Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Five questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 01:08 AM
Johninrsf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The two links I provided speak for themselves (and volumes, IMO).
And are you implying the FFR is going to be anywhere close to the Porsche in Performance?
Old 11-12-2008, 01:22 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,169 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Johninrsf
The two links I provided speak for themselves (and volumes, IMO).
What does your first link prove? What are you trying to prove? That you have some type of "thing" against Factory Five cars? Did one bump into you in a prking lot or something? What's your deal?
They are a blast to drive, that is all that counts.

As for the 2nd link - do not see what your point is. Want me to start posting videos of Porsche's flying through the air? How about bursting into flames?

And are you implying the FFR is going to be anywhere close to the Porsche in Performance?
"The Porsche"..... Does that mean I get to pick the year / model / engine before I answer the question?

Last time I was on the track with my FFR I passed a 996TT with ease. Does that count?
Old 11-12-2008, 02:43 AM
Johninrsf
Racer

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
What does your first link prove? What are you trying to prove? That you have some type of "thing" against Factory Five cars? Did one bump into you in a prking lot or something? What's your deal?
They are a blast to drive, that is all that counts.

As for the 2nd link - do not see what your point is. Want me to start posting videos of Porsche's flying through the air? How about bursting into flames?

"The Porsche"..... Does that mean I get to pick the year / model / engine before I answer the question?

Last time I was on the track with my FFR I passed a 996TT with ease. Does that count?
I now see you are a FF owner. I don't mean any disrespect and if you re-read my original post I think I said they are a blast to drive --actually I think I said exhilarating. I have nothing against them as a street car. But, we're all products of our experience, and I happened to be at the track (tho not racing) when Dan Lawson was killed. It made an impact on my psyche. I was also at the track when the other incident I referred to took place. The video of the carnage in FFR races on top of all that hit my hot button. You may be able to dig up some Porsche deaths, but I'm not aware of any here in the West in the years I've been racing. And, I'm curious now what the experience requirements are and what the certification process is to be able to race in the FFR Challenge.
As to the Porsche being faster, I was responding to the original post by CT03911 who is considering selling his 04 GT3. So that's the car I said could run circles around the FFR (with comparable drivers in each car). And he'd be doing it with a street car. I know; I've owned both! If he wants a track car, why not build or buy a vastly superior Porsche track car --BTW, is this a Porsche Forum or am I in the wrong place?
Old 11-12-2008, 03:18 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Is it a Corvette suspension, or some kind of home-made job? And wouldn't you want to redesign a Corvette suspension if you shifted the engine weight to the other end of the chassis?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:03 AM
RSchoeni
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like they say: modern trumps vintage. Although it was a FFR that won the 2007 NASA ST2 Championship at Mid-O.

BTW, is this a Porsche Forum or am I in the wrong place?
You are here...
Rennlist Discussion Forums > Performance & Competition Discussion Areas > Racing & Drivers Education Forum > Factory Five questions.

And, I'm curious now what the experience requirements are and what the certification process is to be able to race in the FFR Challenge.
Why not ask Spencer Pumpelly (a former spec-series driver).

On topic, from the FFR GTM website, it looks like you use Corvette C5 suspension pieces and ffr-spec'd Koni adjustables.

http://www.factoryfive.com/gtmhome.html
_____
bs

Last edited by RSchoeni; 11-12-2008 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Add link
Old 11-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

As to the Porsche being faster, I was responding to the original post by CT03911 who is considering selling his 04 GT3. So that's the car I said could run circles around the FFR (with comparable drivers in each car). And he'd be doing it with a street car. I know; I've owned both! If he wants a track car, why not build or buy a vastly superior Porsche track car --BTW, is this a Porsche Forum or am I in the wrong place?
The OP didn't ask about the FFR...have you read the thread? You keep commenting on the FFR, which has nothing to do with the GTM the OP is asking about.

Let's make this clear:

FFR (your posts): http://www.factoryfive.com/chalhome.html
GTM (OP's posts): http://www.factoryfive.com/gtmhome.html

And your video proves nothing about the FFR. I've seen Porsche's and BMW's do the exact some thing. I've seen much much worse in open wheel cars and karts. Looks like a rather mundane incident to me...no one got hurt and there was no big impact.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

here are pictures and info from a GTM build:

http://forums.corner-carvers.com/showthread.php?t=25746

Personally I wouldn't trade the GT3 for it. I wouldn't race or seriously track the GTM without a few cage modifications, fiberglass doors need more than one diagonal bar to protect the driver in my opinion. The problem with a lot of these kit cars is that even the well done ones still feel like a kit, they have the speed simply because they are light with big powerplants but they really don't have the refinement of a production car or a well built racecar. For the build cost of a GTM you could buy a 996 cupcar...
Old 11-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

GTM:
Attached Images  
Old 11-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Johninrsf
Racer

[QUOTE=Bryan Watts;5992801]The OP didn't ask about the FFR...have you read the thread? You keep commenting on the FFR, which has nothing to do with the GTM the OP is asking about.
QUOTE]

Oops! you're right, Bryan --my experience and comments are about the Cobra --sorry, I should have read the thread more completely --what I did read referred to the FFR so I just assumed the OP was going to build a FFR. My bad!! I don't know anything about the GTM. I looked for an "embarrassed" smilie, but didn't see one!
Old 11-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Seems to me that if you have a hankering for a raw, purist, home-brew track car, you're better off:

1. Building some sort of Caterham clone. I do worry about the safety of these things, though.

2. Buy a Radical, Ariel Atom and that level of car. Gotta be some repossessions coming!

3. One of those motorcycle engine, fiberglass track-only cars (Baby Grand?).

4. An old Panoz.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:38 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm also gonna vote for an Ultima at that price.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:22 PM
CT03911
Banned

The factory visit was interesting. Some comments:
Yes this is a Pcar forum. I do own one and am in love with it. We probably all consider other rides from time to time. I am not as in love with what a 3100# GT3 does to pads, rotors and rubber and limited slips on a routine basis, but that's all part of the game. I value many of the opinions here and was seeking information where I could get it.
I respect the performance I see out of late model Corvette's and that seed once planted began to grow when an old friend began tracking a FF GTM (not Cobra replica) and another friend has deep Corvette knowledge and build experience. I haven't driven one yet, my friend has his car in Atlanta.
I am simply wondering how fun a 2300# car with maybe 430+ hp and torque to match must feel. No one is offering me a ride in their race car I am interested in the build, in knowing more of what is in my car and actually setting it up. All are factors.
Basically, many cars, including some Pcars could fit the bill here, but I'm thinking not too many have the specs a Factory Five GTM has at that cost. It looks like 60k would do it and 500 hours of time. The car needs more cage, a cold air intake system and perhaps some aero mod's too. That and the standard track fitments, fire surpression, etc. I don't see why a Pcar would outperform this car in any area of a track. It's all about the footprint of the four wheels and how to design a car over them to make it happen.
My original post was hoping to generate feedback from someone who might already own one, or has real experience in this area. All comments are, of course, welcome.
I'm just interested in being more mechanically involved and moving into a faster car would be fun.
I'll be looking at a lot of sources for more info but will listen to any and all feedback. By the way, the GTM uses a Porsche transaxle, the latest builds a GT2 or GT3 rear end.
For what it's worth, the FF guys were very low key. They never even asked my last name or where I was from. No standard car sales bs.
They figure if the car is right for you, they will answer questions and let you decide. Don't think they want to talk guys into their product.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:13 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just saw this car at SEMA. Pics don't do it justice. I would really like to build one but with a diesel. Just don't know if it will fit. A Duramax from PPE at 1200hp and 1500 tq would be a screamer and I make my own bio for a buck a gallon. I would be making it more of a street car though. I just wonder if there's a lot of wind noise, or if it will feel like a kit car when it's done. Great car though.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:44 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

http://millenniumcustomauto.com/comp...pper/Itemid,8/

check out these cars

a friend of mine here on long island is a dealer for these cars , supposedly this car out performs the gtm
Old 11-13-2008, 10:53 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
I just saw this car at SEMA. Pics don't do it justice. I would really like to build one but with a diesel. Just don't know if it will fit. A Duramax from PPE at 1200hp and 1500 tq would be a screamer and I make my own bio for a buck a gallon. I would be making it more of a street car though. I just wonder if there's a lot of wind noise, or if it will feel like a kit car when it's done. Great car though.
forget the car, your girlfriend is hot!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Factory Five questions.