Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High School physics at the track

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 12:01 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+2, Russell is not going to put his kids in any danger, I will attest to that. Member days are different from DE's.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:11 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

That was no where near too fast for the car, but it WAS too fast for the driver. a little earlier apex approach, harder brake and a little trail brake and the worst he might have seen was a little 4 wheel drift if even that.!

Classic footage and love the physic attachments!

Mk

Originally Posted by M758
Well,
The C5 driver went in too deep and could not slow down at the turn in point. His braking put him off line in the dirty part of the track causing less grip than normal sending him spinning when he turned in. The drivers should have recognized he was in dirty part of the track while braking and went of straight. Dumb idea to try to make the corner as it was never going to happen.

Ok to bring it to physics. The coefficient of friction is lower in dirt and marbles off line than on well rubbered in line.

Last edited by mark kibort; 01-20-2009 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:22 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

No kidding! Sheez!!! If you ever had to WORRY about that flying object, it would be in a high speed rollover, and with the lap belts, i think you would have other things that you would be worrying about. the only thing that thing could do otherwise is just end up in her lap (as it was tied to her wrist)

I think it was great to have your daughter in the car. You can tell you were going at a safe speed, MUCH safter than anything I see on the local freeways, and forget about what we see on the LA freeways like 405 at rush hour!

I cant remember when i had a "oh no " moment on the track. (well maybe i can) But still, on the street, i have a couple of those a month from some idiot, cutting me off doing a 3 lane change, or pulling out in front of me. All MUCH more scary and dangerous that even ***** out racing and certanly more dangerous than a DE day at track that looks a lot like Buttonwillow. edit: that turn is almost the exact same turn as talladega at Buttonwillow CW. But its not! somewhere in Texas, you have a track like Buttonwillow!

mk

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
guys, give it a rest. "I wouldn't have anything unsecured in my car even in a parade lap" mmmm kay

they both have helmets on and like he said, he wasn't driving at race pace. do you daily drive to work with unsecured objects? that's more dangerous than what ervtx's daughter was doing.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:53 AM
KurtC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
I'm still not sure if it was a case of missed downshift, or him getting the brake and gas pedals confused, but I'm leaning towards the latter given the way he totally blew the turn-in and foolishly tried to save it. In person, it all came off as an amateurish hot-shot move.

Seemed like a boneheaded move by the Vette. Looked kinda scarry from the camera POV. Reminds me of this poor guy at TWS last year. Definitely got the gas confused with the brakes and smacked the wall coming out of 15. Luckily there wasn't too much damage and more lucky no one was around for him to hit! Too much power, too little experience and too much testosterone at this track day.

Funny video! I wish someone had gotten me involved with DE when I was in high school.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:15 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

The guy in the Vette just gave a lesson in how not to take a corner. He wasn't even going fast.
Everybody should have much greater exposure to tutoring in car control. I just don't think Govts care how many people get in accidents every day. It's an easy fix to reduce these numbers dramatically.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:14 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

guys, give it a rest. "I wouldn't have anything unsecured in my car even in a parade lap" mmmm kay

they both have helmets on and like he said, he wasn't driving at race pace. do you daily drive to work with unsecured objects? that's more dangerous than what ervtx's daughter was doing.
No commentary in my post....just quoting the rules (for which I was flagged for once!)
But I will say that once you start taking safety for granted its a slippery slope...
Old 01-20-2009, 08:48 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris White
But I will say that once you start taking safety for granted its a slippery slope...
I agree; safety is priority 1, which is why I did not dismiss yours and others' comments despite the different rules that were in effect.

AND as Mark captured very well... by themselves, rules do not deliver safety. Judgement and responsibility are required.

On the drive home, Mark's idiots made it to Texas and broke several rules upon their arrival. My insurance company should be much more concerned with the dangers of driving along side some of these nuts than they should be with the vette that spun or the camera in my car. On that day at least, we deconstructed 4 or 5 incidents on the highway compared to the one spin we saw on the track. And we ended up talking more about psychology and the runaway ego, and less about physics!

So I appreciate the "let's put this in perspective" comments that others have provided as well. It's all good.

Kurt, I agree with your assessment: Too much power, too little experience and too much testosterone. The physics lesson was for the experience deficit. The solution to the ego problem is a whole 'nother thread
Old 01-20-2009, 09:14 AM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Great video and thanks for posting, gave me a good laugh this morning.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:16 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, now a days its safer than eating peanut butter....

G.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:16 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

George, I fixed it for you...
Originally Posted by George A
Hey, now a days its safer than letting instructors eat peanut butter the day before a DE....

G.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

HEY! Who told you???
Old 01-20-2009, 06:25 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
HEY! Who told you???
Can't recall. I think itsuburban legend.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:28 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Really liked the video. I have seen that vette before and if I remember correctly the driver's capability is about the same as it was 6 months ago.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EXACTLY! This was a very nice thread, with some fun experiences shared and other posts of future exciting times offered....then the "Let me tell you how to lead your life" crowd showed up! They seem to like to rain on everybody's parade. And what is with "quoting THE rules"??? They actually do vary from event to event, track to track, club to club.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:15 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bull
EXACTLY! This was a very nice thread, with some fun experiences shared and other posts of future exciting times offered....then the "Let me tell you how to lead your life" crowd showed up! They seem to like to rain on everybody's parade. And what is with "quoting THE rules"??? They actually do vary from event to event, track to track, club to club.
Could you stay on topic please?
We're talking about VR's peanut butter diet now.

By the way, why is your cool arrow bigger than VR's?

Quick Reply: High School physics at the track