Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you participate in a multi-hour enduro?
Yes - driver changes add to the challenge and excitement
77.59%
No - too many unknowns if the car breaks down while the co-driver is running
22.41%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Who would do a LONG enduro?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 11:07 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
I hope to do the 6 hour Koni challenge at VIR in early October, I am still looking for another co-driver (2 hours each). We will run a winning car, the orange BGB 911 that won at the Glen. Anyone interested please email asap.
Cost? (PM if necessary)
Old 09-22-2008, 11:43 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmiLew
IA long enduro sure sounds like fun. How about a nice 2 hour stint behind the wheel to test your mental focus and physical fitness.? Count me in!

JL
Not too many cars have a fuel range of two hours under race conditions. Generally you run the tank down and that range determines how often you pit. SCCA and the like usually puts a 1:30 minimun time for a stop, they don't want you rushing the fuel. Still, it is a big advantage to practice pit stops and get the thing refueled and drivers changed right on that 1:30 every time. It's not easy, as no one can touch the car while it's fueling. PCA and HSR stops are a lot easier at 5:00.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:24 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Cost? (PM if necessary)
Koni challenge at VIR is a good deal as three people can split the car. I was hoping you or Colin might be interested, email for more info please.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:41 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We also have a spec miata (winning team) running in the VIR 13 hour Oct 31- Nov 2... $2500 per seat and you'd share with another PCA guy.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:47 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Lots of spec miatas show up for that. You really need to be on your toes and run a perfect 13 hours.
Killer headlights are essential. It's a great event.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:03 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Yep, we won it 2 years ago and can't wait to be back.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:13 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Which car? A few years ago, we were third (Zolari Racing).
Not true, that before that, "I was seventh!"
Old 09-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Can you explain how they work? I assume that you run them as an individual in your own car?

Charlie,

I have a co-driver and we use my car. My co-driver is someone I trust dearly and we do not exchange any $ for this. In the past I have co-driven on other cars as we split the bill. The points go to the car owner.

You have one 5 minute pit stop for every hour of the race (you don't have to stop once per hour but must stop 3 times for a minimum of 5 minutes and the last stop must be completed with a minimum of 15 minutes left on the clock).

No fueling with the driver on the car, during fueling you must have a dedicated fire person and everyone over the wall (during fueling) must be on full nomex with head/face protection.

Those are the basics. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Cheers, Juan
Old 09-22-2008, 05:57 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by MJR911
We also have a spec miata (winning team) running in the VIR 13 hour Oct 31- Nov 2... $2500 per seat and you'd share with another PCA guy.
I'll be there with MER in mx5 cup cars...should be fun!
Old 09-22-2008, 06:03 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Hey Frank,
Two years ago we won SSM and were the 'Team York' guys. I remember the car you drove distinctly for LARGE front headlights. Come out again this year?!? We stepped up a bit and are running a new '99 in SM with Mitchum Motorsports... true class act group and reduces my anxiety levels a lot. We have a team SSM car running as well that we're LOOKING FOR DRIVERS!

CJ, the MER guys are FAST! They've had some bad luck with the new mx-5 chassis in those long races, but sure have the SM cars covered. Saini was there last year with an all out converted IT version and was close to the overall lead for awhile. Who are your co-drivers? Would love to put a face with a name, are you running the Thurs test?

Cheers.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:09 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

New puppy?
Old 09-22-2008, 06:53 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Hey Frank,
I remember the car you drove distinctly for LARGE front headlights. Come out again this year?!?
Yeah, we put those killer lights on after we learned the first year how important (and dark) the night is out there....They worked so well that bigger cars would move over for us when those lights came up on them, then they'd come back when they realized it was only a Miata!
Then I put those lights on my Porsche to run a night enduro at Sebring with HSR last year. They were great out in the back section and I had that race in the bag until a half shaft pulled out with 2 to go.
We still have that enduro Miata, but my buddy is selling it and I can't convince him to do one more, logistically it was hard on him as he did all the arrangements and details. I'd love to find a seat, we were getting really good at it....
Old 09-22-2008, 07:36 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by MJR911
Hey Frank,
Two years ago we won SSM and were the 'Team York' guys. I remember the car you drove distinctly for LARGE front headlights. Come out again this year?!? We stepped up a bit and are running a new '99 in SM with Mitchum Motorsports... true class act group and reduces my anxiety levels a lot. We have a team SSM car running as well that we're LOOKING FOR DRIVERS!

CJ, the MER guys are FAST! They've had some bad luck with the new mx-5 chassis in those long races, but sure have the SM cars covered. Saini was there last year with an all out converted IT version and was close to the overall lead for awhile. Who are your co-drivers? Would love to put a face with a name, are you running the Thurs test?

Cheers.

I'm sure I'll be there like a bright eyed puppy ASAP. having Jason, Eric, Ryan, etc give me pointers and letting me check out their data has been really huge in my improvement in that car. I'm running my car in the road atlanta races the following weekend and doing thunderhill in december. The MX5 is such a great platform to learn 10/10ths with, as well as racecraft- which I really look forward to.

not sure who's co-driving yet, my first choice is doing SRF in that race going for a podium finish, so it will be whoever MER sets me up with.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

The Porsche Owners Club runs a 4 hour day into night enduro every year called the Tribute to Lemans. This year the "Red Group" cars (Cup cars, GT's, etc) ran a straight up race while the slower "Orange Group" cars had handicapped pit times per class based on historical laptimes. This made for some exciting racing throughout the event. There was a large flatscreen monitor on pitlane showing everyone's positions and laptimes, and a big clock counting down the time at start finish.

It was my first year participating and I had a blast. Racing in the dark, pit stops, driver changes, etc added a new dimesion you don't have in sprint racing.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:31 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DogInBlack
New puppy?
New Puppy! She arrives next Monday. Female Black Lab field dog. My kid is doing backfilps. Cant wait!

Based on your user name, I assume you like black dogs? Whatcya got?

Quick Reply: Who would do a LONG enduro?