Quandry - Just drove a Formula Renault

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 11:53 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

I really think that I'm with PRG in the formula mazda camp- after talking to the local shop guy saying he's got some of them with 10 year old motors in the car...

if anyone wants a good experience in a brand new carbon tubbed Forumula car- check out the jim russell usa school @ sears point...did that 2 weeks ago and had to drive my MX5 a few days later...which was suddenly a ginormous underpowered barge.

open wheel is much more visceral and satisfying than sports cars. It's just too bad I'm too old to start the racing ladder in that direction....I really think the cars are easier to drive than street cars.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:27 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I really think that I'm with PRG in the formula mazda camp- after talking to the local shop guy saying he's got some of them with 10 year old motors in the car...

if anyone wants a good experience in a brand new carbon tubbed Forumula car- check out the jim russell usa school @ sears point...did that 2 weeks ago and had to drive my MX5 a few days later...which was suddenly a ginormous underpowered barge.

open wheel is much more visceral and satisfying than sports cars. It's just too bad I'm too old to start the racing ladder in that direction....I really think the cars are easier to drive than street cars.
If you're too old, what am I? And there are some pretty old guys who race/d formula cars. Name escapes me on the guy who won the runoffs 4-5-6 years ago in either FF or FA at age 70 (or older).
Old 10-02-2008, 11:58 PM
prg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

924racer, I really don't think a vintage formula V on crap tires really is a fair representation of what open wheel racing is about. The vintage formula V is to a modern open wheel car what an edsel is to a 997 cup car. I'd encourage you to try a continental, FE (aka FSCCA), or FM before you say it really isn't enough different from your closed wheeler to consider. I know the V guys have great competition with each other, but they are truly dog slow race cars.

Last edited by prg; 10-03-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:12 AM
prg
Pro

Originally Posted by datax
Great thread. I'm planning to try out my friend's FC (Pinto motor. Not Zetec) end of this month at SCCA Competition School weekend. Do you guys think it's a good start for open wheeler cars? Or, shall I start from FF? Which is the next best step after 100-125cc kartings? Been doing DEs for almost 5 years now and wants to see what's out there. Looking for reliability, safety and performance / $$$ factors. Thanks.
My $0.02 is that a FC is a great car to start. I don't think your operating cost will be a whole lot greater than in a FF. The perfomance difference makes the speed/$$ ratio better for the FC IMHO. Standard FM's are $17-20K for a good car. Performance is in the same ballpark as a FC or FE. FM has a more durable motor than an FC but your gearbox will need more freshening. The big + of FM over FC, FE, or FF is durability. The FM suspension members are stout pieces of steel that will tolerate your mistakes better than the light, spindly, aerodynamic bits of beer can that comprise the suspension of more modern formula cars. The - of FM are that the cars are probably the least attractive of the open wheelers. They also demand a different driving style than other formula cars. A FM is fastest when driven at big slip angles. It's a lot of fun sliding a FM around but its a driving style that really doesn't apply to other more modern cars.

The most important criteria for selecting a class isn't any of the above. Find out which class has the best numbers of competitors in your region. The thing that makes racing fun is having someone to compete with.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:30 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by prg
My $0.02 is that a FC is a great car to start. I don't think your operating cost will be a whole lot greater than in a FF. The perfomance difference makes the speed/$$ ratio better for the FC IMHO. Standard FM's are $17-20K for a good car. Performance is in the same ballpark as a FC or FE. FM has a more durable motor than an FC but your gearbox will need more freshening. The big + of FM over FC, FE, or FF is durability. The FM suspension members are stout pieces of steel that will tolerate your mistakes better than the light, spindly, aerodynamic bits of beer can that comprise the suspension of more modern formula cars. The - of FM are that the cars are probably the least attractive of the open wheelers. They also demand a different driving style than other formula cars. A FM is fastest when driven at big slip angles. It's a lot of fun sliding a FM around but its a driving style that really doesn't apply to other more modern cars.

The most important criteria for selecting a class isn't any of the above. Find out which class has the best numbers of competitors in your region. The thing that makes racing fun is having someone to compete with.
Thanks for the input. You're right about how racing is more fun when there are people to race with. I believe FC class has the biggest numbers of competitors in my region.

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Went to see pro star Mazda series last month at NJMP and saw drivers that are 15 to 25 years olds so I can see where you coming from. I'm 24 so definitely in the older age group but not trying to start a professional career out of it. Hopefully I can still have fun!
Old 10-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by datax
Great thread. I'm planning to try out my friend's FC (Pinto motor. Not Zetec) end of this month at SCCA Competition School weekend. Do you guys think it's a good start for open wheeler cars? Or, shall I start from FF? Which is the next best step after 100-125cc kartings? Been doing DEs for almost 5 years now and wants to see what's out there. Looking for reliability, safety and performance / $$$ factors. Thanks.

Who's car? Which model/chassis?

The only real difference in cost between FF adn FC are Wings and Diffusers. They aren't cheap but everything else is pretty much the same. All chassis, body, car part are identical for the same year/mfr chassis. Engine rebuilds are about the same (excluding the Zetec).

How much 'wizzy' bit stuff do you like? In FM you are tightly bound by the rules for the chassis and car. In FC you can do more to the cars with varying aero bits and modifications as long as its within the formula.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:20 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of the issues mentioned in this thread led me to the Caterham. It handles much the same as my FF, but it has two seats, headlights, tailights and fenders. These components are the reason Caterhams are allowed in DE events. It makes the car much easier to see which the issue with running a formula car at these events.

The engine is a 2L Zetec with EFI, individual throttle bodies, ported head, etc putting out about 180 hp. The car weighs 1350 lbs wet with me in it and it has been super reliable and easy to maintain. I wish it had a full cage, but other than that, it is the perfect street legal track car
Old 10-03-2008, 10:32 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...yeah but Caterhams are hideous... I'm just jokin I had to find something wrong with 'em!

I'd also like to tip my hat to the FB/F1000 crowd -- if I had the dough to think about formula cars, that's where I'd go. They're cheap (all relative, mind), sound amazing, come with a built-in sequential, and, in addition to its sister class, DSR, are really gaining performance w.r.t. FA's. Especially in DSR, the technological advancements have been racing ahead (no pun intended) much faster than the SCCA can implement rules -- meaning that despite the fact that CSRs are supposed to be the fastest out there, DSRs are catching up -- and many are already faster.

Quick Reply: Quandry - Just drove a Formula Renault