Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GCR DE, any new BPIR videos? & comments of 'less restrictive' passing in Instr group

Old 01-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Cool, Pete is a good guy and is always looking for ways to improve the program.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:26 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peter

I offered rolling pick service to the highest bidder but T or E would not take the offer.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:40 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,399 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Cool, Pete is a good guy and is always looking for ways to improve the program.
+1
Old 01-12-2009, 10:38 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

anyone have a track map with turn numbers?
nothing here: http://www.palmbeachdrivingclub.com/

Ha...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrD7hIM5wXk

here's what I'm wondering...

T1-T2 )
Faster to brake harder at the entrance , and setup the late apex in T2, (gas sooner)
OR,
brake less, trail braking deeper into the turn, and using all the track, (brake later= pucker#7)

I didn't think it made much difference into T3 either way....

Also T5, (old T4), RH bowl: fast line is staying high, until you see the apex or starting the turn in early?
do you use all the track here? or stay up a little?

T8 ? (last RT before back straight) Turn in starts at just after top of bump? (I know I'm missing time there)

BTW, my guy went Agricultural at T5, pretty bumpy over there! just a little worse than homestead T10
Old 01-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
I only ran on Saturday, the NEW Palm Beach International Raceway (PBIR), ( the old moroso facility)

but I must say, its a great track!... fast, challenging, and even some elevation changes.

I'm still learing the line, so if you have some new video, please post a link.

also I'd like to hear any comments on DE line vs fast line...

Also, those who ran in the instructor group, know that Pete T. was down, testing a new passing format... basically passing anywhere WITH A POINT, (only in the adv instructor group).

-great stuff!

comments?
Hi Bill,

Every instructor understood the format and followed it, no incidents......and virtually none of us had any previous track time at PBIR. I understand the format was approved by National, perhaps despite some misgivings, but it worked well: every instructor understood the ground rules and followed them; no incidents, everyone enjoyed it...........all of this on a beautiful new track that will be a real challenge to learn well enough to drive anywhere near the limit.

Thanks to Pete and Manny, and congratulations to Christal, Michael Grant (and Denise!)and Dan S. and all the track stalwarts in the Gold Coast Region for a great weekend.

Dan

Last edited by Dan in Florida; 01-15-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:30 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I know we have had other threads on this. BMW Club allows this at events I have instructed at Road Atlanta and Barber.
+Juan

It would be great if PCA would adapt this. But first they'd have to move all instructors into the same Run Group. Currently they spread them into 2 groups ie. 4 & 5. The only problem I foresee is that there is a large variance from a 944 and a GT3. Thus on a fast track like RA or VIR you could potentially have a 60 mph difference in speed which could be dangerous. I don't think this is as much as an issue w/ BMW. Regardless I wish it would be adapted. It works with Chin and BMW just fine?!
Old 01-13-2009, 12:06 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

I understand Pete's pushing to upgrade instructor run group w/ open passing with a point by. It's terrific.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:48 AM
dblapex
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=007DT;6174048]+Juan

The only problem I foresee is that there is a large variance from a 944 and a GT3. Thus on a fast track like RA or VIR you could potentially have a 60 mph difference in speed which could be dangerous. I don't think this is as much as an issue w/ BMW. QUOTE]

BMW has the same issue, 318is vs M5. What it comes down to is people being responsible for their actions, you should know that if you are in a 318 or 944 you better have very good situational awareness when there is a GT3 or M5 on the course. You have the option to not run in that group. Slow cars on the course are fine so long as they hold their line.

In the past I have opted to run in the slower group just becasue it is more fun to run with other cars of the same speed, not saying you are less of a driver if you are in slower run group, just saying you have less of an ego
Old 01-13-2009, 08:55 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

I had a fantastic time unless Riedel was pulling away on the back straight. "Open" passing worked very well for me, hopefully it did the same for everybody else. PBIR is so wide, you could run 3 wide if you wanted to. Those instructors that did not like it could of course always run in the regular solo group. Personally if I had one of the slower cars I might prefer the other group so that I did not have to worry about passing signals unless I was on the straights and could actually concentrate on my own line. There were some big discrepancies in speed but I don't think that was really ever an issue.

p.s. we really should try the "green, green, green" one more time after the 2 laps of side by side warmup/orientation.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:19 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

+1 for the rolling "start" and as one of the slower cars I actually like it as it demands situational awareness besides I can earn gas $$ by offering my pick services........
Old 01-13-2009, 09:25 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik
p.s. we really should try the "green, green, green" one more time after the 2 laps of side by side warmup/orientation.

Ohhhh Nooooooo!

Actually, thats the one thing I would change.

That 'start', after going 2 by 2 for a few laps was CRAZY! like an inverted enduro field at the start. I was real happy to get clear of that pack.

But its good practice for race starts!

This run group option may not be for every region... depends on the skills and maturity of your instructor corps...

but it sure was fun passing under braking again! haven't done that in years!
Old 01-13-2009, 04:51 PM
DanS911
Pro

Trust me the rolling start has come and gone....hope you enjoyed it!!
Re-grid and single file..... pass as needed is where we are headed. Watching Buff pass two left and then two right before the kink was more than I could handle (glad he doesn't have a computer)
Old 01-13-2009, 04:52 PM
DanS911
Pro

Trust me the rolling start has come and gone....hope you enjoyed it!!
Re-grid and single file..... pass as needed is where we are headed. Watching Buff pass two left and then two right before the kink was more than I could handle (glad he doesn't have a computer)
Old 01-13-2009, 05:20 PM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Green, Green, Green
Old 01-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Glad to hear it went well. Since it's our little pet project, Pete kept me up to date on the phone each night. Wish I could've gone, but I was with the Executive Council at the National office participating in our annual planning meeting. Hopefully as we continue to test this, we'll continue to have positive results.

fwiw, every region is different. At the Zone 2 VIR last year (and this year), both black and red were considered 'instructor' groups. Only difference was the hp of the car. 944's, 911SC's, etc ran in black and GT3's, Cup cars, etc ran in red. After a couple of sessions, we had some moving around. Seemed to work pretty good. I usually run in red, but since some fast hardware shows up for Zone 2, I moved myself to black and had a better time not looking in my mirror as much

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GCR DE, any new BPIR videos? & comments of 'less restrictive' passing in Instr group