Sponsored by:

Go Pro Hero Video Camera

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:07 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Go Pro Hero Video Camera

Anybody have one of these things? Autoweek ran a blurb on it and I'm checking their web site (www.goprocamera.com) and it looks pretty cool, for a lousy $180 you can stick it anywhere....
Old 09-25-2008, 11:11 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll hear from people who have them and like them, but the video quality [frame size, resolution, and frame rate] is very low compared to other $200 cameras out there. Compare the video quality of the Hero to http://www.vimeo.com/1561901 from a $200 Aiptek.
It does have the advantage of a weatherproof case, so you can throw it anywhere on the car.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've sold a number of them. The only issues I have had with them is that some formula cars are having issues with the vibrations causing the camera to stop recording. I've seen them run on any number of regular style cars and circle track vehicles with no issues.

As Tony said, the advantage of the camera is being able to stick it just about anywhere.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have one. I've used it for skiing, scuba diving, and track video.

It works very well and the watertight case is awesome. Video is certainly not at Mini DV quality, but it works well for the uses I listed.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:14 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

GoPro is coming out with a new Wide angle Hero camera in the next month or two.

The current Motorsports Hero has 3 mega pixel, 54 degree lens for video at 512 x 384.
The new Motorsports Hero will be 5 mega pixel, 54 degree lens for video at 512 x 384
The new Motorsports Hero WIDE will be 5 mega pixel, 170 degree lens for video at 512 x 384.

The new wide angle camera will retail for less but will not include all the mounts. You would have to use existing mounts from the regular Hero camera or purchase a grab bag that has miscellaneous mounts in it.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 09-25-2008, 02:21 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Here is video from our last race with the Gopro camera.

www.electricsupercharger.com has a few in stock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4wFVDm3uxM

Make sure you click on the "watch in high quality" button

Mk
Old 09-25-2008, 03:09 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked but didn't buy because it wasn't rechargeable and the format only supported cards up to 2GB (that may have changed since) which isn't a lot of recording time.

I know this isn't an Aiptek vs. Go Pro thread but for those shopping, I bought the Aiptek because I didn't plan to ever need to relocate it from the roll bar (using I/O Port mount), I wanted to record an entire 90 min enduro on one card (the SDHC card format supports up to 32GB), the battery is rechargeable, and it was only $130 at target.

Trending Topics

Old 09-25-2008, 03:46 PM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Frank, I have a couple of cameras (purchased from Circuit Motorsports) and they are fine and reliable. The mounts (including helmet mount) provide alot of flexibility, including bumper mounts, rear facing, foot wheel etc. Go here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roe22L2pHq4 for a sample from Rennsport Reunion. If you want to borrow one to try out, let me know.

Charlie
Old 09-25-2008, 03:52 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp
I looked but didn't buy because it wasn't rechargeable and the format only supported cards up to 2GB (that may have changed since) which isn't a lot of recording time.

I know this isn't an Aiptek vs. Go Pro thread but for those shopping, I bought the Aiptek because I didn't plan to ever need to relocate it from the roll bar (using I/O Port mount), I wanted to record an entire 90 min enduro on one card (the SDHC card format supports up to 32GB), the battery is rechargeable, and it was only $130 at target.
gums, I would go for the Aiptek, even the Sub $150 720P model is HD and i'm sure you would have no problem following the "hotwire" instructions given in a camera post here. If you have no mount, I may have a 3-suction cup mount that I bought for my Chase Cam and never used if I can find it...
Old 09-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one Go Pro Hero camera and find the picture quality to be fine. I mount it upside down right under the rear view mirror and it gives a good view of the action outside but captures nothing inside the car. I have not tried alternate positions but with all the mounts you get you could put it just about anywhere, including outside of the car. I think it would be great for an open wheel car.

The major drawback is that the 2gb card only gives about 30 to 35 minutes of recording time. This means that you must start it right before you head out for the pace lap in order to catch the entire sprint race. Recording an enduro is out of the question. Starting the camera while all strapped in to maximize recording time can also be a challenge. The camera also consumes batteries at an alarming rate and doesn't work so well with rechargeables. I have had the camera shut off several times with rechargeables but no problem with Energizers. A cool little camera but there appear to be better options for PCA production car racing.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Giacomo
The major drawback is that the 2gb card only gives about 30 to 35 minutes of recording time. This means that you must start it right before you head out for the pace lap in order to catch the entire sprint race. Recording an enduro is out of the question.
Another reason to go Aiptek. I use a 16GB card and I can do 2 Sprint Races, a 90 minute Enduro, and a Catholic Wedding with a 3 hour reception!
Old 09-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The GoPro gets 56 minutes of recording time on a 2GB card.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:48 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
The GoPro gets 56 minutes of recording time on a 2GB card.
Not in my experience, I have never gotten more than 38 minutes on new batteries and an empty 2 GB card. Somewhere between 33 and 38 minutes it always shuts off.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:25 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

the card should get 55min of recording time. You may have experienced battery failure at 35min into your recording

mk

I have one Go Pro Hero camera and find the picture quality to be fine. I mount it upside down right under the rear view mirror and it gives a good view of the action outside but captures nothing inside the car. I have not tried alternate positions but with all the mounts you get you could put it just about anywhere, including outside of the car. I think it would be great for an open wheel car.

The major drawback is that the 2gb card only gives about 30 to 35 minutes of recording time. This means that you must start it right before you head out for the pace lap in order to catch the entire sprint race. Recording an enduro is out of the question. Starting the camera while all strapped in to maximize recording time can also be a challenge. The camera also consumes batteries at an alarming rate and doesn't work so well with rechargeables. I have had the camera shut off several times with rechargeables but no problem with Energizers. A cool little camera but there appear to be better options for PCA production car racing.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:26 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

You need to get better batteries

There is no reason to get any less than 55 min of recording time.

edit: I just checked one of my videos. 58 min recorded. 30 min race and 28min of the camera on and recording when i forgot to turn it off.

try rechargeable lithium, or lithium AAA batteries. alkaline last about 20-30min depend on the brand.
mk

Not in my experience, I have never gotten more than 38 minutes on new batteries and an empty 2 GB card. Somewhere between 33 and 38 minutes it always shuts off.

Last edited by mark kibort; 09-25-2008 at 10:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Go Pro Hero Video Camera