Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 11:16 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Implying cheating is a little unfair at this point.
No one said they were cheating.
They were simply found to be compliant at post race technical inspection.
That should be a DQ IMHO.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:16 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Can't they weigh the cars completely DRY?
Old 01-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
As much as I am a die hard Porsche fan and that Brumos is my favorite team in DP, they should lose the win and all points earned. 12 pounds is not insignificant at all when you consider how tight the battle was between 58 and 01. 12 pounds underweight is cheating, intentionally or not. In PCA club racing, you get DQ if you are 1 pound underweight and there are no stakes involved other than bragging rights and spare change contingency money. The watches are tainted.... WAIT what does the grand am rule book say???? That is what really matters I guess.
Originally Posted by MJSpeed
12lbs underweight is cheating.

Is that fair or unfair?

Tainted victory/race.
Originally Posted by ltc
No one said they were cheating.
They were simply found to be compliant at post race technical inspection.
That should be a DQ IMHO.
yes they did and it's akin to blasphemy

I agree 100% that rules are rules and I would be perturbed if II got beat (assuming I was in a position to win, ever) by a car that failed post race inspection. However, Grand-Am issued a judgement and a penalty. Good enough for me, they make the rules and they say the win sticks.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:32 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Which is why GrandAm = NA$CAR = joke.

There is no justification for their decision IMHO.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This is actually pretty consistent in their post race tech penalties.

Last year the ST car that won the first race had a fuel tank that was larger than allowed and they received a monetary penalty and points taken away.

At least they are consistent with the post race tech situation.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:19 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
It's a 24 hour race, maybe 12lbs of parts fell off.
DD was busy collecting rubber & all crap during his cool down lap which of course is normal but I'm sure they were worried with it since they were running low on fuel and oil loss they had.

If Grand Am fined and penalized them then those must be the rules. I don't really know.

As far as 12 lbs vs 50 vs 100, that's just getting silly.

Driver/team points and monetary fines are pretty universal in racing. Why shouldn't they be acceptable in Rolex?

The fact that it was a 24 hour race my have a different tolerance than a 250 mile sprint as far as rules/penalties. Again, I don't know but 12 lbs could have been due to a lot of factors. Implying cheating is a little unfair at this point.
it was due to many factors, at least the low fuel and some missing oil & maybe coolant. It's not that they deliberately cheated but that they were running their weight so close to the minimum. When you take that risk, you some times might end up too low on weight and they you're not within the rules anymore.

And whether it's 12, 50 or 100 lbs is not being silly. There is a set limit and if you go below, you're below. Anything else is speculating and that's what you're doing, I don't think there should be room for speculation.
Let's say 12 lbs equals 0.2 sec/lap, 50 equals 0.5 / lap and so on, how much advantage do you have to have when it becomes too much?
Seriously, how much?
I bet you can't tell and so can't I, that's why there should not be a grey area.

Originally Posted by ltc
^ + 1
I've seen karts DQ'd for being less than 1lb underweight. Hey, who forced you to run so close to the limit in the first place. (FWIW, I won't let my son get within 5# of the minimum weight, since scales can vary over the course of a weekend.)
Rules are the rules.
Period

Of course you are dealing with Grand Am...i.e NA$CAR, so rules are 'flexible'.
They should be DQ'd and the trophy/win awarded to the next car/team in line.
Simple.
But it won't happen, not in the NA$CAR world.
+1
Old 01-29-2009, 12:20 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess it depends on what the rulebook says should happen in this event. If the book was followed then there's no harm/no foul. If there was an exception made because of the popularity of the winning entry, then I agree that's wrong.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
It's a 24 hour race, maybe 12lbs of parts fell off.
DD was busy collecting rubber & all crap during his cool down lap which of course is normal but I'm sure they were worried with it since they were running low on fuel and oil loss they had.

If Grand Am fined and penalized them then those must be the rules. I don't really know.

As far as 12 lbs vs 50 vs 100, that's just getting silly.

Driver/team points and monetary fines are pretty universal in racing. Why shouldn't they be acceptable in Rolex?

The fact that it was a 24 hour race my have a different tolerance than a 250 mile sprint as far as rules/penalties. Again, I don't know but 12 lbs could have been due to a lot of factors. Implying cheating is a little unfair at this point.
it was due to many factors, at least the low fuel and some missing oil & maybe coolant. It's not that they deliberately cheated but that they were running their weight so close to the minimum. When you take that risk, you some times might end up too low on weight and they you're not within the rules anymore.

And whether it's 12, 50 or 100 lbs is not being silly. There is a set limit and if you go below, you're below. Anything else is speculating and that's what you're doing, I don't think there should be room for speculation.
Let's say 12 lbs equals 0.2 sec/lap, 50 equals 0.5 / lap and so on, how much advantage do you have to have when it becomes too much?
Seriously, how much?
I bet you can't tell and so can't I, that's why there should not be a grey area.

Originally Posted by ltc
^ + 1
I've seen karts DQ'd for being less than 1lb underweight. Hey, who forced you to run so close to the limit in the first place. (FWIW, I won't let my son get within 5# of the minimum weight, since scales can vary over the course of a weekend.)
Rules are the rules.
Period

Of course you are dealing with Grand Am...i.e NA$CAR, so rules are 'flexible'.
They should be DQ'd and the trophy/win awarded to the next car/team in line.
Simple.
But it won't happen, not in the NA$CAR world.
+1

Originally Posted by ilko
Can't they weigh the cars completely DRY?
They of course could but why? Generally in all racing the weight is in "racing condition" and I don't see a problem with that.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I generally agree that rules are rules and need to be adhered to, however this outcome is consistant with past GrandAm rulings. I know it has happened in GS and ST and I believe it happened to the Gainsco DP car before too, so I don't think Brumos is getting extra special treatment. Apparently they don't like changing race results after the fact, we'll see if the lost owner points have an impact at the end of the season. Still, if I was driving the 01 car I'd be pissed. I'd love to hear Whine Pablo Montoya, Pruett, Rojas, and Ganasi's uncensored opinions!
Old 01-29-2009, 01:19 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that the Brumos car is deemed anorexic, will they still slap on restrictions to the 4.0L flat six?

So how hot did the #58 run in the closing laps with coolant and oil loss?
It's good there's no multiple race rule for DP engines.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:37 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

$5000 fine and driver/team points penalty.

12 lbs wouldn't have made a difference. +/- one HP? 2 gallons of gas?

Doesn't seem like a malicious thing, miscalculation.

12 lbs also doesn't seem like any gigantic advantage over anyone else.

Take the penalty, good, keep the win, good.

Bwaaaaa , you gotta be kidding ! If JPM had won and then found to be underweight , the uproar here would be deafening .........

They should have a 10 second penalty applied this would give then second ...

Originally Posted by FredC
As much as I am a die hard Porsche fan and that Brumos is my favorite team in DP, they should lose the win and all points earned. 12 pounds is not insignificant at all when you consider how tight the battle was between 58 and 01. 12 pounds underweight is cheating, intentionally or not. In PCA club racing, you get DQ if you are 1 pound underweight and there are no stakes involved other than bragging rights and spare change contingency money. The watches are tainted.... WAIT what does the grand am rule book say???? That is what really matters I guess.
+10

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
12lbs underweight is cheating.

Is that fair or unfair?

Tainted victory/race.

Maybe if DD had 12Lb, F1 nuts like JPM , there would be no problem .........

JPM 3 out of 3 .... 24hr Daytona "Owned" by Ganassi ..........Booyacka !
Old 01-29-2009, 01:41 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I noticed, and commented to my buddies watching the cool down lap that he was way out in the marbles all the way around.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:45 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I can see where a whopping $5000 penalty would deter something like this from happening again.

Hmmn, $5000 vs a Rolex24 win.....Definition of no brainer.

Yet another example of what happens when you bring NA$CAR values/judgements/rulings into road racing.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 856 Posts

It will be very interesting to see what if any additional penalties are levied, up to and including relinquishing the trophy.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:48 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc

I can see where a whopping $5000 penalty would deter something like this from happening again.

Hmmn, $5000 vs a Rolex24 win.....Definition of no brainer.

Yet another example of what happens when you bring NA$CAR values/judgements/rulings into road racing.
Are you saying bernie and max would have handled this better

Next race I'm sure everyone will be underweight

This kind of violation deserves a 10 second penalty ......... especially after viewing DD attempts after the race , they knew they where underweight...

Quick Reply: Brumos #58 Found to Be 12 lbs Underweight