Sponsored by:

2 Day Advanced Skippy School

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 03:16 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 2 Day Advanced Skippy School

Has anybody done the 2 Day Advanced School? My parents just bought me this for Christmas. I'm really looking forward to it. I did the 3 Day about 10 years ago and I have been racing a little bit ever since. I think it'll be good to show me how to correct some bad habits and I have never driven a sequential box before. Besides, I've never driven Laguna Seca so that's a treat on it's own.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:40 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,397 Likes on 641 Posts

I did it in october. you will be really lucky to have instruction from mikel miller and grant riley. PM for details.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:51 PM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

I did this a few years ago and enjoyed it. More track time than the 3-day and (obviously) less time in the classroom. The sequential gearbox was pretty cool though trickier to get the hang of than I thought it would be.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad did it a couple of months ago at Road Atlanta. He said getting used to the sequential box was the worst part, that and not being able to pass under braking.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:20 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jarez Mifkin
My dad did it a couple of months ago at Road Atlanta. He said getting used to the sequential box was the worst part, that and not being able to pass under braking.
they must have put him in the slow group...we were allowed to outbrake each other!
Old 12-11-2008, 12:17 AM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this in February at Laguna Seca. You'll have a blast!
Old 12-11-2008, 01:24 PM
vmb
6th Gear

I did the 3-day at Laguna Seca, and the 2-day at VIR. Both awesome, just remember that in the 2-day course you are liable for damage (up to a cap), unlike in the 3-day where you are not liable. A friend doing the 2-day with me rolled the car at hogpen. Got to keep the front wing as a souvenir (he paid for it, though!)

Have fun!
Old 12-11-2008, 03:49 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by vmb
I did the 3-day at Laguna Seca, and the 2-day at VIR. Both awesome, just remember that in the 2-day course you are liable for damage (up to a cap), unlike in the 3-day where you are not liable. A friend doing the 2-day with me rolled the car at hogpen. Got to keep the front wing as a souvenir (he paid for it, though!)

Have fun!
Ouch! How did he roll it?
Old 12-11-2008, 04:49 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

at laguna it's a lot easier to get away with offs in a formula car- those gravel traps catch a lot of people- especially in the turn 2 max braking exercise (the hairpin after front straight and the T1 kink)
Old 12-11-2008, 06:12 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stuttgart46
I believe you are liable in the 3-day as well, and can purchase insurance to cap that liability at $2k/day for around $300/day. But you can get the facts from Skippy's web site or by calling them.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:31 PM
techno99
Racer

Originally Posted by p-cardriver
I believe you are liable in the 3-day as well, and can purchase insurance to cap that liability at $2k/day for around $300/day. But you can get the facts from Skippy's web site or by calling them.
$125/day for MX-5s.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:54 PM
vmb
6th Gear

Originally Posted by stuttgart46
freak accident: warm up lap, cold tires, rain the night before. He slid off in the inside turn, tires dug in the mud, and just a slow, low-impact but nonetheless costly barrel roll.

Seriously though, I swear, this was not me
Old 12-12-2008, 01:17 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by p-cardriver
The racing series which includes open lapping days, instructor lead/follow, race practice days, etc. uses a graduated liability based on assessed skill of the driver. Solid drivers' liability is capped at $5,500 per incident. At the other extreme, "on the bubble" drivers have to assume the full burdened value of the car (67K+). Of course the actual damage allocated to each driver in the event of an incident is based on an assignment of fault. So in theory, you could be involved in an incident and not pay a dime, while the more reckless you are, the more liability you will assume.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:26 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ervtx
The racing series which includes open lapping days, instructor lead/follow, race practice days, etc. uses a graduated liability based on assessed skill of the driver. Solid drivers' liability is capped at $5,500 per incident. At the other extreme, "on the bubble" drivers have to assume the full burdened value of the car (67K+). Of course the actual damage allocated to each driver in the event of an incident is based on an assignment of fault. So in theory, you could be involved in an incident and not pay a dime, while the more reckless you are, the more liability you will assume.
there is no way that one of those cars costs 67k. it's like 2 vespas and a neon engine.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:43 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
there is no way that one of those cars costs 67k. it's like 2 vespas and a neon engine.
Actually, they're $67,500 to be exact. That's the amount quoted in the 2008-2009 Rule Book. They call it the "fully burdened" cost, which probably adds some overhead, certification, setup, delivery, etc. which makes the replacement cost higher than the base manufacturing cost.

It also refers to the Racing Series Formula 2000, which have modest upgrades over the cars used for the 3-day racing school.

Quick Reply: 2 Day Advanced Skippy School