Video VBOX from Racelogic

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 10:31 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Video VBOX from Racelogic

Just received a product alert for this via email... didn't see pricing anywhere; available in January.

(The car is a Caterham. Never seen one in person, but on GT4 I've found them to be the closest performance match to the Skip Barber Formula Fords).

Old 11-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.videovbox.co.uk
Old 11-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That looks really cool. Hopeful on the pricing to line up with current solns for separate data logger and vid.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:51 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Old thread bump - anyone use or seen this system used? I saw an ad for it in a recent evo mag and I really like the data overlay with the track map.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Anyone knows what's this track? I do remember seeing this track in GT Purely Porsche magazine, there was a test of an IROC 911.

c.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Caldwell Park
Old 03-22-2011, 06:02 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The VBox has no CAN interface for a Cup Car ECU.... I know because I have a VBox and am returning it.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,236 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Peter, don't do that yet. Check your e-mail.

I like the one-box system, the accuracy of the GPS and the way the video can be manipulated side-by-side and at particular points on track. The CAN interface does work with the 997 and 997 GT3 street cars.

I've been promised an imminent solution on the 996/997 Cup (competition) cars and the 996 GT3 street cars. As a matter of fact, I'm counting on it!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 03-22-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Caldwell Park
Actually, it's "Cadwell" Park!
Old 03-23-2011, 12:49 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Peter, don't do that yet. Check your e-mail.

I like the one-box system, the accuracy of the GPS and the way the video can be manipulated side-by-side and at particular points on track. The CAN interface does work with the 997 and 997 GT3 street cars.

I've been promised an imminent solution on the 996/997 Cup (competition) cars and the 996 GT3 street cars. As a matter of fact, I'm counting on it!
Peter- got your e-mail. Even if I get the CAN interface corrected, the MoTec dash In the car is more robust than the VBox software. I also would still have to buy an additional brake pressure sensor (2 actually in the 997 Cup due to the dual master cylinders) which would make a total of 4 then due to the MoTec's already present brake press sensor and I still cant link the video with all the MoTec info real time.

I just think the VBox is a great solution for a street car but not a competition car with a separate onboard data acquisition system.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:17 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I'll be interested in the 996 Cup version of this, so let me know. For the 997 Cup I would probably unlock some of the expensive MoTeC kit already installed in the car by Porsche, but for the 996 Cup it's all add in.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:50 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by PedroNole
the MoTec dash... cant link the video with all the MoTec info real time.

I just think the VBox is a great solution for a street car but not a competition car with a separate onboard data acquisition system.
You're right. Having the MoTeC is the big plus for the 997 Cup and I understand you were looking for a better video solution than the VCS or the ChaseCam. I still think there is a way to get the CAN out from the MoTeC to the VBOX so as not to require additional sensors, but I'm early in the curve on interoptibility. Thanks and good luck!

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
I'll be interested in the 996 Cup version of this, so let me know. For the 997 Cup I would probably unlock some of the expensive MoTeC kit already installed in the car by Porsche, but for the 996 Cup it's all add in.
I'll keep you posted. I sell, use and train on a lot of data systems and the VBOX is one elegant, inexpensive solution. The MoTeC is the best, period, but it's like everything else. You want to ride the train, you've got to buy the ticket!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Mike-B
3rd Gear

Smile

Hi guys, Mike Broadbent from Racelogic here

Just thought I'd clear up exactly what we can and cannot provide in terms of Porsche CAN.

Firstly, the place to check on what we do have is here - and if you are a Video VBOX owner you can download the CAN ID files from this page.

To date we can provide IDs for the following:

996 road cars: RPM, Accel pedal position, Wheel speeds.

997 road cars: Steering Direction, RPM, Wheel Speeds, Park Switch, Reverse Switch, Steering Angle, Vehicle Speed, Lights, Ignition Switch, Brake Pedal Position, Throttle Position Sensor.

Cup Cars (996 & 997 - when it comes to the Cup they're the same): Relative Air Charge, Ignition Advance, Wheel Speed, Airbox Pressure, Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure, Throttle Position, RPM.

You will note that the IDs available for the 996 are significantly less than that of the 997. This is because the 996's CAN Bus is rather more basic than the 997, and because the only thing we've managed to ascertain thus far about the 996 is that it's the same as the Boxster; and when we reverse-engineered the Boxster we didn't get a chance to get very much from it.

Happily, we are getting a 996 GT2 in for investigation within the next couple of weeks. With luck we will get a couple more useful IDs, boost being the one we are principally chasing. There won't be very much more that will aid driver development such as steering angle, because there aren't enough sensors on the car to provide the CAN data in the first place. As soon as we have verified what there is, it'll be in the database.

I am putting together a Cup car package right now that will include a cable and a preloaded scene which will make the system completely plug and play for any Cup owner.

When it comes to decoding Motec CAN this is a bit more problematical. Motec use multiplexed CAN messages, and we can't extrapolate the data from this type of frame... yet. We're working on it.

If anyone wants to contact me by email please feel free - the address on our website comes straight to me

Quick Reply: Video VBOX from Racelogic