Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GCR DE, any new BPIR videos? & comments of 'less restrictive' passing in Instr group

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 04:34 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default GCR DE, any new BPIR videos? & comments of 'less restrictive' passing in Instr group

I only ran on Saturday, the NEW Palm Beach International Raceway (PBIR), ( the old moroso facility)

but I must say, its a great track!... fast, challenging, and even some elevation changes.

I'm still learing the line, so if you have some new video, please post a link.

also I'd like to hear any comments on DE line vs fast line...

Also, those who ran in the instructor group, know that Pete T. was down, testing a new passing format... basically passing anywhere WITH A POINT, (only in the adv instructor group).

-great stuff!

comments?
Old 01-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,400 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
Also, those who ran in the instructor group, know that Pete T. was down, testing a new passing format... basically passing anywhere WITH A POINT, (only in the adv instructor group).

-great stuff!

comments?
I hope Pete was pleased with the results. I would love to see this adopted in other PCA regions.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I hope Pete was pleased with the results. I would love to see this adopted in other PCA regions.

[disclaimer] Following is just MY opinion and nothing else[/disclaimer]

I think the pass signal thing is great for the novice and intermediate course but at the same time I think it's a little over reacting when you are talking about the advanced and instuctors groups.

Here in Finland we don't have any passing signals nor do we have to pass on a specific side; we just pass wherever it's safe to do so. If some one drive's like an a$$, he will be black flagged. I've never seen or heard of an accident here due to passing. It cannot be because people would somehow be better drivers then accross the pond, because they are not.
On the other hand US is the land of law suits and liability seems to be the ruling factor in every thing from sports to business.
PBOC has their supersolo so why couldn't PCA have one?
Old 01-12-2009, 05:07 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

From the grapevine, PETE was pleased... no incidents either day....

-Juha, its a better transition from DE only to Racing...
PBOC has supersolo, and maybe just maybe, PCA has Instructor Level 2. (much better for the small tracks, & my low hp car... )

-as this was described, you don't have to teach to make instructor lvl2, just have the skills...

The points were less obvious than DE... quick points were sufficent... (like a race point)
still the overtaking cars responsiblity to make the safe pass....

I liked it...

This track is really worth running. facilities are still being built, but the track is done.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Derik Royal
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Group 4 in the NASA FL region is an open passing environment.
I highly recommend giving one of their events a try. There is a qualifying process to enter group 4, but the criteria is clear cut.
It's good fun.

derik
Old 01-12-2009, 05:27 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

MB:
Great fun and I think PCA should adopt this type of structure. BTW a couple of gt3's seem to have a rather fast line....
Old 01-12-2009, 05:32 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

Some PCA regions have pretty liberal passing rules (i.e. anywhere your wheels are straight) but I've never seen one that allows passing in corners. I didn't think that National would sanction or insure that. I'd like to see it though. Passing anywhere with a point-by like Chin does is more fun but PBOC SS open passing is even more fun.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I know we have had other threads on this. BMW Club allows this at events I have instructed at Road Atlanta and Barber.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:06 PM
NJcroc
Racer

No matter how you slice it, it is a move in the right direction. I am glad everyone so far has reported good results maybe other regions will experiment with it.

I just learned recently that a middle finger isnt a point by, go figure
Old 01-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJcroc
I just learned recently that a middle finger isnt a point by, go figure
WHAT???

NOW you tell me.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 02-20-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Like so?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DyWpBPZTA0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrD7hIM5wXk
Now I am really pissed i could not be there, I would have loved to try and stay with Erik and Terry, not likely with R888 VS Hoosiers, but it looks like you had some fun!!
Old 01-12-2009, 08:08 PM
sbarton
Instructor

Chin and some BMWCCA chapters do this. It is a lot of fun, allows you to practice taking turns offline, and you don't sweat it so much if you don't get a pass signal right away as the next passing opportunity is not far away. I really hope PCA approves this and the regions implement it.

-Scott
Old 01-12-2009, 08:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

For me personally Chin has the best format, of all the groups I have run with they run the best organized (If you want to know what time it is look at you scedule they WILL run on time.) with the most on track time.

Beginner point by on the straights only, advanced group point by everywhere. Remember we are not racing. If someone does not point by a car almost immediately he will be told to speed up the pointing by.

Perfect for me, I do not want to race but with 2 run groups 4 hours+ track time per day!!
Old 01-12-2009, 08:41 PM
dblapex
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Juha G
[disclaimer] Following is just MY opinion and nothing else[/disclaimer]

PBOC has their supersolo so why couldn't PCA have one?
I think is what they are working on, baby steps Juha, baby steps. PCA national is not excatly the quickest to make changes, we got this for now, lets not screw up and we can keep it.

Kudos to GCR PCA for always being the first.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:48 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Goldcoastregion.org always runs a great event!

I was not there this weekend , but from what I hear the rules worked very well, no incidents and a lot of fun..

Quick Reply: GCR DE, any new BPIR videos? & comments of 'less restrictive' passing in Instr group