Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMB transponder customers get shafted

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 08:54 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Who cares about logging into Mylaps? You can still see the times. The only thing you don't have it the ability to view the user info correctly.

My racecar had the AMB already installed and on all the timing and scoring sheets it lists my name as well as on the Mylaps website for the results.

So I guess the only benefit to buying a brand new unit is the ability to go onto Mylaps and create a profile???

Still, a real crappy policy at AMB and makes absolutely NO SENSE AT ALL!!!! There is a reason GREED is one of the seven deadly sins and they are practicing it at it's fullest.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Who cares about logging into Mylaps? You can still see the times. The only thing you don't have it the ability to view the user info correctly.

My racecar had the AMB already installed and on all the timing and scoring sheets it lists my name as well as on the Mylaps website for the results.

So I guess the only benefit to buying a brand new unit is the ability to go onto Mylaps and create a profile???

Still, a real crappy policy at AMB and makes absolutely NO SENSE AT ALL!!!! There is a reason GREED is one of the seven deadly sins and they are practicing it at it's fullest.
If you are registered with MyLaps you have the ability to see ALL of your individual laptimes and ALL of your competitors laptimes. You can also directly compare all of your race laps to a competitors and graph it out, getting usefull info on the pace throughout the race. All of your events are saved in your account allowing you to look back at past performances without having to spend a bunch of time searching all over the web. If you aren't registered you can only see the best time run in the session.

Depending on how busy the timing person is you may be able to get them to print up all of the times in the session and give it to you, but it is a hassle to do this and not likely to happen if your race is at the end of the day. You could also write down all of your times when they are posted at the track but it is also a hassle, especially when all of the info is easily available online.

According to AMB, MyLaps is a "free service" provided to the original owner of the transponder, I feel MyLaps is part of what you are buying when you pay over $400 for a simple timing device. The irritating thing is that up until about 3 weeks ago you were able to unregister a transponder simply online - AMB made the concious decision to remove this feature from the website to gouge another $250 out of transponder owners. Imagine if Apple made owners of used Ipods pay an additional 60% of retail just so they could get into Itunes...
Old 11-07-2008, 12:01 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Who cares about logging into Mylaps?
Ho ho ho, rookie racer....
Old 11-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Owners of used transponders would be smarter to spend the $250 towards buying a low priced data acquisition system, that would be a lot more usefull to your development as a driver than MyLaps.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:30 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 246 Posts

If they insist on charging, they would also be smarter to charge a lower fee and allow a user to re-register an existing transponder versus a trade-in policy. Its not just the money thats an issue - uninstalling an existing unit, mailing it, installing the new unit, then contacting all the organizations you run with of the new number is all a PIA. I don't like it, but I would be willing to pay a fee. I am not willing to do all the other stuff.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
Owners of used transponders would be smarter to spend the $250 towards buying a low priced data acquisition system, that would be a lot more usefull to your development as a driver than MyLaps.
This is fine for track days, but not for racing. Having your transponder registered to someone else would make a mess of race results.

I think a letter to Mylaps is in order, and not a happy one.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
This is fine for track days, but not for racing. Having your transponder registered to someone else would make a mess of race results.

I think a letter to Mylaps is in order, and not a happy one.
The transponder would still be in your name - assuming you included the transponder ID number in your club race registration form, it's just that you would lose the MyLaps funtionality if the transponder went to anyone other than the original purchaser.

I included the email address to AMB's US office in my original post if you wish to send them a message.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Nice web site there joker, seems like something is....... missing.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:21 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously? NO other transponder company?
Old 11-07-2008, 01:37 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Seriously? NO other transponder company?
The tracks would not want to replace all of their timing infrastructure/software for another company.

There have been people who use AMB hardware but write their own software/website, but it is a very very small number.
Some track owners simply don't put results up on the AMB website.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:53 PM
95ONE
Race Car

The GPS devices have huge advantages, but I can clearly see the fun in comparing your times against others with the AMB. I think a Chinese equivalent should be around $50 retail? I'm guessing the transponder numbers HAVE to be organized so as not to Double up. Yeah, quite the monopoly.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Imagine if Apple made owners of used Ipods pay an additional 60% of retail just so they could get into Itunes...
Imagine if Apple forced you to return their laptops and Ipods and Iphones to the store or factory for something as simple as a battery change. Oh, wait...
Old 11-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 95ONE
The GPS devices have huge advantages, but I can clearly see the fun in comparing your times against others with the AMB. I think a Chinese equivalent should be around $50 retail? I'm guessing the transponder numbers HAVE to be organized so as not to Double up. Yeah, quite the monopoly.
If all you want are lap times then there are cheaper solutions. People get AMB's because that's what most racing organizations require.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:58 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Hey! I resemble that remark

And that is the basis for my point earlier. I have a full blown DA system with GPS (AIM) and accurate lap timing to within 1/100th of a second from what my AMB is providing (verified this past race weekend). For me I could care less about the Mylaps functionality. As long as I can go over my AIM data and have accurate data I am happy. And the AIM data is much more rich and functional than what Mylaps offers. If they had a small admin fee to change ownership (say a $25 reprogram fee) then I could possible understand but not $250+!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

And that is the basis for my point earlier. I have a full blown DA system with GPS (AIM) and accurate lap timing to within 1/100th of a second from what my AMB is providing (verified this past race weekend). For me I could care less about the Mylaps functionality. As long as I can go over my AIM data and have accurate data I am happy. And the AIM data is much more rich and functional than what Mylaps offers. If they had a small admin fee to change ownership (say a $25 reprogram fee) then I could possible understand but not $250+!!!
You're missing an important point. Logging into Mylaps allows you to compare your lap times to those of your competitors. You can pick an competitor and do a lap by lap comparison of his times vs. your times. Yes, your DA system tells you everything you need to know about what you're doing. What does it tell you about what your competitors are doing?

Quick Reply: AMB transponder customers get shafted