Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

I'm actually writing a book on it
Old 12-14-2008, 08:26 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You're too young to have developed such a definitive point of view!
Old 12-14-2008, 09:06 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

trust me, I am not. sad but true!
Old 12-14-2008, 10:40 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My response to C. J.'s comments were not intended for you, ervtx: your views and experiences are not those of a rookie. Rather, I took--and still take--exception to the view that spinning is necessary if one wants to identify his or her limits as a driver. That approach has no more relevance in racing than in driver education, in my estimation.

The views, C. J., that you and I have been sharing haven't focused on the liabilities of racing; we've been discussing spinning as a condition for learning one's limits as a driver. Your most recent comments indicate that you and I have a different approach to racing as well, and I hope that you're not implying that safety is not one of your central concerns, if not your central concern, as a racer when you write that "if you want to be safe and do DE stuff, mine is not the correct approach. but- if you're really racing then you have to be willing or at least aware that the car might not come back in one piece." I agree: in a race a car can be damaged, but typically it can be repaired. Yet racing incidents that are a consequence of driver error should always be of concern to any racer. As a racer, I would like to know that you, a racer, and all racers are safe after a racing incident.

You are, ervtx and C. J., clearly gentlemen who know each other well and enjoy driving cars at their limits. I know that we believe that the Barber Advanced 2-Day Racing School is a solid investment.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:39 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

There is no doubt in my mind that Skip Barber instruction - from my first-ever time on a track, to now my most recent time on a track - made all of the PCA instruction I've received in between so much more effective. In that sense, the value of the investment continues to pay off beyond the actual track time. When a PCA instructor says to me "you follow instruction well", I credit Skip Barber for providing the foundation on which to viscerally understand the intent of his or her instruction.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:23 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

doc- I do worry about the people around me and wish them the best and would never endanger another driver intentionally. but as you might be able to surmise from my avatar- I don't really care about my own well-being. life's too short to worry.

I apologize for the OT
Old 12-15-2008, 06:57 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

...does Doc V sound like Yoda when you hear him speak? ...no really? How about Master Po, or even Hal?
Hey to digress a little. There was all that discussion about liability and insurance and the car's worth etc, and then ervtx describes getting into the marbles and hitting the tyre wall. Was there a payment to be made as a result of your excursion?
Old 12-15-2008, 09:57 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
...does Doc V sound like Yoda when you hear him speak?

If he were Yoda, his post would have looked more like this:

Originally Posted by Yoda
To retain control of his or her car at all times, one of a racer's primary obligations is. Yes, hmmm. That spinning is necessary to learn the limits of the car I agree not. Hmmmmmm.
Originally Posted by 333pg333
Hey to digress a little. There was all that discussion about liability and insurance and the car's worth etc, and then ervtx describes getting into the marbles and hitting the tyre wall. Was there a payment to be made as a result of your excursion?
I was trying to avoid the giving the false impression that I might have been superstitious - i.e having jinxed myself by posting liability limits the night before. So, it's not a digression 3peat. Rather, it's back to an earlier theme (thank you!)... Damage estimate: 2500. And every penny due to what I did, not to what I wrote

Worth every penny as well. A costly mistake, yes. But mentally, I could not have gotten right back into a car if I had not understood the potential costs ahead of time. And it was an invaluable lesson. In the future,
I will be more cognizant of how my vision and perceptions are affected by the slightest change in seat height, car width, etc.,
I will be more alert to brushing the curbing (vs. riding on it) on zero-camber or less track-outs
Two-feet in will be even more ingrained than before (if I had waited just a second later, I might have hit further down, where the tire barrier becomes a concrete wall).
Old 12-15-2008, 11:53 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
doc- I do worry about the people around me and wish them the best and would never endanger another driver intentionally. but as you might be able to surmise from my avatar- I don't really care about my own well-being. life's too short to worry.

I apologize for the OT

I don't even have to ask if you have a wife or teenage daughters like I do. Some day when that happens, you'll change your avatar.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:22 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I don't even have to ask if you have a wife or teenage daughters like I do. Some day when that happens, you'll change your avatar.
Maybe he would just expect them to share his outlook on life.

I suspect his comment to be less about reckless individualism than it appears on the surface, and may just be the result of a thoughtful, holistic way of setting life's priorities. If he really didn't care about his well being, he would smoke, drink, eat junk food, do drugs and sit on his *** all day. If I'm not mistaken, he refrains from all of the above. Not a bad role model for any teenager these days.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:43 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
Maybe he would just expect them to share his outlook on life.

I suspect his comment to be less about reckless individualism than it appears on the surface, and may just be the result of a thoughtful, holistic way of setting life's priorities. If he really didn't care about his well being, he would smoke, drink, eat junk food, do drugs and sit on his *** all day. If I'm not mistaken, he refrains from all of the above. Not a bad role model for any teenager these days.

No arguments. I'm just trying to state things from what I've seen as "the woman's perspective" I live with 3 of em, so maybe I'm a bit brain damaged.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:53 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I live with 3 of em, so maybe I'm a bit brain damaged.
On the other hand, you probably have better table manners.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:16 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

that's correct- never drank, smoked, or done drugs in my life. we all do things for our own reasons, and for me the ends justify the means in regards to what happens on track- no matter what happens to my cars or wallet. I'm going to avoid responding further about my lifestyle as it is so far OT this entire board might explode.

ervtx- did you stay for the race weekend? my buddy greg was up there and took 2 seconds off of his fastest lap time from last month. if everything shakes out positively I might be out there in january to get some OpenWheel to OpenWheel
Old 12-15-2008, 03:48 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

No, had to get back to D. The weather turned cold and windy late on Friday. It took a little more effort to keep the car on line against the wind when cresting the hill before T1, and I could feel it pushing my helmet backwards on the way down to T2. Woke up to rain early on Saturday morning, so I wonder how that translated to lap times.

Open wheel is a hoot. Wish there were more opportunities for that around here. Your helmet does take a beating, however. I've got tiny nicks and dings in mine from debris kicked up by cars in front of me.

Sorry about OT on lifestyle, but dood, you're in the public domain and there's nothing there not to be proud of.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:54 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

So did it cost you an extra $2500 for that damage or was that the repair cost and your insurance took care of it? I'd never heard of the insurance/damage side to these race schools spoken about and you can see why they would have it for sure, just sounds quite high all the same on some of those aforementioned excess amount$.

Quick Reply: 2 Day Advanced Skippy School