Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMB transponder customers get shafted

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 03:19 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't necessarily think that is important but rather a nice function. I know how I am stacking up against my competition DURING the weekend. I also know what I can and can't do within my limits and that of the car. Post hoc comparison isn't necessarily that good if you do not have all the inputs to go with the laps for comparison (entry speed, exit speed, lateral G's, etc, etc, etc). Times don't tell you anything other than who was faster than whom.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Child
What does it tell you about what your competitors are doing?
I thought that's what the windshield and back windows are used for. If they're not in sight, you've got a whole lot bigger issues than can be addressed by comparing lap times.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:45 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 770 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Hey! I resemble that remark

And that is the basis for my point earlier. I have a full blown DA system with GPS (AIM) and accurate lap timing to within 1/100th of a second from what my AMB is providing (verified this past race weekend). For me I could care less about the Mylaps functionality. As long as I can go over my AIM data and have accurate data I am happy. And the AIM data is much more rich and functional than what Mylaps offers. If they had a small admin fee to change ownership (say a $25 reprogram fee) then I could possible understand but not $250+!!!

Well, it's really good for those of us that DON'T have a full DA system....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 11-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
I thought that's what the windshield and back windows are used for. If they're not in sight, you've got a whole lot bigger issues than can be addressed by comparing lap times.
True, but you don't necessarily see your competitors during qualifying. You also don't see them for a while when you get separated by pits stops in an enduro. Ever wondered about your competitors' qualifying strategies? Ever wondered how the heck a particular car ended up ahead of you or behind you when you exited the pits? Ever wondered if someone really spent the required 5 minutes in the pits? Besides, I just find it interesting to see the timing detail after the race. I'm in accounting. I enjoy looking at tables full of numbers
Old 11-07-2008, 06:24 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 770 Likes on 384 Posts

Dell just doesnt want everyone seeing HIS times..... might be a bit embarassing...
Old 11-07-2008, 07:15 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,687 Likes on 785 Posts

AMB just merged with another company, both owned by public company HAL.
The company will change a lot I think, I was wondering how they will survive based on their actions the last 6-12 months. Now it starts to make sence.

I will post the press release Monday..
Old 11-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I wonder how difficult it would be to take a raw data file and shred it? I bet with about a week of work, I could put together a much better website than AMB had.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:56 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Last April AMB i.t. informed you that HAL Investments acquired 100% of the shares in AMB after having been a minority shareholder in AMB since 1998. Today we are pleased to inform you that on October 29th 2008, HAL Investment acquired 100% of the shares of the ChampionChip Group, which includes ChampionChip B.V., ChampionChip Nederland B.V. and Sport-Track.com B.V.

The ChampionChip activities will be grouped together with those of AMB i.t.. The ChampionChip Group operates globally and is active in the development and production of sports identification and timing equipment for sports events such as running and cycling events. ChampionChip employs about 65 people worldwide.

This new combination brings together over 25 years of experience and passion in sports identification and timing solutions in both the motorized and active sports markets. It will continue to focus on the acquisition, analysis and publication of relevant results to both athletes and sports organizations. By collecting more and more relevant data it will be possible to enhance the sports experience even further for participants of sports events but also for fans and time keepers. Bas van Rens, currently CEO of AMB i.t. will head up the new combination.

What are the benefits for you?

ChampionChip brings an extensive network of experienced and qualified timekeepers to the new Group.

The experience and product offering of ChampionChip for mass market events and global positioning (GPS) combined with the solutions of AMB creates an extremely comprehensive product portfolio that offers you a truly total time keeping solution, ranging from event registration to result publication and result sharing, for every type of active and motorized sports events around the world.

International presence of AMB in the US, Japan and Australia, combined with a multilingual sales & support force will provide better local service, allowing us to further improve the level of expertise and support that you have grown to expect from us.

We will be able to combine resources, speed up our product development process and bring new technological innovations to the game.

We look forward to work with you and take timekeeping to the next level.
For more information please visit our website www.amb-it.com. If you have further questions regarding this announcement your account manager is available for more details. Or you can contact us at telephone number: +31 23 529 1893.
More information will become available on our website and will be sent to you shortly.

Yours sincerely,

Bas van Rens
CEO AMB – ChampionChip
Not sure what it means, but It seemed like AMB was going down hill the last few yeras.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:44 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

True, but you don't necessarily see your competitors during qualifying. You also don't see them for a while when you get separated by pits stops in an enduro. Ever wondered about your competitors' qualifying strategies? Ever wondered how the heck a particular car ended up ahead of you or behind you when you exited the pits? Ever wondered if someone really spent the required 5 minutes in the pits? Besides, I just find it interesting to see the timing detail after the race. I'm in accounting. I enjoy looking at tables full of numbers
Another benefit is that you can log all the track hours on your car. I can see very run session my 03' Cup has ever run from the original owner in the North East, to my sessions out West. Most importantly, I can track engine hours....

As for AMB's new policy, I guess we'll be selling cars without them and moving them to our new cars effectively ruining that ability to track hours....
Old 11-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 13 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hobbs...QQcmdZViewItem

...and you're not dependant on a flaky Dutch company or a ***** on-line database.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

lapchart...i love the lapchart
Old 11-08-2008, 12:10 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Time for someone to reverse engineer the transponders and sell some cheap Chinese clones? At least it would work for timing you in the races even if not on mylaps. I think monopolies are discouraged in this country and that might make AMB wake up and allow ACTUAL transponders to be re-registered on mylaps.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:45 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Time for someone to reverse engineer the transponders and sell some cheap Chinese clones? At least it would work for timing you in the races even if not on mylaps. I think monopolies are discouraged in this country and that might make AMB wake up and allow ACTUAL transponders to be re-registered on mylaps.
Been done already, even when they are not actually copied, just work in the same way without being interchangeable AMB will file suit, hence they have a monopoly in the transponder market.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:44 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I see, even though they can't possibly win that lawsuit, it's not lucrative enough to make clones to fight them over it
Old 11-10-2008, 03:53 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I sent them a note about their website a few months back. I can't recall exactly the response but something to the effect of "thanks, it is a work in progress". I asked them to simply give us the choice to go back to the old style and they didn't respond a second time...
Ditt, me too, when they had updating site on for like a month. He said it would be up by the next day and it was still a week later.

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
In addition to that their website is AWFUL. It was much better before they redid it...
Dittto again.

You're missing an important point. Logging into Mylaps allows you to compare your lap times to those of your competitors. You can pick an competitor and do a lap by lap comparison of his times vs. your times. Yes, your DA system tells you everything you need to know about what you're doing. What does it tell you about what your competitors are doing?

Screw mylaps, just have the seller change his password to something you know, then you can change it again, and use whatever name it's registered to. You get your laps under a different name, they have no clue it's not the other guy driving.

AMB will NOT succeed in trying to take advantage of the enthusiasts.

Quick Reply: AMB transponder customers get shafted