Brumos #58 Found to Be 12 lbs Underweight

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 01:51 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
They of course could but why? Generally in all racing the weight is in "racing condition" and I don't see a problem with that.
I understand, but since the issue seems that Brumos "lost" 6 quarts of coolant (the equivalent of 12 lbs), it might be more precise to weigh the cars dry.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:03 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought it was around 2 gallons of coolant/oil to get the 12 lbs weight.

I dare them take the Rolexes away . . .
(Just don't give it to JPM.)
Old 01-29-2009, 02:14 PM
syncspeedinc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that the first legal car should be the winner, period. Grand Am creates it's own mess with these types of rulings.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:29 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by syncspeedinc
I agree that the first legal car should be the winner, period. Grand Am creates it's own mess with these types of rulings.

legal, do they weigh all of the cars coming over the line? How can you have a 24hr endurance race and then say you lost coolant so you lose. Cmon, i can see if it was 50lbs but 12lbs, leaking radiator, what benefit did they have?
Old 01-29-2009, 02:44 PM
syncspeedinc
Instructor

I understand it seems harsh but it is not their first 24 hour race and they should know better than anyone that they should not cut it so close. It is not like this is a rules "gray area" , it is pretty cut and dry - 12lbs under @ post race inspection will get you bounced off the podium in almost all series anywhere else in the world. The France family is not a big believer in post race chances to the results, what ever their reason are.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

I used to have a secretary who was ALWAYS 10 minutes late every morning. She always had an excuse (often the same excuse -- weather, kids, elevator), and she said that it was hard to come in right at 9:00AM sharp. But what's 10 minutes?

I pointed out that she was to be in BY 9:00AM not AT 9:00AM, and if she set her schedule 10 minutes ahead each morning, she would generally get in by 9:00 and (gasp) sometimes earlier. She looked at me like a dog looks at a TV set.

12 Lbs under is not trivial. It's 12 lbs less than the bare minimum, which is not a line to be toyed with.

PS: Are they not allowed to restore lost fluids before the weigh in? It seems like they should be allowed to have a "normal" fill of non-consumable fluids.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:46 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

I just got back from viewing the cars on public display at Brumos. This probably means nothing, but the third place and first place DP trophies and the overall win trophy did not have the Brumos name inscribed. The overall trophy was sitting in the corner with the type facing the wall. The third place trophy is still prominently displayed- the overall isn't.

It's possible this was a temporary spot for the overall trophy- just thought it was interesting.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
legal, do they weigh all of the cars coming over the line?
No, they weigh the cars at post race technical inspection/parc ferme

How can you have a 24hr endurance race and then say you lost coolant so you lose. Cmon, i can see if it was 50lbs but 12lbs, leaking radiator, what benefit did they have?
Simple.
They chose to run the car too close to the weight limit.
Period.

As long as the error is outside the error in the measurement equipment (in this case scales), then they violated the rules (willingly or not).

I've seen kids DQ'd for being 1/8" over rear width.....OK, did 1/8" make a difference?
It doesn't matter...they chose to run the kart that close to the limit and they failed.
DQ, go to last on the results sheet.

Ask 10 kids with national karting experience 'what happens when you come in under weight'.
You'll get the same answer every time.
The rules are taught at a young age.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
PS: Are they not allowed to restore lost fluids before the weigh in? It seems like they should be allowed to have a "normal" fill of non-consumable fluids.
No, for the same reason the drivers are not allowed to drink a gallon of water before they proceed to scales.
(even in karting, you are not allowed to pass anything to your kid until they have cleared scales...if anyone sees you pass anything (or even hug your kid before they clear scales)....DQ)
Old 01-29-2009, 03:08 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

12lbs equates to how much time per lap, .02? Now .02 over 734 Laps= a **** load more than the .167 second margin of victory!

Ganassi is the true winner...like him or not JPM won again!
Old 01-29-2009, 03:14 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rules are rules is true. Opinions are just opinions too. Who knows or looked up the Grand Am DP rules? Do the rules state underweight is a DQ or is there a sliding scale of points and fines as was imposed.
Using the rule book to the best advantage you can is racing has been, always will be. It is not cheating it smart racing. The 935 is an example of reading the rules.

That said I don't think they intentionaly ran under weight as this is an easy to catch item and 12 pounds at the end of a race where we all know anything could happen would not be a make or break thing. If the rules are that running under weight is a fine and points off getting close is not as heartburn causing as if a flat out DQ were the rule.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
Opinions are just opinions too.
The only sensible and reasoned post in this whole thread is the one by kurt M.

Lots can happen in a 24. Bodywork gets knocked off and replaced. And knocked off again. Solids and liquids deplete and replenish. G-A likely has a scale of tolerance for issues such as this.

But, of course, if you want to bitch about things you have little understanding of...that's what the internet was made for. Thanks, Al Gore !
Old 01-29-2009, 03:55 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

...Using the rule book to the best advantage you can is racing has been, always will be. It is not cheating it smart racing. The 935 is an example of reading the rules.
The 935 is smart racing...12lbs underweight is breaking the rules.

That said I don't think they intentionaly ran under weight...
How would you know? Rules are not up to what we think is or isn't intentional or is or isn't enough of an advantage. We must, with all rules if they're broken assume it was done intentionally and consequences must be paid. That's like getting called for a foul in basketball and saying, "but I didn't mean to foul him." Intentional or not its a foul and you pay the consequences. Now if those consequences are not to your liking, that's a different story.

...12 pounds at the end of a race where we all know anything could happen would not be a make or break thing...
Anything can happen in any race exclusive of it's length.

It is a make or break thing. Can anyone tell me when the car got lighter? How do we know the car wasn't running 12lbs light all race long, it did lead the most laps...what do 12lbs do tires, top end speed, brakes, etc...
Old 01-29-2009, 03:56 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ajcjr
legal, do they weigh all of the cars coming over the line? How can you have a 24hr endurance race and then say you lost coolant so you lose. Cmon, i can see if it was 50lbs but 12lbs, leaking radiator, what benefit did they have?
Weak! Brumos is in violation , they knew they where in violation ,,,,,, 10 second penalty or it will ruin the race , this will always be a problem if GA allow it to stand ...............

Originally Posted by ltc
Simple.
They chose to run the car too close to the weight limit.
Period.

As long as the error is outside the error in the measurement equipment (in this case scales), then they violated the rules (willingly or not).

I've seen kids DQ'd for being 1/8" over rear width.....OK, did 1/8" make a difference?
It doesn't matter...they chose to run the kart that close to the limit and they failed.
DQ, go to last on the results sheet.

Ask 10 kids with national karting experience 'what happens when you come in under weight'.
You'll get the same answer every time.
The rules are taught at a young age.
+10

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
12lbs equates to how much time per lap, .02? Now .02 over 734 Laps= a **** load more than the .167 second margin of victory!

Ganassi is the true winner...like him or not JPM won again!
If this is not reversed it will be worse for Brumos than finishing 2nd ......

Rules are rules is true. Opinions are just opinions too. Who knows or looked up the Grand Am DP rules? Do the rules state underweight is a DQ or is there a sliding scale of points and fines as was imposed.
Using the rule book to the best advantage you can is racing has been, always will be. It is not cheating it smart racing. The 935 is an example of reading the rules.

That said I don't think they intentionaly ran under weight as this is an easy to catch item and 12 pounds at the end of a race where we all know anything could happen would not be a make or break thing. If the rules are that running under weight is a fine and points off getting close is not as heartburn causing as if a flat out DQ were the rule.
No intention , but they are in violation , the results cannot stand if the series is to have any credibility .....
Old 01-29-2009, 04:01 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
The 935 is smart racing...12lbs underweight is breaking the rules.

How would you know? Rules are not up to what we think is or isn't intentional or is or isn't enough of an advantage. We must, with all rules if they're broken assume it was done intentionally and consequences must be paid. That's like getting called for a foul in basketball and saying, "but I didn't mean to foul him." Intentional or not its a foul and you pay the consequences. Now if those consequences are not to your liking, that's a different story.

Anything can happen in any race exclusive of it's length.

It is a make or break thing. Can anyone tell me when the car got lighter? How do we know the car wasn't running 12lbs light all race long, it did lead the most laps...what do 12lbs do tires, top end speed, brakes, etc...
JPM 3 for 3 , if he wins the daytona 500, i will try to be humble about it

Quick Reply: Brumos #58 Found to Be 12 lbs Underweight