Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How low can you go with a 993

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008 | 08:23 PM
jscott82
Drifting

Default How low can you go with a 993

Just like the title says, How low can you go?
I have assumed once the lower control arms go past horizontal you start seriously changing the dynamics. So without some serious suspension modification, RS or slightly lower is the limit. Anyone have any additional perspective they could share? The car runs PCA stock so moving pickup points etc is out of the question.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 12-18-2008 | 11:34 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

With Evo uprights, sticking with RS ride heights would be the best bet, IMHO.
Old 12-19-2008 | 09:25 AM
jscott82
Drifting

Originally Posted by chris walrod
With Evo uprights, sticking with RS ride heights would be the best bet, IMHO.
Thanks Chris, I was hoping you would respond....

Btw: I love the pic of your car in your sig, the RUF wheel look great on a turbo... It looks like you have a little additional rake in the car... intentional?

Technically EVO uprights are out too... With stock uprights bump steer is definitely a PITA, but manageable at RS height. I think I read somewhere that the roll center is also negatively affected.
Old 12-19-2008 | 09:44 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

w/ EVO uprights and ERP ends you can go very low, another 1" lower than RS. The Cups did that w/o the adjustable ends.
Old 12-19-2008 | 10:04 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

w/ EVO uprights and ERP ends you can go very low, another 1" lower than RS. The Cups did that w/o the adjustable ends
However, there is still toe change with the stock ends and you will have bump steer even with a 125mm (RSCS) ride height in the front. This will manifest itself with wandering under hard braking.

With the stock 993 setup you need to run to maintain class elidgability, the rear will be your issue as it toes out. You need to set the rear, using the kinematic toe to reduce the rear bump, then set your front so the car has 1 to 1.5 degrees of rake and that will be your ride height.
Old 12-19-2008 | 10:59 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
With the stock 993 setup you need to run to maintain class elidgability
Crap, I didnt give thought to this re: evo uprights.
Old 12-19-2008 | 11:13 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
.....With the stock 993 setup you need to run to maintain class elidgability, the rear will be your issue as it toes out. You need to set the rear, using the kinematic toe to reduce the rear bump, then set your front so the car has 1 to 1.5 degrees of rake and that will be your ride height.
Ain't that the truth!

Any advantage to running minimum k/t w/ harder bushes?
Old 12-19-2008 | 02:05 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

You can certainly go too low. I worked on a friends 993 that fell into that catagory. Wound up raising the front (and back) about 20 mm and the handling came back. It is easy and tempting to go too low, and it messes up the geometry, which ruins the handling. My old RSA was about as low as you could go, and it needed cup car stiff springs (read more than 1200 lbs) to compensate for the ultra-low front roll center.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 12-19-2008 | 02:24 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

I'm kinda in the too low category (below RS) on my 993. One thing I've discovered is that changing the rake to nearly zero helps when its this low. Using extra stiff springs also helps to minimize the bumpsteer up front (since you need travel for bump steer) like Larry mentions.

I'm trying an ultra low setup right now (or shortly, it's still in the shop). Part of the issue is that the Motons I have are fairly short and I want to be in the sweat spot of travel. To get to RS height, I'm almost at the top of the shock travel. At least, that's my theory. Hey, if it doesn't work, I'll raise it back up to RS height.

G.
Old 12-19-2008 | 04:28 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jscott82
Just like the title says, How low can you go?
I have assumed once the lower control arms go past horizontal you start seriously changing the dynamics. So without some serious suspension modification, RS or slightly lower is the limit. Anyone have any additional perspective they could share? The car runs PCA stock so moving pickup points etc is out of the question.

Thanks
Jeff
I had mine (silver) about as low as you can go, still managed to stuff 315's under the rear and 265's up front. It has since been raised to RS spec.
Attached Images  
Old 12-19-2008 | 04:31 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

I had mine (silver) about as low as you can go...
Well, that is all relative because if you use aftermarket links, limit the suspension travel, adjust the kinematic toe, you can lower the car much lower than RS ride height AND dial out the bump steer. To do this, you need to use a bump steer gauge or computerized alignment rack to understand the suspension movement relative to ride height.

Quick Reply: How low can you go with a 993