Go Pro Hero Video Camera

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
You need to get better batteries

There is no reason to get any less than 55 min of recording time.

try rechargeable lithium, or lithium AAA batteries. alkaline last about 20-30min depend on the brand.
mk
Or get an Aiptek and never worry about the battery, get HD video, and have a better camera for less money? I don't get why anyone would want the Go camera, maybe i'm missing something?
Old 09-25-2008, 11:24 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is very cute!
Old 09-25-2008, 11:28 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Giacomo
Not in my experience, I have never gotten more than 38 minutes on new batteries and an empty 2 GB card. Somewhere between 33 and 38 minutes it always shuts off.
What are the file sizes of the videos you are getting?
Old 09-26-2008, 12:14 AM
Giacomo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The largest file I was able to record was 1.3 GB and 38:22 minutes in length on new Energizer alkaline batteries. I also tried rechargeable NI-MH 1000mAh (as suggested by GoPro) but it was much colder at the Mid-Ohio race and they lasted even less. If I could get the card full I should be in the 57 minute range. I guess I will have to search out these lithium batteries, although when I searched rechargeables there did not appear to be such a creature available in 900 or 1000 mAh. It still looks like one card per run session.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:20 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

The largest file I was able to record was 1.3 GB and 38:22 minutes in length on new Energizer alkaline batteries. I also tried rechargeable NI-MH 1000mAh (as suggested by GoPro) but it was much colder at the Mid-Ohio race and they lasted even less. If I could get the card full I should be in the 57 minute range. I guess I will have to search out these lithium batteries, although when I searched rechargeables there did not appear to be such a creature available in 900 or 1000 mAh. It still looks like one card per run session.
Sell it and go with the Aiptek...

Last edited by Gary R.; 09-26-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:29 AM
Giacomo
Pro

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Sell it and go with the Aiptek. Sorry you bought the battery powered POS but move on...
Gary, wanna sell me your Aiptek? With frankencharger and remote of course.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:26 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Gary, wanna sell me your Aiptek? With frankencharger and remote of course.
No, but if you don't feel capable of putting it together I would be more than happy to do it for you. You can have it shipped to me, i'll build it, ship it to you ready to go..

Here is a 1080P for $167.xx (inc. shipping) WITH an 8GB card. I can't remember which charger comes with it, I believe the home charger. I bought the cig. lighter and remote from Aiptek directly, think it was another $20-25.. You can get the 720P for about $100 on Amazon right now, plenty good for our use.

Last edited by Gary R.; 10-20-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:45 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
You need to get better batteries

There is no reason to get any less than 55 min of recording time.

edit: I just checked one of my videos. 58 min recorded. 30 min race and 28min of the camera on and recording when i forgot to turn it off.
+1

I have always been able to get 55 mins or more out of my Hero with a 2 MB card and Lithium batteries.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:34 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Originally Posted by Gary R.
No, but if you don't feel capable of putting it together I would be more than happy to do it for you. You can have it shipped to me, i'll build it, ship it to you ready to go..

Here is a 1080P for $167.xx (inc. shipping) WITH an 8GB card. I can't remember which charger comes with it, I believe the cig. lighter. I bought the home charger and remote from Aiptek directly, think it was another $20-25..
Well that's an offer that just can't be passed up. Also considering that I'm in Peru and most of these items are ship in US only I will have to take you up on it. I will PM you for your shipping particulars.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:13 AM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

What do you all think of the new Go Pro HD vs. Aiptek? It looks like the HD will have a lithium rechargeable battery, and handle up to a 32 GB memory card. The sample video on their site looks good.

Can anybody point me to a track video filmed w/ the aiptek?
Old 10-19-2009, 09:47 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
I've sold a number of them. The only issues I have had with them is that some formula cars are having issues with the vibrations causing the camera to stop recording. I've seen them run on any number of regular style cars and circle track vehicles with no issues.

As Tony said, the advantage of the camera is being able to stick it just about anywhere.
I have this problem with mine. My 993 with all solid mounts shakes too much and it never records a lap. Works fine in the RV and on my jeep at home. Very frustrating.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by David Edwards
What do you all think of the new Go Pro HD vs. Aiptek? It looks like the HD will have a lithium rechargeable battery, and handle up to a 32 GB memory card. The sample video on their site looks good.

Can anybody point me to a track video filmed w/ the aiptek?
Not sure I would give them another chance... never got their product to work well. I gave up with mine...

FWIW.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:03 PM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

The sample video they had online was in what looked to be a pro BMW, and the picture was really good. That being said, I played w/ a regular one at Daytona, and it seemed pretty cheaply made. And, I tried to call them today to ask a few q's, and it's tough to reach a live person. Their # BTW, is 415-738-2480. It' not on their site. I think you can return w/in 30 days, so I'm tempted to try given the demo video they posted?

It seems like the chase cam costs $1200-2000 all done. Great picture, but I don't want to spend that. Seems most people are happy w/ the chase cam, but I haven't found any non-youtube video yet to sample. I like that it turns on by itself, and a rear camera can be added later. The smarty cam is interesting too, when it comes out, but both of these options are $1000+. What are you going to try next, Gasser? What made you try the hero over the aiptek?
Old 10-20-2009, 12:40 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by David Edwards
I think you can return w/in 30 days, so I'm tempted to try given the demo video they posted?
http://www.goprocamera.com/warranty
"(For several reasons we cannot accept returns of opened products. Opened returns will not be processed and will be returned to customer.)"

I purchased a GP Hero Wide recently, and while the video is good, the mount is good, the audio [which is part of the experience] is so low its non-existent, or the mic is overpowered and sounds like crap. I am contemplating running it pointing forward and using my Canon Elura 70 in the backseat for sound and synching them afterwards.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:12 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

my experience is all pure frustration. If it failed to work _all_ the time, I could just toss it with a clear conscience.
When it works, picture quality and sound is terrific. Usually, though, it records for ~5 min then shuts off. I've used every combination of new lithiums vs high quality rechargeables, and observed all kinds of special protocols for re-formating the SD card after each use.
Finally after the last outing, the outside case cracked at the adjustment pivot so now I feel better about tossing it.
here is some video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4KDQGfWt6U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-aD2C7RJuU

Quick Reply: Go Pro Hero Video Camera