Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slightly OT: Chasecam Users - What Video Editing Software?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 10:32 AM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Slightly OT: Chasecam Users - What Video Editing Software?

I recently obtained a ChaseCam, but find the MPEG2 video format to be not-so-friendly with MovieMaker, nor windows Media player for that matter. I had to download the VLC codec just to get the files to play on PC (Windows XP).

Then, I drag the clips into MovieMaker for editing and publishing - the video clips are not only upside down, but the audio isnt synced up to the video...not good.

My question is , what software are current Chasecam users having success with? Downloading a bunch of codec files, etc. seems like a real PITA for something that was supposed to make life easier. Surely there is a software program that will take my Chasecam / MPEG2 files and just allow me to edit & publish them without downloading a bunch of crap from here and there.

Using my MiniDV camera as a video source to MovieMaker was WAYYY easier than what it seems I have to do now...and I haven't even been able to edit the MPEG2 video as of yet. I'm hoping there is an easy solution.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:02 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always used MovieMaker with no problems. I don't do anything too fancy. Just very basic editing.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:06 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I bring my files into my Mac and then convert them to mp4 files for uploading into iMovie. I lose some resolution this way but it makes video editing in iMovie a breeze

I'll probably get Final Cut Express HD since it supports the mpeg2 files but I just don't feel like dropping $200 on software right now.

I assume you are on a windows based computer? I have heard good things about Sony Vegas.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:20 AM
FLA997
Drifting

Thanks Dell.... yes, I am using Windows XP. It's just aggravating at this point - I almost feel like going back to my MiniDV tape camera.

I have used MovieMaker plenty in the past and has been very easy/flawless...until I tried to import MPEG2 from the Chasecam.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:29 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

If I had it to do all over I would NOT have gone with Chasecam for this crappy and archaic format that they employ. It take me about 2.5 minutes for every 1 to get the file off the card, convert, and then import when I should just be importing. What a PITA.

VLC was nice for just viewing it and I have it on my Windows XP side of my Mac (I can boot up my Mac as a windows computer) but then I would still need a software program to make editing simple.

My old miniDV cam was fantastic compared to this except my miniDV is so abusd now from vibration, etc that I just had to go to something like Chasecam. Hopefully they have a software/firmware update soon that will make this a better product. Between the lack of 16x9 and the mpeg2 format I am not a happy Chasecam customer.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:33 AM
FLA997
Drifting

Well, thank you for saying what I was reluctant to.....Chasecam doesnt seem worth the trouble to me, either.

The $300 MiniDV camera has excellent picture and easy importing without all the hassle of MPEG2, VLC, CODEC this and CODEC that.

I wish I had know this before I made the purchase. The install is clean and neat - but that's about the only thing I can say good about the setup at this point.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:35 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

The video is stable as a rock and there is no vibration, skipping, etc. But capturing the video is only half the equation.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:05 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

The ChaseCam works great for me. At the end of a session I download it to my laptop and view it on MediaPlayer. If I need to edit it I just load it into MovieMaker and it works perfectly. I agree ChaseCam is way behind the technology curve but, at least for me, it makes up for it by being simple, reliable and close to foolproof.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:26 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Originally Posted by JimB
If I need to edit it I just load it into MovieMaker and it works perfectly. I agree ChaseCam is way behind the technology curve but, at least for me, it makes up for it by being simple, reliable and close to foolproof.
Unfortunately, I cannot say the same. It won't work in MovieMaker for me, and thus far has been FAR from a simple process to import the video into an editor - heck, I haven't successfully imported any of it yet.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:35 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Dell,

Final Cut Express is EXCELLENT!! But it is not as easy to work with as iMovie. If however you want to get fancy Final Cut is the way to go.

Rob..
Get a MAC They make everything creative (photos, movies, music, etc etc.) a Breeze
Old 01-06-2009, 12:36 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Dave, I would probably need to take a class on FC!
Old 01-06-2009, 12:45 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AC993C2S
Unfortunately, I cannot say the same. It won't work in MovieMaker for me, and thus far has been FAR from a simple process to import the video into an editor - heck, I haven't successfully imported any of it yet.
I know how frustrating it can be when your video doesn't work. Especially at the track where it's the last thing you need to be worrying about. Oddly that is why I like the ChaseCam stuff. No drama. If I were you I would fix what you have rather than looking for a whole new solution. Trust me, it does work.

If it would help I'll pm you my email and you can send me a file you are having trouble with. I'll see if it works for me.
Jim
Old 01-06-2009, 12:54 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Jim-

I'll take you up on that!

To clarify - my problem isnt viewing it - the VLC player works like a charm - its editing in MovieMaker, but I am slightly encouraged that it works for you. When I import the videos onto the story board(vlc mpeg2 files) into Movie Maker, the video is UPSIDE DOWN, and the AUDIO is WAYYYYYY out of sync.

I also dont like how MovieMaker turns my video from the card into a million little clips that make it hard to find a certain lap and trim it.

I can email you a MPEG2 file this evening and it would be interesting to see if it works for you.

Dave-

If the PC wasnt new, I probably would.... what a f***ing pain in the a$$!

Rob
Old 01-06-2009, 01:05 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Movie Maker is very reliant on the codec set installed on your PC, and that it turn depends on what other apps have installed codecs on your PC. The end game is confusion, and that is why it can work nicely on one machine and not at all on another. Basically, WMM is pretty solid when dealing with DV and WMV formats, but a crap shoot with anything else.

Sony Vegas Movie Studio is a really good option for PC users. It retails for less than $100, and Amazon often has good deals at less than that. If you think you might want to play with HD, then SVMS Platinum is the best choice for maybe $20 more than the standard edition.

...and no, SVMS does not chop source video into a thousand tiny clips.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:21 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Thanks Tony-

The fact that SVMS doesnt chop the video up when importing from the card is almost reason enough to try it.

Rob

Quick Reply: Slightly OT: Chasecam Users - What Video Editing Software?