Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A company that can convert my foam tip ear piece transducers to custom ear pieces?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Nothing ever is. Did you say that you got a schematic from Chatterbox- feel like sharing that- I may ask a friend to have a go.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:08 AM
dbbmwm3
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chatterbox to IMSA or NASCAR adapter cable

Just wanted folks to know that I've figured out the wiring schematics and have developed and tested prototypes for IMSA or NASCAR to Chatterbox adapter cables. They work great and it makes instructing or coaching so much better!

The parts are pretty pricey (damn those patents), but I can make and sell the cable for a lot less than an IMSA to NASCAR adapter which Racing Radios sells for seventy dollars a piece.

IMSA or NASCAR style female jack to Chatterbox 6-pin DIN adapter cables - $45 shipped. If you want one, send an email to dbbmwm3(at)yahoo(dot)com

This is my first post on Rennlist, but you can check out my profile on bimmerforums where I frequently post (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1316894). I'm a club racer with the BMW club and NASA (IP/GTS#3).

-Denis
Old 09-29-2009, 10:05 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Denis, can you describe how these work? Do they use the NASCAR harness in the car or does this connector go from Chatterbox to helmet for the microphone in the helmet and my earplugs still plug into the helmet?
Old 09-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Happy to hear of the progress.
To be clear, I have IMSA earphones and mic- can these be interfaced with C-box DIN input?
I would intend to use the regular C-box mic/earpiece for my students.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:43 PM
dbbmwm3
AutoX

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Denis, can you describe how these work? Do they use the NASCAR harness in the car or does this connector go from Chatterbox to helmet for the microphone in the helmet and my earplugs still plug into the helmet?
This adapter allows you to connect your racing radio helmet connector (which would otherwise plug into a car radio wiring harness) directly to a Chatterbox. I've figured out how to wire a NASCAR or IMSA style adapter.

This allows you to use your ear bud and built-in mic helmet 2-way radio kit when instructing in student cars vs having to use a Chatterbox mic/speaker boom that you slip under your helmet. I've found it much more convenient, more comfortable and the sound quality is a lot better too.

Hope that answers your question.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:47 PM
dbbmwm3
AutoX

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.8
Happy to hear of the progress.
To be clear, I have IMSA earphones and mic- can these be interfaced with C-box DIN input?
I would intend to use the regular C-box mic/earpiece for my students.
Yes, it works for your system. I just made an IMSA female to C-box DIN cable for a fellow BMW/NASA club racer and he's tested it out to work perfectly.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

One more question, Denis. There are differences among earphones/microphones for race radio setups. The Chatterbox has one volume control. When used with two Chatterbox mic/speakers the gain between instructor and student is the same because the equipement is the same. Is there an adjustment on your connector to get the volume right between the different devices race radio on one side and Chatterbox mic/speaker on the other side?
Old 09-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dbbmwm3
Yes, it works for your system. I just made an IMSA female to C-box DIN cable for a fellow BMW/NASA club racer and he's tested it out to work perfectly.
YGM.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:23 PM
dbbmwm3
AutoX

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
One more question, Denis. There are differences among earphones/microphones for race radio setups. The Chatterbox has one volume control. When used with two Chatterbox mic/speakers the gain between instructor and student is the same because the equipement is the same. Is there an adjustment on your connector to get the volume right between the different devices race radio on one side and Chatterbox mic/speaker on the other side?
Chris, I didn't wire it with a separate volume control. I have a Racing Electronics helmet set up and the volume difference worked out pretty well - at about 3/4 volume setting on the Chatterbox, both my student and I could hear each other really well. I wear a balaclava, so the Chatterbox speakers would always get muffled. Being able to use my custom ear buds allowed me to listen to my student like never before.

To note - I made a cable for myself and then had a bunch of racer friends ask me to make a few for them. It's not a business that I want to get into by any means, but something simple to help out fellow instructor/racers.

-Denis
Old 10-02-2009, 04:42 PM
dbbmwm3
AutoX

I'm building 15 cables and 10 are taken. If anyone wants one of the last five, please let me know.

-Denis
Old 10-07-2009, 10:23 PM
dbbmwm3
AutoX

Thanks to everyone who had a cable made. I received all the parts today, built and tested all the adapter cables and shipped them out. I have a few left if anyone still wants one.

p.s. Here's what the finished product looks like...

Last edited by dbbmwm3; 10-10-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:36 PM
dbbmwm3
AutoX

Hi folks. It looks like these adapters are pretty popular and I'm on the third set of building them. I'll keep making them if racers want them. And thanks to everyone who's gotten one and I hope you like them!
Old 11-17-2009, 12:24 AM
dbbmwm3
AutoX

For folks interested in getting adapter cables, you can now contact the folks at Sync Speed who have a bunch of both NASCAR and IMSA cables available. http://www.syncspeedinc.com/racing_store.htm

Quick Reply: A company that can convert my foam tip ear piece transducers to custom ear pieces?