Sponsored by:

Garage lift, 2 post VS 4 post

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Garage lift, 2 post VS 4 post

Starting research on lifts. 4 post vs 2 post, and why? I have 12' ceilings and 6" concrete floor. Only issue with the floor is the radiant heat. If I go with a 2 post I will also need to brace against the ceiling.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do you need to brace against the ceiling with a 2-post? Because of the radiant heat?

Really, the biggest question is whether you are getting a lift for storage or to work on your car. 4-post is better for storage, 2-post is better for work.

Last edited by Bryan Watts; 11-12-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have some 4-posts...
Very easy to use and get on.
Mainly have just for storage.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are buying the lift for storage (rather than maintenance), you may consider a single post lift.
They have exceptionally low floor loading (can even be used outdoors on asphalt), low ceiling height and do not need to be bolted to the floor (although you can get rollers for a 4 post lift as well).
I've had a single post lift for a few years (the only wrenching I do is on my son's kart.....) and have been very happy with it
Old 11-12-2008, 03:16 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Is your radiant floor electric or does it have water/antifreeze flowing through it?
Either way I would guess that you don't want to drill into it and that would be a requirement for a 2 post lift.
You can get a 4 post lift that accepts a hydrolic jack and you'd have the benefit of both worlds...
Old 11-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Another option is a scissor lift. Great for race car prep, maintance llike oil changes etc.. My only difficultity is getting to the center tunnel for work in there. Other wise for the money its awsome.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:48 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Why do you need to brace against the ceiling with a 2-post? Because of the radiant heat?

Really, the biggest question is whether you are getting a lift for storage or to work on your car. 4-post is better for storage, 2-post is better for work.
+1, i looked at this hard last year. Several factors to look at. If you are going to work on the car the two poster is better, you can buy a jack that will work with a 4 post lift, it is a compromise however they are expensive and if you only buy one you can only lift up front or back at once. Low clearance car 4 post easier. If you have limited garage space you can put a 4 post lift on wheels and roll it around or move it when not in use.

I decided on going with a for post with jacks because I wanted a wide one that i could put my car trailer on and store in over the winter since the wife will not let me keep it outside. was going to put wheels on to to roll it around if I needed more room. but if your doing brakes tires and oil every other week the two poster is best.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gasser
Another option is a scissor lift. Great for race car prep, maintance llike oil changes etc.. My only difficultity is getting to the center tunnel for work in there. Other wise for the money its awsome.
In the research I've done, the scissor lifts seem to cost as much or more than the 2-post lifts. I'm probably building a house soon and have been researching 2-post and scissor lifts. Here's a multi-page thread I started over on Bimmerforums.com:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1112292
Old 11-12-2008, 04:08 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

two post is absolutely the best and most versitile. Radiant heat can be a problem but contractors can detect the water flow and often can drill around it.

I use a 4-post for storage, but I don't work on my own car...
Old 11-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

In the research I've done, the scissor lifts seem to cost as much or more than the 2-post lifts. I'm probably building a house soon and have been researching 2-post and scissor lifts. Here's a multi-page thread I started over on Bimmerforums.com:

Yes I agree. Sometimes its just nice to have options. I have a stampd and stained concrete floor. You can't tell from the pic from all the sanding dust. I can also move my lift from side to side if needed.

I have been very happy with this lift and at 1400 bucks delivered and really no real assembly required, it was a no brainer for me.

Jeff
Old 11-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 289 Posts

I was looking into the asymmetrical 2 post units because you can open the doors fully if need be. That type would put a fairly high load on the anchor bolts because of the rear engine car. I know I can locate the water tubes but I would feel better if I also braced against the ceiling/and or side wall. This lift is for doing minor work on my cars, not for storage.

Right bay is 17 feet wide inside and 44 feet deep. That bay also has a utility room at the far end under the stairwell. Most 4 post lifts require ramps and the ramps would stick out too far to keep another car behind it and still use the lift. BTW, garage is still in tyvek, going into its third winter. Doors are on and the cars are inside.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:37 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Bryan-
Let me build your house and I'll throw in the lift for free !
How many garage bays do you want 3, 4, 5...?
Old 11-12-2008, 07:40 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

I have an asymmetrical 2 post and radiant heat. Has worked great for ~8 years now with no extra bracing (not sure why you think you need it)...

Btw, I might be missing it, but where is the insulation in the floor in that picture?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:08 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's under the vapor barrier...

Nice garage BTW.

Originally Posted by DrJupeman

Btw, I might be missing it, but where is the insulation in the floor in that picture?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:37 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

For truly exhaustive discussions on lift options in all variations and applications, surf around on www.garagejournal.com They'd also like to see your garage.
my project here, although no lift since all it takes to raise the current racecar is a hoist hook through the roll hoop.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=5272

Quick Reply: Garage lift, 2 post VS 4 post