Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you participate in a multi-hour enduro?
Yes - driver changes add to the challenge and excitement
77.59%
No - too many unknowns if the car breaks down while the co-driver is running
22.41%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Who would do a LONG enduro?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Charlie,

I have a co-driver and we use my car. My co-driver is someone I trust dearly and we do not exchange any $ for this. In the past I have co-driven on other cars as we split the bill. The points go to the car owner.

You have one 5 minute pit stop for every hour of the race (you don't have to stop once per hour but must stop 3 times for a minimum of 5 minutes and the last stop must be completed with a minimum of 15 minutes left on the clock).

No fueling with the driver on the car, during fueling you must have a dedicated fire person and everyone over the wall (during fueling) must be on full nomex with head/face protection.

Those are the basics. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Cheers, Juan
I realize your co-driver is someone you trust but what happens if he totals your car? Same as if he totaled his own car?
Old 09-22-2008, 09:46 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
I realize your co-driver is someone you trust but what happens if he totals your car? Same as if he totaled his own car?
Simple; you have a short discussion beforehand. There are two choices. Either you agree to fix any crash damage that occurs when you are driving, no matter whose fault it is, or you both (or all) agree to split all crash damage that occurs no matter who was driving and whose fault it is.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Written agreement between the parties usually suffices.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

It will test your friendship. Been there suffered that. I think if its totalled is much simpler than if its partial damage and then whoever has to foot the bill will likely have to pay to fix some "while you are in there" items.

My 2 co-drivers are good friends, great guys, fast drivers and excellent mechanics
Old 09-23-2008, 08:02 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

that's why the rental idea would work. you each split the rental cost but whoever is driving owns the liability at that time.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:29 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have run a bunch short enduro's. These ranged from 60 minutes to 2 hours. The longest run with out a stop was a 90 minute enduro that I ran twice non-stop. There was also a 2 hour enduro I ran with a stop for fuel. I might have been able to make 2 hrs without a fuel stop, but it was required so I had to stop.

I have never done a longer enduro or been involved in a driver change. Sharing the car is an issue, but the other is that a "short" enduro is really just a long sprint race. You can back off and run a pace, but you neet minimal "enduro" prep. You don't really need to put alot of effort into pit stops other than just doing it with no penalties. Once you start making 2 pit stops and making driver changes the focus changes from racing on track to doing well in the pits. Not a bad thing, but you start to bring in true enduro methodology.

We in Arizona have plan for a 4 hour race at PIR over Thanksgiving. I am still on the fence for doing it. If it were 2 hrs I would give it a go and probably even 2.5, but approaching 3 to 4 I start to wonder if that is really wise. I am not sure I want to put the extra effort into planning it all out.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:45 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was amazed that my car ran for two hours at Pocono recently, without refueling. We made the mandatory stop, but didn't fuel it, and it lasted! The spec Miata we normally run, starts chugging at about 1.5 hours, of course; track and condition dependant.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:47 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Frank, if you want to run VIR again this year... PM me.

Quick Reply: Who would do a LONG enduro?