Sponsored by:

Patches on Nomax 3 Layer Driving Suit

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 09:38 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Patches on Nomax 3 Layer Driving Suit

So how difficult is it to get off an embroidered patch on the sleeve or chest of a driving suit or is it just best to cover/ put a patch over the old one. What is the risk of harming the fabric to taking a patch off.

Also, any suggestions on caring for these Nomax driving suites.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:13 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

No replies... Are you guys saying no one changes patches on a track suit? Also, no one has purchased a suit from a fellow racer and wanted to make a few changes to the patches? This can't be a new idea. Thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:23 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

You have to use Nomex Thread. But I'm adding patches and embroidering to mine. Again w/ Nomex Thread.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:23 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be able to remove the stitches from patches. Per protocol they need to be on the outer most layer of the suit with nomex thread.

However, that may be a massive pain in the *** if there embroidery because of the stitch count. I have embroidery on mine that would never come out.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:24 PM
95m3racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it embroidered Patch or embroidered directly onto the suit?

There is a way to get the embroidery out, but its tricky.

As far as caring for your suit, check out the march issue is Sports Car, there is a Safety equipment section feature and I'm pretty sure it has some info on caring for your suit.

If you have a question Bob at Driving Impressions knows a lot about caring for your equipment, feel free to give him a call, 800-275-4667.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:25 PM
va122
Drifting

I always buy my suits new because I'm afraid the previous owner had a "code brown" or "code yellow" moment. That and because i like to drive in the buff
Old 02-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by 007DT
You have to use Nomex Thread. But I'm adding patches and embroidering to mine. Again w/ Nomex Thread.
I've never understood why you would need to use Nomex thread to sew on a patch...the patches aren't made of nomex. A little bit of thread burning on the outside layer of your suit is going to be the least of your concerns in a fire.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by 95m3racer
There is a way to get the embroidery out, but its tricky..
Cut the threads and pull?
Old 02-06-2009, 02:06 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Good comments. Sounds like it is Ok to remove patches, but be careful. Also, some patches might be harder to remove than others based on how they were applied to the suit.

95m3racer: The current owner of the suite said one of the patches was embroidered and I did not ask for additional details. Also, thanks for the tip on calling Bob for caring for the suit.

Does anybody recommend a particular product and/or brand to care for the suit?
Old 02-06-2009, 02:41 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
I've never understood why you would need to use Nomex thread to sew on a patch...the patches aren't made of nomex. A little bit of thread burning on the outside layer of your suit is going to be the least of your concerns in a fire.
I agree...

I'm having some done in the coming days and I'm told that the standard Nomex Thread is fine but that the Nomex Thread with sheen (shine) is only good to 425 degrees before it starts to melt. (Sheen is what you want because the other is VERY dull) I laughed and said use the sheen. If I'm in 425 degrees my embroidering melting is the least of my problems.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:35 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by va122
I always buy my suits new because I'm afraid the previous owner had a "code brown" or "code yellow" moment. That and because i like to drive in the buff
To much information
Old 02-06-2009, 08:43 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

My patches were sewn to the top layer and NOT nomex thread. As has been stated.....the thread is the least of your concerns as the patches are probably not fire resistant either. The suit, helmet, balaclava, gloves, socks, boots, etc, will do their job while you get the heck outta dodge in the event there are flames present.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Racin44
Advanced

I have removed patches from a suit by hand on several occasions. You just want to take your time and use the right sewing tool that is made for that purpose (thread removal).

I think that the use of Nomex thread is specified to make sure that there is no premature breach to the second layer of your suit. If I remember correctly, Nomex shrinks as it heats up. Perhaps the idea of having a burning thread basically piercing a series of expanding holes as the Nomex shrinks is what they are concerned about? This might be enough to lower the TPP rating below the required minimum specification for the garment. (???)

As far as product to use to care for your suit: Most have instructions sewn into the suit. If not, the manufacturer can provide the best info. My experience has been that most say to launder with a regular detergent or dry clean with a specific method/chemical. They try to make things as easy as they reasonably can, I think.

Off topic slightly, I am a big fan of CarbonX...
Old 02-08-2009, 02:41 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

in terms of caring for your suits- Molecule makes some amazing suit care products- from refresh (which you spray to make it less stinky after the day) to their washes and repellant treatments...$$ well spent.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

I don't use Nomex thread either, but I find it hard to believe that Nomex thread would melt at 425 degrees
Paper burns at 451 degrees, and if Nomex thread melted at 425 degrees, then wouldn't your drivers suit fall apart, with nothing to hold it together. Then you would be SOL.

The above is said to be mostly amusing, except that paper starts to flame at 451 degrees.

Bill Seifert

1999 Honda Civic SI Race Car

Quick Reply: Patches on Nomax 3 Layer Driving Suit