High School physics at the track

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 12:57 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default High School physics at the track

Here's a fun little clip involving a spin and the subsequent reaction from my high school age daughter...

I took her out for an open session at MSR this past Saturday. It was only her 2nd time on the track with me, and the first time was over a year ago. So it's not like she's seen a lot of action from an in-car point of view. Yet she absolutely knew what was happening when a Corvette driver spun in front of us.

From her first comment "he took that too fast" to her post-track analysis, she was spot on. Not only that, while I was focusing on avoiding the vette and then putting it behind me for the next set of turns, she had the wits about her to perform the role of commentator to the small camera she was holding - aimed backwards, in order to film herself. Only one turn beyond the spin and she was already thinking about the lesson to be shared with her high school physics class.

Here's the spin, followed by her post-track physics lesson...

http://www.vimeo.com/2878189

(MSR 1.7 CW, Ricochet)
Old 01-19-2009, 01:03 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well,
The C5 driver went in too deep and could not slow down at the turn in point. His braking put him off line in the dirty part of the track causing less grip than normal sending him spinning when he turned in. The drivers should have recognized he was in dirty part of the track while braking and went of straight. Dumb idea to try to make the corner as it was never going to happen.

Ok to bring it to physics. The coefficient of friction is lower in dirt and marbles off line than on well rubbered in line.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:05 PM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
Why you should have paid attention in Physics class...
Or taken driving lessons, or learned how to downshift (I cringed at that last one).....

I watched the video first and knew before I heard anything or read your description, that had to be a highschool aged girl in the passenger seat. Pink camera faced backwards, clearly taking a picture for facebook/myspace.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:17 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M758
Well,
The C5 driver went in too deep and could not slow down at the turn in point. His braking put him off line in the dirty part of the track causing less grip than normal sending him spinning when he turned in. The drivers should have recognized he was in dirty part of the track while braking and went of straight. Dumb idea to try to make the corner as it was never going to happen.

Ok to bring it to physics. The coefficient of friction is lower in dirt and marbles off line than on well rubbered in line.
Yeah, I think he was still thinking about the pass, and forgot where his braking zone was. Totally missed it. His real mistake was in trying to save it; there was plenty of safe runoff area if he had just kept the wheel straight. All kinds of things going on there from a physics perspective, like the differential between front grip and rear grip, effect of the dirty track on maximum static friction, etc.

Originally Posted by MTosi
I watched the video first and knew before I heard anything or read your description, that had to be a highschool aged girl in the passenger seat. Pink camera faced backwards, clearly had to be taking a picture for facebook/myspace.
You should see the rest of the video taken from her camera. It's a lot like the Patrese video of his wife screaming in the passenger seat, except my daughter's are screams of pure joy!
Old 01-19-2009, 01:24 PM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
You should see the rest of the video taken from her camera. It's a lot like the Patrese video of his wife screaming in the passenger seat, except my daughter's are screams of pure joy!
Good to see she likes it! Now more importantly, come license time is she going to get out there and drive? We need to even out the M/F ratio at these events, so all the elligible young men like me......trails off..... I'll keep my mouth shut so dad will still consider letting her get out there .
Old 01-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Your daughter is smarter than 99.999% of the population. Well-done!
Old 01-19-2009, 01:49 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

I think it follows Newton's fourth law.

A dumbass in motion, stops being in motion.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:00 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MTosi
Good to see she likes it! Now more importantly, come license time is she going to get out there and drive? We need to even out the M/F ratio at these events, so all the elligible young men like me......trails off..... I'll keep my mouth shut so dad will still consider letting her get out there .
She will be a handful for anyone who tries to keep up with her (see the next post), but yes, she will be encouraged to DE at some point.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Your daughter is smarter than 99.999% of the population.
Including her father.

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
I think it follows Newton's fourth law.

A dumbass in motion, stops being in motion.
I'd try to confirm that with her, but I've already had a debate with her on Newtonian vs. Aristotelian physics, and lost.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:35 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great clip. Funny how the Vette driver also did a money shift (bounced the engine off the limiter on the downshift.) Funny...I have a feeling that my daughter will be a lot like yours in the not-so-distant future.

Her 1st "track day" -
Old 01-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chads996
Great clip. Funny how the Vette driver also did a money shift (bounced the engine off the limiter on the downshift.) Funny...I have a feeling that my daughter will be a lot like yours in the not-so-distant future.

Her 1st "track day" -
GREAT picture!!!

Mine about 6 months ago, in daddy's race car:

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 02-20-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:22 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh man, obvious camera angle for myspace/facebook
Old 01-19-2009, 04:23 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Charming pics!

In your near future...

teaching them the rules of the road...
(2006)

sharing with them your passion for the sport...
(2007)

and finally.... track time!!
(2008)

Old 01-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

renault??

You let her wear a FRENCH TEAM'S shirt?????
Old 01-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GREAT picture!!!

Mine about 6 months ago, in daddy's race car:
Too cute... You gotta bring the wife and munchkin over when you come back to Road Atlanta. The two of them would have a blast.

C.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:32 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

renault??

You let her wear a FRENCH TEAM'S shirt?????
She IS a cajun, after all.

Not to worry - women of all ages are fickle. She jumped to Red Bull the following year, and to Ferrari the year after that.

Quick Reply: High School physics at the track