Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage lift, 2 post VS 4 post

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 289 Posts

2" foam at walls @ 48" depth with foil bubble stuff on grade around perimeter. Inner earth to act as heat sink. I just do not trust anchoring the post to the concrete only. Maybe I would if I had planned a reinforced area to start with.
Next question. Brands that you trust?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:42 PM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like others have said - 4 post for storage and 2 post for working. I have a Rotary assymetric 2-post and it's great. Make sure whichever brand you get you get arms that will go under your car. Many lifts have a minimum height of 4+ inches which is a problem for track cars. Rotary sells "Porsche Arms" with very low, cushioned, screw up adapters. Again that's the way to go. My company sells Rotary lifts so I can't say that I'm impartial but I do know what to get. The rear engine is not an issue, as long as you have at least 4-1/2 inches of concrete for the anchors a 3,000 pound car can be lifted just about any way you want (each arm can lift 2,500 pounds on its own). If the balance bothers you just put the front wheels in front of the spotting dish. You do need to be aware of balance if you're picking up a dually. There really isn't any way to attach any lift to the ceiling that I'm aware of and it certainly is not neccessary. You also need to decide between single and 3 phase current - 3 phase lifts faster and is more expensive. I have single phase and it's fine.
It's the best investment for that awesome garage you can make
Cheers
Randy
Old 11-12-2008, 11:03 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 post can be for both too. My home made rig for storage on wheels drive on and off with only a 2 inch ramp. With lift fully extended the bottom of the arms are 6 feet from the floor opening up the area under the car form use. 4 post lifts take up a lot of space if room is tight. 2 post lifts do not need any bracing. Install per recommendations and use with confidence.

Last edited by kurt M; 07-26-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Bryan-
Let me build your house and I'll throw in the lift for free !
How many garage bays do you want 3, 4, 5...?
Based on the houses shown on your website, methinks my 1800-2000 SF Bungalow on a 0.13 acre lot with a 2-3 bay garage basement is probably a smaller project than you normally do.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:51 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonH
For truly exhaustive discussions on lift options in all variations and applications, surf around on www.garagejournal.com They'd also like to see your garage.
my project here, although no lift since all it takes to raise the current racecar is a hoist hook through the roll hoop.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=5272
Nice site. I put some of my garage blog there.
Looks like it will be a 2 post unit for me when the time comes, and I will brace it to the ceiling. Afterall, I am a McGiever sort of guy. (sp)

Quick Reply: Garage lift, 2 post VS 4 post