Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slightly OT: Chasecam Users - What Video Editing Software?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Bigpinekey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
The new version has some nice tricks for guys who are using PIP to include a second camera view. The dashboards are now both movable and scalable. Put 'em where you want 'em and make 'em the size you want too. Won't be long now - just a couple of beta bugs to flatten.

Tony, will that be an update to the basic package for free, or is that for the premium package and additional cost?
Old 01-07-2009, 12:09 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bigpinekey
Tony, will that be an update to the basic package for free, or is that for the premium package and additional cost?

Free upgrade if you have V2.0
$50 upgrade for anyone who is still back on V1.2 [same upgrade deal as from V1.2 to V2.0]
Old 01-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Bigpinekey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Free upgrade if you have V2.0
$50 upgrade for anyone who is still back on V1.2 [same upgrade deal as from V1.2 to V2.0]
Thanks, I'm on V.2.0.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mike968 was telling me he uses "Magix" video software with great success...I put the question out to a group of beer-swilling NASA Nationals attendees last Sept. and Mike was the only one who ponied up what seemed to be a sensible answer.

SO, you guys are saying Sony Vegas software?? ...I'll check it out on Amazon...I JUST experienced the same issue as AC993C2S had, tried it last night and I couldn't even import it...would give me an error.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:54 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

didnt read entire thread but I use "Pinnicle" software and it works great and is very easy. it also let you upload straight to a youtube vid if you want.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:19 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Tom.

Jeff-

Here is the link to the converter. It easily converts the MPEG2 from the Chasecam to either WMV or AVI...after that drop it right into MovieMaker and it works like a charm! If you were anything like me, I was cussing up a storm until Roger pointed this link out.

Rob

http://traqmate.com/downloads/videoc...ertInstall.exe
Old 01-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Rob...appreciate that, will download when I get home later tonight.
Have you tried burning a DVD from what you create?? ...if so, is the quality good?

tkerrmd - thanks for the Pinnacle suggestion. I'm looking for a moderate to high quality conversion solution that makes things easy. I have used some "freeware" for years (Nerovision) and have lost the CD copy, actually, think I threw it away on accident when I cleaned out a bunch of "B.S." old software I had cluttering up my desk/drawers.

Once I upgraded my hard drive to 500GB I went to reload Nero and can't find it. In talking with others, apparently there are FAR better programs out there for under $100 - Magix was one of the few suggested to me, I'll add Pinnacle to that list, WHERE can I find that??

Also...I assume everyone is taking video with a Chasecam PDR100 onto a CF card? I don't use splitters or dual-cameras just yet, but maybe someday...my next step is probably Trackvision...so Tony, I'll have to give you a buzz here sometime.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:37 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Rob, have you compared the original mpeg2 video to the new converted file for resolution loss? Curious how much of an effect it has.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Curtis
I'll add Pinnacle to that list, WHERE can I find that?
Direct from Pinnacle - http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSit...Studio+Family/

Anywhere else be sure it's version 12.x at the least..
Old 01-08-2009, 10:45 AM
FLA997
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jeff Curtis
Thanks Rob...appreciate that, will download when I get home later tonight.
Have you tried burning a DVD from what you create?? ...if so, is the quality good?

Also...I assume everyone is taking video with a Chasecam PDR100 onto a CF card?
Jeff- I haven't burned a DVD yet...sorry. And yes, I am taking the vid straight from the Chasecam CF card using a PDR100.

Originally Posted by LVDell
Rob, have you compared the original mpeg2 video to the new converted file for resolution loss? Curious how much of an effect it has.
Dell-

I think there is some resolution loss, but it it still pretty good. For example, the link below is to a segment I just uploaded to YouTube yesterday, and if you click the Watch in High Quality - I think its pretty good. I cannot tell the difference in the High Quality Mode from the MPEG2 to AVI conversion vids and my previously uploaded vids straight from my MiniDV cam. For my purposes anyway, it seems fine - but I have not burned to DVD as of yet....

Actually, if I was going to burn to DVD, I think I could leave it as a MPEG-2 file if I am not mistaken...no need to convert to AVI or WMV. I may be wrong on that, however. All I really care about is easy editing and viewing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN4Cz7FSVQM

(ignore the poor driving)

Rob
Old 01-08-2009, 10:48 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Rob, even though I have seen some res loss converting from mpeg2 to h.264 for import into iMovie, when I burn to a DVD the res looks great since I am playing on my Blu-Ray player that does a hell of a job upconverting res to begin with!

Nice video and great driving by the way
ps. have you thought about dropping the camera down a bit?
Old 01-08-2009, 11:02 AM
FLA997
Drifting

Dell-

Dell-

Yes, that was the first run with the Chasecam....thought I had the angle OK, but in fact it was too high. Its fixed now.

Did you find yourself ducking down in front of your monitor trying to see under the rear view mirror? ;-)

Rob
Old 01-08-2009, 11:04 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

hehehe
Funny you should say that as I caight myself doing that!
Old 01-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you record using a ChaseCam at the highest resolution, it looks very good when burned to DVD and played on a large screen television.

I use TrackVision on a Mac (using Parallels to run XP) and it works well. Adding the data overlays is a great improvement to just a simple track video. The Traqmate provides a reasonably priced solution to not only help you improve your driving, but to provide everything you need to get great looking videos when combined with a Chasecam and TrackVision.

I also use iMovie, iDVD or Final Cut Express depending on what I'm trying to accomplish.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Bos
Pro

MPEG Streamclip is free and will convert just about anything to anything with a great degree of control of compression, audio, clipping out what you want before conversion, etc. Great tool!

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-win.html

Quick Reply: Slightly OT: Chasecam Users - What Video Editing Software?