2 Day Advanced Skippy School

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 05:08 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 333pg333
So did it cost you an extra $2500 for that damage or was that the repair cost and your insurance took care of it? I'd never heard of the insurance/damage side to these race schools spoken about and you can see why they would have it for sure, just sounds quite high all the same on some of those aforementioned excess amount$.
In the advanced racing series, there is no insurance per se. Only liability caps. So having paid no insurance beforehand, I'm out only for the cost of the repair. If the damage had been greater (say, $10,000) for slamming the concrete instead of the tire wall, I would have been out only $4500. You can call the difference "insurance", but it's more accurately a liability limit they use to encourage participation by those who could not afford a $10,000 repair. But you do have to be able to afford a $4500 repair

Insurance is something you pay ahead of time to cover the potential of a future accident. This is a pay-by-the-accident model. As I said much earlier in this thread... wish I could get that model for my street cars!
Old 01-17-2009, 01:11 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll be doing the Skip Barber 2-day advanced school this year (bought the 30% discount certificate) and still have not fully decided where to go. As it stands now, I'm between Sebring, Road America and Road Atlanta. I pick these three tracks because I've never been to any of them, think they look like a lot of fun from the youtube videos, and they're far away enough that it's unlikely I'd drive my own car there.

Any thoughts on which track to pick? Right now, I'm leaning towards Road America, but would appreciate hearing your collective wisdom on this.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:02 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,958 Likes on 556 Posts

I've driven both Road America and Road Atlanta...both are a lot of fun. tough choice! but would definitely do those over sebring because of the fun elevation changes...

more I think about it, I'd rather do Road America.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:26 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done Skippy programs at all three but have the fewest laps at Sebring and it was on the short course.

Road Atlanta: Best cars and crew, great but shortest track (good for learning), best fall/spring weather. Most stuff to do outside of the track. Easiest to get flights.

Road America: Best track (if it's full course), best summer weather, high speed straights, the infamous carousel and kink, gets a little boring on the straights in a Skippy car. Quieter surrounding area.

Sebring: Best winter weather, bumpy as heck (cars jump around and they feel like rattle cans), good crew. Make sure it's the full course and not "modified" or "new Sebring". Least upscale of the three.

I would choose Road Atlanta.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:34 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Based on these recommendations, I think it's settled - Road America it is. I'm also going to see what I can do to get in some lapping sessions at Road Atlanta, as that track looks like a ton of fun, too. Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-17-2009, 11:09 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Before you book confirm they are using the full course. They usually do for the Advanced two-day and the Race cars (versus a three-day in school cars which uses a shortened course). If not, then go to Road Atlanta.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:55 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by fuenfer
Based on these recommendations, I think it's settled - Road America it is. I'm also going to see what I can do to get in some lapping sessions at Road Atlanta, as that track looks like a ton of fun, too. Thanks for the advice!
Come on out to Laguna Seca and run with us.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp
Before you book confirm they are using the full course. They usually do for the Advanced two-day and the Race cars (versus a three-day in school cars which uses a shortened course). If not, then go to Road Atlanta.
Skills wise it would be better if they used the short course. The long course cuts out the front straight and the straight between 3 and 5 which eat up a LOT of seat time when all you do is push the pedal all the way down.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:43 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Skills wise it would be better if they used the short course. The long course cuts out the front straight and the straight between 3 and 5 which eat up a LOT of seat time when all you do is push the pedal all the way down.
Yes but without the straights, T1, T3, and heavy braking into 5 it's not the full experience and thus the recommendation to go to Road Atlanta.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:08 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I always feel like I'm getting ripped off when I go to Sebring and have to run anything besides the long course.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:47 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes but without the straights, T1, T3, and heavy braking into 5 it's not the full experience and thus the recommendation to go to Road Atlanta.
True, if you want the experience of driving a course make sure it's the full course. However if learning is the main reason, the full course wastes time that could be used working on the repetitive exercises.

The two straights take up almost half the time spent on course. A bit over a minute in my FC.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:11 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stuttgart46
Come on out to Laguna Seca and run with us.
I did my 3-day at Laguna - it's a fantastic course, the instructors (Grant Riley et al.) are great and the surrounding area is beautiful. I will likely do a lapping day or another ADV2 at Laguna in the future, but for now, I want to try another course. In any case, you'll have a great time out there.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:12 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Confirmed - it's the full course.

Quick Reply: 2 Day Advanced Skippy School