Sponsored by:

Quandry - Just drove a Formula Renault

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 10:00 PM
prg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Want the best of both worlds get a Formula SCCA car.

Much more reliable engine than any other open wheel car
I think I might argue with this. The guys I know who've bought FSSCA car have had lots of problems with broken gearboxes and half-shafts.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Ron Cohn Can I come play with the cars in your signature. <drooling>
Old 09-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by prg
I think I might argue with this. The guys I know who've bought FSSCA car have had lots of problems with broken gearboxes and half-shafts.
You could argue with it but the gearboxees aren't engines and neither are the halfshafts.

However those parts are in the process of being updated with the help of Taylor Engineering.

I was talking to someone last week who paddocks with someone who replaced his engine at 65 races and his car is on it's second engine after 4 heavy years of use.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:03 PM
prg
Pro

Want the best of both worlds get a Formula SCCA car.

Much more reliable engine than any other open wheel car
I think I might argue with this. The guys I know who've bought FSSCA car have had lots of problems with broken gearboxes and half-shafts. Hard to beat a mazda rotary in this application. Light, reliable, and cheap. Lousy fuel economy, but it runs well on 91 octane pump gas not 110 octane race gas.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:09 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by prg
I think I might argue with this. The guys I know who've bought FSSCA car have had lots of problems with broken gearboxes and half-shafts. Hard to beat a mazda rotary in this application. Light, reliable, and cheap. Lousy fuel economy, but it runs well on 91 octane pump gas not 110 octane race gas.
FSCCA car runs on pump gas as well.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:14 PM
prg
Pro

You could argue with it but the gearboxees aren't engines and neither are the halfshafts.

However those parts are in the process of being updated with the help of Taylor Engineering.

I was talking to someone last week who paddocks with someone who replaced his engine at 65 races and his car is on it's second engine after 4 heavy years of use.
Obviously your point is correct. If you're parked because your gear box is fragged or your broken halfshaft has torn up your corner, you're still parked.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:02 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Much more reliable engine than any other open wheel car right now. I know of guys getting to 60+ weekends before going to a new engine.
Well, only if you are not counting a kent-motor FormulaFord. Hard to beat a 40 yr old 115HP iron block, pushrod engine for sheer durability.

For context: Fast Lap at the first SCCA race on Lightning at NJMP for FFs was ~1:08 which I suspect might have been close to overall winner at last weekends' PCA race...
Old 09-18-2008, 01:14 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by BrandonH
Well, only if you are not counting a kent-motor FormulaFord. Hard to beat a 40 yr old 115HP iron block, pushrod engine for sheer durability.

For context: Fast Lap at the first SCCA race on Lightning at NJMP for FFs was ~1:08 which I suspect might have been close to overall winner at last weekends' PCA race...
A heavily used kent motors should have it's head redone midseason and rebuilt every year to maintain that 115hp though. Of the 10 kent motored cars in the shop that I ran with last year 5 had a total rebuild (2 of which had a midseason head freshening) and 2 more had the head redone. The built kent motors get tired much more quickly than the bone stock 2.3 Mazda motor in the FSCCA.

I know of a number of guys who go to the runoffs with multiple motors/heads because they don't want to run the same motor for 500+ miles. The Kent motor doesn't even get in the top 3 of reliable open wheel motors.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 924 Likes on 563 Posts

Don't forget that FC cars routinely put down faster laps than SCCA cars and are about half as much. Running regionals, you can get 2 years out of the Pinto motors.

I have a friend who sold an SCCA car to buy a boat - thought it would be cheaper than 3 transmissions, a couple of half shafts, etc.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Don't forget that FC cars routinely put down faster laps than SCCA cars and are about half as much. Running regionals, you can get 2 years out of the Pinto motors.

I have a friend who sold an SCCA car to buy a boat - thought it would be cheaper than 3 transmissions, a couple of half shafts, etc.

Very true. My car cost me well less than half the cost of a FSCCA car. Admittedly I tore it down and built it back up with a new engine but still bang for the buck it can't be beat.

I bought an older car that was more stoutly built than the newer cars to 'cut my teeth' for the first couple years.

The next car will most likely be FSCCA although I know of a couple of FF cars that will be coming on the marekt about the time I'll be looking to buy that will be extremely well setup and a good price..
Old 09-18-2008, 10:58 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 924 Likes on 563 Posts

I wouldn't suggest an FSCCA car, but rather a newer Zetec. Much faster for the same or less money. Any real race car is high maintence. The Zetecs are very fast and you can run teh F2000 series, which is first class.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:13 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I wouldn't suggest an FSCCA car, but rather a newer Zetec. Much faster for the same or less money. Any real race car is high maintence. The Zetecs are very fast and you can run teh F2000 series, which is first class.
Ahem... another shameless plug for F1000. For the same money as a Zetec, you can get a virtually new Stohr F1000 which will run circles around a Zetec FC with added advantages of sounding WAY better and coming with a bone stock, ultra reliable 6spd sequential gearbox.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:53 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Forgot to update this thread... I took a Vee for a spin Friday at practice... this one a Vintage-era Vee... very interesting... fun, was surprised how easy it was to transition to (from my 924). Very narrow band of "happy" but apparently that was due to the two blown shocks and corded tires. LOL

Still, though it was interesting and fun (especially trying to share the track with an Atlantic!), it didn't sell me on Vees... just not enough different to bother with switching! I was expecting less grip, and OK, was on corded tires, but it wasn't there... and same power/weight ratio... I guess I just don't get THAT excited about seeing my front wheels while I'm driving... I care more about what the car itself is doing, if they're wagging, I've already screwed up!

Was rather amusing, afterwards, the open-wheel guys excited that I might be thinking of buying one and coming to play... LOL
Old 10-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Ron Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Circuit Motorsports: Unfortunately, the cars in my signature are all "past-tense" (years raced noted) except for the C2S. I have pretty much relegated myself to closed cars now and rent a car when I want to race.

The F1000's and Spec Mazda's do sound interesting, though.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:54 AM
datax
Burning Brakes

Great thread. I'm planning to try out my friend's FC (Pinto motor. Not Zetec) end of this month at SCCA Competition School weekend. Do you guys think it's a good start for open wheeler cars? Or, shall I start from FF? Which is the next best step after 100-125cc kartings? Been doing DEs for almost 5 years now and wants to see what's out there. Looking for reliability, safety and performance / $$$ factors. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Quandry - Just drove a Formula Renault