NY Times Article on Car Insurance at the Track

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
Anybody who thinks their "street" insurance policy should cover their antics on a race track...whether "HPDE school" or just dicking about on-track...needs a hard kick in the *****.

I have no enthusiasm for my auto insurance premiums being used to subsidize their dip****tery on-track. You wanna take the risk ? Fine...but don't expect ME to pay for it. Find a risk pool that is smaller but deeper, if you want coverage. Stay the hell away from my "street" risk pool.

...but that's just my opinion.
Well, maybe since I have no ***** to kick I have a differing opinion. I certainly think there is room for abuse of the rules, but I think the rules set up by the track for DEs allow for safe events. Also, if a person has enough claims on their insurance regardless of the location of said claim, they are dropped by insurance and/or their rates escalate. Problem solved.

But here's the real trick: I drive in Austin. I can assure you I have more close calls on my way back and forth to work than I have on the track. I see more accidents on my drive than I see on the track, hands down. The track isn't the problem.

...but that's just my differing non-ball kicked opinion.

(however, I should add that if you cannot afford to lose it, you shouldn't take it to the track.)
Old 10-21-2008, 07:21 PM
dougdep
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody who thinks their "street" insurance policy should cover their antics on a race track...whether "HPDE school" or just dicking about on-track...needs a hard kick in the *****.

I have no enthusiasm for my auto insurance premiums being used to subsidize their dip****tery on-track. You wanna take the risk ? Fine...but don't expect ME to pay for it. Find a risk pool that is smaller but deeper, if you want coverage. Stay the hell away from my "street" risk pool.

you are completely out of line with this rant. You are mssing the point of this discussion and this particular thread. If you want to get off on a tangent you should start another thread and take it there. we can talk about subsidization ad nauseum if you like somewhere else.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:10 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TR6
One of the problems I ran into when looking into track insurance was that, while PCA or BMW DE's were covered, member and private track days weren't. I don't race, just DE. I talked to WSIB earlier this year and found out that they have to specifically certify or add track organizations to their coverage. For example, if you run with Texas World Speedway Motorsports Club, are you covered? If you are doing a member day as a guest, etc, at a track, are you covered? From what I remember from talking with them, I don't think you would be.
You are right, but WSIB is pretty good about confirming coverage if you provide them with the details of the track organization.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Todsimpson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on that, except maybe the ***** thing...

I also think an article in the NY Times on about DE and insurance issues means DE may have "jumped the shark."
Old 10-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrienne
I can assure you I have more close calls on my way back and forth to work than I have on the track. I see more accidents on my drive than I see on the track, hands down. The track isn't the problem.
BZZZZZT.

Wrong-O. A simple knowledge of the statistics, reviewed ad nauseum here on RF, would disclose the significantly HIGHER exposure to risk and loss ratio of track events, compared to "non-track" exposure. Really. At least once a year, somebody tries to make this argument, and is shot down in flames. Better pull the pin on that fire extinguisher, so that you're prepared.

Originally Posted by dougdep
you are completely out of line with this rant. You are mssing the point of this discussion and this particular thread. If you want to get off on a tangent you should start another thread and take it there. we can talk about subsidization ad nauseum if you like somewhere else.
Someone appointed you as the official "Diviner Of Posting Efficacy" ? Handy acronym. The OP was about street insurance not covering track exposure. Missing the point ? Please. Learn to deal with opinions you don't subscribe to, or you'll just come off as a pretentious ***. OK...here's an exercise...YOU tell us what this thread is all about...we're on the edge of our seats...
Old 10-21-2008, 10:13 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Herr Professor gets it right again

when you do DE's and think it can't happen to you, you're the one it will happen to

When you race, it's just a matter of time
Old 10-22-2008, 12:50 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

WSIB seems to be a good option for daily driver or high value DE cars.....but $2250 a year with a $3k deductible to insure my $75k M3 seems like alot, but not really when you look at repair prices.....

Some of the best advice I ever got was "don't take a car to the track you wouldn't mind leaving at the track!" I doubt many of us follow it, but it does make sense.....so I bought an inexpensive (relative term) track car....
Old 10-22-2008, 01:05 AM
Martin Bishop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking with a State Farm insurance broker he claims that they feel DE events and other Car club sanctioned events are designed to help improve driver skill and therefore not specifically excluded from coverage. Now I would keep the correspondence with the broker for later reference if needed. In the event something did happen on track, I would not be surprised if dropped right after the claim was paid. On the other hand most insurance co will typically want to drop you if you have any type of claim.

Last edited by Martin Bishop; 10-22-2008 at 01:06 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-22-2008, 08:14 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 808 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrienne
But here's the real trick: I drive in Austin. I can assure you I have more close calls on my way back and forth to work than I have on the track. I see more accidents on my drive than I see on the track, hands down.
How many of those accidents involved a total loss on a $100k car? In the article they talk about the cost per incident as the issue.

Someone appointed you as the official "Diviner Of Posting Efficacy" ? Handy acronym. The OP was about street insurance not covering track exposure. Missing the point ? Please. Learn to deal with opinions you don't subscribe to, or you'll just come off as a pretentious ***. OK...here's an exercise...YOU tell us what this thread is all about...we're on the edge of our seats...
+1
Old 10-22-2008, 08:44 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin Bishop
Talking with a State Farm insurance broker he claims that they feel DE events and other Car club sanctioned events are designed to help improve driver skill and therefore not specifically excluded from coverage.
Read your policy--it'll take just 20 minutes. The agent cannot bind the company to provide coverage that the policy excludeds. State Farm does not exclude DE in some states, but for the past two years or so it has in PA!
Old 10-22-2008, 09:02 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Good article. It's the reason I track a Miata instead of a Porsche. Don't take it on the track if you can't afford to toss it in the garbage.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:44 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When I first did DE back in 1999 I heard that street insurance would cover it. Even so I was worried about two things. 1) Totaling my 9 year 944 Turbo S and giving my pocket change, 2) even if they covered my rates would go up and I would be paying them back for years.

So I drove like I had no insurance. Later I just got a $1200 944 and just ran that. This car was "written off" they day I got it so these 8 years with it have been all bonus time anyway. Not needing to worry about the car make track time so much more enjoyable. Still a track only car is not for everyone. I do think single event coverage is perfect for the guy who does maybe 3-4 track days a year. Gives them some piece of mind.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:14 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 769 Posts

I just bought a policy at http://www.prosure.net/insurance.html Same terms as in the article.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I just bought a policy at http://www.prosure.net/insurance.html Same terms as in the article.
Just spoke with Chris at www.ProSure.net and their policy seems like the real deal and is priced well too. Should be covered in a few days...
Old 10-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

One question that needs to be asked when purchasing track policies is whether or not the insurance carrier is using a modified street policy. In some of the earlier track insurance policies, any incident where they pay out money is considered an accident on your regular street policy since they share the same insurance information pool. I don't know whether some of the newer policy writers are different, but you should ask. I'd hate to have my normal car policy increased for 5 years because I totalled a track only car on the track and was paid using a track only insurance policy.

Quick Reply: NY Times Article on Car Insurance at the Track