05 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
...I've superimposed Chris' data from his DL-1 with my Traqmate data from some events we attended together. ....
Chuck - does Traqmate allow you to import data from other systems, or did you just analyze the data in Excel? p.s. if you're talking about Chris T. (red '91 C2T), he uses AIM.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:10 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Eric,

No they were transferred to Excel by a friend who knows how to do such things. The Chris you quote is not Chris T., but Chris P., and he used to have a 993, but now has a Lotus. He is an excellent driver BTW.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dhuberty
Motec hands down is the best..
Motec, while very robust, is not the "hands down best". There are more powerful systems on the market for those with the funds.

AiM Sports makes a very good system for the price. We use an AiM Sports data logger paired up to a Motec engine management system.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:35 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Slightly OT, but there's a group buy being organized on M3 forum currently where they hope to get the Traqmate complete for $825 shipped if they have enough buyers.

I'm thinking of taking the plunge finally and figured I'd pass along this info if anyone else is in the market.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=248438

Andy
Old 02-05-2009, 12:42 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Wow, that is a great deal.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That seems like a good price for the Traqmate Complete setup/package.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:00 PM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Hi Al-

Here's a great discussion of our choices:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...alogger-49287/

And a useful article here:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/atta...aq-article.pdf

This guy summarizes it well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp993 on elisetalk
Summary: if you are looking for one step up from a lap-timer with segment times, some limited analysis of g-force related data and like the idea of an in-car display then the Traqmate is an OK choice. OTOH, the DL-1 is a no-brainer if you want to dive deeper into the data analysis, especially with additional sensor inputs

You'll want to hook up RPM and Throttle for starters. (brake flag isn't very useful IMHO).

I use a DL-1 with display and am very happy with it. It's super easy to hook up additional sensors; I now have Wideband AFR, Intake Air Temp, ECTS, and Knock signal (with plenty more open slots). You can set alarms, create complex math functions, etc. The DL-1's real-time display of Segment +/- times and Predictive Lap Time are very cool.
Hi Eric. Thanks for the info. I will look into the DL-1.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:04 PM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

We use Traqdata for TPS,RPM and Brake. Here is our writeup on how we did it. You can see it's not too hard. You just tap the DME and your set.
http://www.gormanms.com/2008/09/26/s...-installation/
Good write up. Thx.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:06 PM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

The ease of use with Traqmate is the reason I chose it, and I have been very happy with it. They are constantly upgrading its interface. I have RPM, and will add TPS and brake on/off this winter. You can add sensors to anything, I think up to about 5, if you are so inclined. If you can find out what wire to tap into from your ECU, it is pretty easy to add to Traqmate.
Hi Chuck. Thanks for your input.

Quick Reply: What is the best race data acquisition system?