Sponsored by:

Avoid Saferacer.com

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 12:01 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Avoid Saferacer.com

Just a little PSA, these guys have terrible customer service. The chose to screw me on a pr of driving shoes, sent the wrong ones, I returned them, no refund or credit, multiple calls/emails, etc. Nice.
There are so many good vendors out there, don't try and save a few pennies with this outfit.
c
Old 10-17-2008, 12:20 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow... I've ordered several items from them and have had no issue's but it's been at least a year since using their service.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Craig T.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

??? I use them all the time. I've never had a problem, but I've never had to return anything. Maybe that's where the problem lies.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:38 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 433 Posts

I'm with Craig... I've used them for all kinds of things over the past years and they've been great; and the prices have always been excellent versus local shops.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:39 PM
95m3racer
Pro

Damn, that sucks. They usually do have pretty good customer service.

You should head over to Driving Impressions in NJ, do all your business in person, much easier to deal with, and its not that far of a drive for the convenience of doing business in person.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:58 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

I had a bit of a mixed bag with them a little while back... ordered two separate orders for different credit cards - rollbar padding on one, HANS on the other - one for play, one for work on the corporate card.

I was afraid they might mix up the billing - and sure enough, it did happen - my personal stuff also got charged to the corp. card.

OK, so I called them up... took quite some time and effort to finally get through to someone on cust. service, as they were (hopefully still aren't - this was back in May or so) apparently rather understaffed.

Despite being as threatening as I could (not an easy job for me), I was utterly unable to convince them to get the right charge over to the right card... I asked, whaddo I have to do, deny the charges and make the card company go after them? Manager said yeah, go ahead, you do what you gotta do. I was naturally very pissed off, told them so, told them I'd be sure to tell everyone I know including work, and all the racers I work with (now representing a very large volume of business for them) never to use saferacer again... but never got any good answer from them.

Except maybe a month or two later, when credit card statements came in... and they had fixed the charges!

SO... after all that, they did indeed do what I wanted/needed... but they made sure to **** me off thoroughly first!

So now I try to make sure to support my local guys whenever possible... not only better customer service (which I am willing to pay a modest premium for), but hey, these are the guys who come to the track day in and day out to support our racing... and around here, it's a one-guy proposition... long story short, even without the crappy economy, they need our support, and it's in our best interests to keep them in business!
Old 10-17-2008, 01:13 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, support the locals, always a good idea.
Funny thing is, I've bought a ton of stuff from them over the years, never an issue before. Talking to them, the impression I got was that they could care less what you've bought in the past.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:29 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

They are actually one of my favorite sources. Prices are good, and I've never ever had an issue.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:54 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

They treated me good for a few years and then I had one bad incident that will keep from going back there again. Much like your incident Chris.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:56 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I have used them over the years and have had no problem. When I have called customer service they were very responsive. Sorry about your bad luck with them.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:59 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

I've never had a problem either
Old 10-17-2008, 08:11 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problems here either.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:33 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Damn, no problems here either.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:57 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

FYI, they don't always ship from stock; they sometimes drop ship from their supplier. Wouldn't be surprised if that's how they handle clearance items, in fact.

So their issues could be related to how hard it is for them to be made whole themselves (in those kinds of cases where they are just a pass-through channel). I'm not making excuses for them because they own the whole transaction, but their unresponsiveness may not be as simple as just having a poor attitude. I've used them many times w/o problems.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:30 AM
95m3racer
Pro

Unfortunately, i'd say 99% of the retailers you find on google...don't stock anything. They all drop ship and are standard jobber customers from the suppliers. There are really only about 10-12 "warehouse" based safety equipment suppliers, and in the entire northeast its only about 3 main places. Saferacer happens to be a big player in the industry though, large inventory, lots of advertising/marketing.

Some places import items and are a distributor (I.e. HMS for Schroth), and some have a mix of other suppliers and their own brand (i.e. Driving Impressions for TeamDI). There are only a few brand suppliers in the US that actually make their own products under their own name.

Quick Reply: Avoid Saferacer.com