Sponsored by:

karting at Moroso

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 06:36 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default karting at Moroso

Had a great afternoon with my girls at local go-cart track (not the real deal just goofing off). My question relates to arrive and drive at Moroso. I checked out the website but did not find much info likely due to renovation.

I thought it would be fun for them to try real carts in a very low classification. Any input or perspective would be appreciated. The girls are 10 and 13 and daddy is a strong advocate of the II-Amendment
Old 10-19-2008, 07:48 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

....and all this time I thought you were bring your daughters up to be grid girls! :-) who'da thunk you were teaching 'em to be drivers! Way to go, Daddy!
Old 10-19-2008, 09:08 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrokeAss
....and all this time I thought you were bring your daughters up to be grid girls! :-) who'da thunk you were teaching 'em to be drivers! Way to go, Daddy!

Hey ! what's wrong with being both!!!!
Old 10-19-2008, 10:57 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DanS911
Hey ! what's wrong with being both!!!!

Says the man that doesn't have girls under 16 anymore....
Old 10-19-2008, 11:48 PM
DanS911
Pro

Hey I resemble that remark.
subject change:

We fired up the Blue car on Friday, you probably saw the smoke plume where you live.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:04 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

We fired up the Blue car on Friday, you probably saw the smoke plume where you live.
And.....
Old 10-20-2008, 09:00 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Hey I resemble that remark.
subject change:

Oh So, that's what that was....

I heard you got a 5 speed gearbox... that ought to save a few seconds right there!

-Christian, I was casually looking at the arrive and drive karts last year.... they looked pretty good for starting out.

Honda 4 stroke motors (8hp?), but more importantly they had a bar running
around the chassi & wheels, so no wheel to wheel contact. (or the ensuing space launches),
-but I don't remember if they had a hoop for the body/head. I also forget the price, but it seemed very reasonable... maybe like $25/half hr...
also think they also offered some classroom... & track side coaching.

There were also some vendors renting 2 stoke 100cc carts(tony), and shifters too...

OT: has anyone investigated the PDC membership program at the new Palm Beach International Raceway (PBIR), (old Moroso). not too much in the way of details on their website..

(planned) clubhouse looks really nice:
http://www.palmbeachdrivingclub.com/driversPavilion.php

track: http://www.palmbeachdrivingclub.com/map.php
Old 10-20-2008, 09:19 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

MB-Thanks

Dan-congrats
Old 10-20-2008, 09:25 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

In February, the 2009 Florida Winter Tour www.floridawintertour.com will be holding Round 2 at Moroso (2 weekends, 1st is Rotax class weekend, second is FIA/CIK class weekened).
(My son and I will be there again this year, hopefully not ending up with another ambulance ride)
January will be at Homestead and March will be at Ocala.

It's a nice opportunity to come out and see some of the best racers from N and S America competing in all the different age categories/classes. It is also a warm up series for the IRL Stars of Karting series.

There is a kart shop on property that does rentals (ages 10 and 13 could be in 2 stroke 80cc Cadet, Rotax MiniMax or Jr Rotax). The shop was at the end of the straights by the 180, I forget the name, but it's where the fuel was stored last year at the FWT and where practice registration was held.

Living in FL (or CA) puts you in the best place in the country for karting. Tons of great shops, tracks and drivers.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:15 AM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Christian - here is my thoughts on this......as soon as Tommy is old enough to be in a kart, I will put him in one. First, I want to see if he likes it and has fun. Second, I am not looking for him to be a race car driver but if that is what he wants, I will support him. My real motivation is to get him ready for real car driving (on the streets) when the time comes.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:32 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

ltc: Thanks for the info, I will check it out

R: I concur, while they are very girly, girly they enjoy time at the track with daddy. So I thougt it would be fun. Sebring also has carts at the school and I will check into that.

Cheers
Old 10-20-2008, 10:33 AM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BluemaxxRacing
My real motivation is to get him ready for real car driving (on the streets) when the time comes.
....and getting Tommy to drive circles around Brian's boy Kiernan's got nothing to do with it at all, eh?
You know damn well those two kids are gonna be trying to run each other off the road in their karts in just a few years.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:45 AM
dblapex
Instructor

Originally Posted by BrokeAss
....and getting Tommy to drive circles around Brian's boy Kiernan's got nothing to do with it at all, eh?
You know damn well those two kids are gonna be trying to run each other off the road in their karts in just a few years.
Rich and I have been joking about this for years, but as I have gotten more involved motorsports than I thought I would in the past year I have sort of changed my idea on him karting.

I will not introduce him to karting or motorsports. If he shows an interest in it by way of just being around it, I will support him, but I will not give him a "free sample" of track crack. Before any of you start blaming Kelli, I have not told her yet, she still thinks he is getting a Kart next year. So keep your mouth shut incase I change my mind!
Old 10-20-2008, 12:35 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Why the changes in opinion, Bri?
Old 10-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Erik
Burning Brakes

I brought my kart home for the twins to sit in. It was stored at Moroso for years. Christian, there are always vendors that bring karts, especially if you reserve them in advance. Like LTC stated, 80cc is going to plenty. Not sure who's going to be the kart shop when the track re opens, of course they will have the 8-12 hp ones, but those are kind've like the indoor karts. Give a call to Advanced Karting 866 403 3153, their shop is next to Orbit and they are usually there on open track nights during the week and weekends. And they have plenty of champions in lots of classes.

Quick Reply: karting at Moroso