Sponsored by:

Hoosier A6 on the track

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:29 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Whether you drive at 100% or 50%, I don't see any point in burning up expensive tires when whether you turn a 2:00 on Hoosiers of a 2:03 on Toyo's matters not one bit. It has nothing to do with putting down DE's. If you're not interested in the expense of racing, why spend so much $$ to buy tires that cost more while only lasting 1/3 to 1/5 as long? Funny you mention tires though...the ONLY difference in cost between a race weekend and DE weekend for us is that we run new tires on a race weekend and old tires on a DE weekend. If you're not saving $$ on tires by running DE's instead of races, what are you saving $$ on? Still need entry fees, towing fees, hotels, meals, fuel, pre-event car prep, etc, etc. for a DE. Where are the cost savings?

Driving 100% at a DE is all relative anyway...at the last DE I attended, I think I got maybe 2-3 turns per lap where I wasn't having to check up for the car in front of me. Even in "pass anywhere" instructor groups, you can't hang on the edge like you can in a race rules group, either because the person in front can't stick their arm out the window in the middle of negotiating a turn or because it wouldn't be wise to go into a turn a few inches from a street car without any proper safety devices.
This is all true.

Further, what you consider to be 100% in DE is not the 100% you'll run in racing. Trust me, ZAPmobile, as I used to think just as you do.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:06 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

The REAL fast Griggs mustang with the 650hp detuned Roush motor was running A6s as part of his winning strategy. He ran them at Sears and Laguna with no issues. I had the same concerns about the A6s and he said they didnt go away and were lasting just fine. However, i have to agree with Mr Watts, for DE, get some Toyo RAs from the garbage can and go hog wild on them. at the worst, maybe you would lose a second They are good til the cords! I just ran a 2:00 at thunderhill on a set with 20 heat cycles and 3000miles of street driving!

as a side note, the only thing that I have found that wasnt much fun, was racing or even running on hard-as-stone hoosiers that looked good, but werent.

mk
Old 12-05-2008, 02:15 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Could not agree more. Once you start racing, you'll want to sink all of your money towards sticky race tires, and will relegate dead Hoosiers and anything else you can get your hands on for DE's.
That's true. I occasionally take a right seat rider in DE, and almost every time the first thing they notice is the 2S tires - Square and Slidey. The last day of the last SP event on hoos that had two race weekends on them, the vibration for the first lap or two was scary! The same guys that run sticker rubber for a race might just run any old rubbish for a DE.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:08 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
This is all true.

Further, what you consider to be 100% in DE is not the 100% you'll run in racing. Trust me, ZAPmobile, as I used to think just as you do.
I think this is the one exception to the rule where Arnie knows EXACTLY what the difference is between DE and racing. Arnie is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time club racer that has moved to DE and actually spends more time giving back and instructing than actually getting to run.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:03 AM
pnorwood
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Good point.

I spent most of my money on women and racing, and the rest I just wasted foolishly.
It's all about the 3 P's, baby. Planes, Porsches and P _ _ _ _ .
Old 12-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
I think this is the one exception to the rule where Arnie knows EXACTLY what the difference is between DE and racing. Arnie is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time club racer that has moved to DE and actually spends more time giving back and instructing than actually getting to run.
Come on Dell, get up to speed! If you aren't doing it today, you can't possibly know a thing!
Old 12-05-2008, 10:25 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Bob, but it wasn't listed in my rookie manual!
Old 12-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pnorwood
Welcome aboard Paul!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:14 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, Dell, for the kind words. It looks as though I have started a controversy here, and I do not want to hijack the original thread, so I am going to start a new thread with this very question. By the way, none of you has explained why you put down people who participate in DE and do not race. I think it would make a great topic for a new discussion, so come on over, and explain yourselves.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:16 AM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DanR
Like a plonker I accidently bought some A6 Hoosiers instead of R6's. I read an article in last months grrassroots which suggested that they were ok for track use. Anyone used them on the track and experiences (will only use them for DE and)?

or should I just sell them on?
This past year the A6 started showing up in the 944 Cup series on a regular basis, most notably for the guys finishing in the top 5, with no out of the ordinary issues. As explained to me by the Hoosier rep at the track, they come in faster then the R6 and last just as long if not overdriven. So if your prone to throw the car around alot, they can get too hot and fall off some, but will come back with backing off.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:17 AM
DanR
Drifting

hijack away, I have my answer!
Old 12-05-2008, 11:32 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The new thread is posted. Have fun!
Old 12-05-2008, 11:42 AM
pnorwood
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Welcome aboard Paul!
Howdie...
Old 12-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,667 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by pnorwood
booyah
Old 12-05-2008, 11:47 AM
pnorwood
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
booyah
I just want your avitar! And I'm not talking about a jpg...

Quick Reply: Hoosier A6 on the track