Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diasio 962R... Anybody Know Anything About These Cars ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 07:46 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by George3
The one I was in had the plexi window sheilds removed. I know it's tight and may be awkward to do a point by. Just have a turbo version and there will be no need to do that (ha-ha) !!!
Horsepower is no substitute for handling. If they are still using basically the same chassis with the rotary, or even the turbo, all you are going to get is about 1.5 g's of cornering. While that is impressive and at the fast end of DE cars, it does not hold a candle to the real wings-n-things cars (3.5 g's). They can likely be a fine DE car but you may not find yourself as the fastest thing out there.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:33 AM
95m3racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the ultimate track car right now is a C6z06. You can have more than enough power, great reliability, great handling, and the aftermarket is HUGE! Lots of true race parts to make the car silly fast.

Obviously the gt3 is another fantastic solution, but the vettes are a tad cheaper, and way more HP for those DE championships

Old 09-14-2008, 04:14 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

nice zo6! seriously though- how much $$$ do you need in suspension before a zo6 feels right on track? with all that power on a funky rear suspension- it's got to be a lot different than a M3 or GT3...

about the diasio- it looks pretty cool. not sure how much they cost, but for a "100% track" car, I'm going wings & things
Old 09-14-2008, 10:42 AM
George3
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi C.J.
962R's will be about $100K after you're done with setup.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:58 AM
gormanfly1
4th Gear

Yes, the Diazio is made by the same family that owns Putnam Park race track southeast of Indianapolis. They moved to Florida a couple of years ago and I met the son at Sebring last January. They operate out of Florida now but still own Putnam Park. I agree the Radical seems to be much more car for the money. The Diazios I saw on the track at Sebring were always spinning out in front of me. The radicals always passed me.:-) Obviously that's not a particularly fair comparison as the drivers make the difference.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Thing I saw about them when racing with one in October was that he had a lot of trouble getting heat into those big tires.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:38 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
Thing I saw about them when racing with one in October was that he had a lot of trouble getting heat into those big tires.
Not shocking. I was sitting behind one waiting to go out on track and remember thinking two things.

1. That car is HUGE when I'm in my FC.
2. Those tires look like Can-Am tires. If you don't have lots of aero you might as well go for mechancial grip.

There is one that is regularly at the VIR member days.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:49 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gormanfly1
Yes, the Diazio is made by the same family that owns Putnam Park race track southeast of Indianapolis. They moved to Florida a couple of years ago and I met the son at Sebring last January. They operate out of Florida now but still own Putnam Park. I agree the Radical seems to be much more car for the money. The Diazios I saw on the track at Sebring were always spinning out in front of me. The radicals always passed me.:-) Obviously that's not a particularly fair comparison as the drivers make the difference.
Don't know if you remember whether the Diasio's that were spinning were NA or Turbo's, do you?
Old 09-14-2008, 04:08 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by George3
Hi C.J.
962R's will be about $100K after you're done with setup.
yikes! for that price- I'm going with a formula mazda (~20k used) and signing up for a season in scca...
Old 09-14-2008, 04:09 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Yeah.
I know.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

George, why not talk to Farnbacher and have them build you an H Stock legal Cayman S. Extremely fast, well mannered, and ready to race and be VERY competitive in PCA Club Racing should you ever want to go there. My friend Joel F. is the test bed, and he is doing quite well!
Old 09-14-2008, 04:45 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 95m3racer
I think the ultimate track car right now is a C6z06. You can have more than enough power, great reliability, great handling, and the aftermarket is HUGE! Lots of true race parts to make the car silly fast.

Obviously the gt3 is another fantastic solution, but the vettes are a tad cheaper, and way more HP for those DE championships

Have you ever been in a Radical?
Old 09-14-2008, 05:16 PM
prg
Pro

The big + on the Diaso 962R would be the powertrain vs a Radical. (Neither is a competitive race car.) I believe the 962R has the same powertrain as the pro formula mazda (Renesis rotary motor and Hewland FTR sequential gear box). This is a car powerplant connected to a real race car gearbox. I've raced two rotary cars with ZERO motor failures is 5 years of racing.

The Hewland gearbox is rated to handle far more torque than the renesis puts out. The motorcyle motor/gearboxes are overstressed in the car application (~600lb cycle/rider vs ~1400 lb car/driver). The renesis/Hewland combination is understressed. The motorcyle engine guys will enjoy the advantage of relatively cheap George Dean prepped motor/gearboxes. They will also likely experience the disadvantage of getting to swap out motors on a much more regular basis. I've done 10 races this year on a used Renesis/ FTR with no issues. The gears (which were REM finished) still look pristine. The new Stohr F1000 I regularly race with is on his second GSXR1000 powerplant and still has some issues.

The motorcycle powerplants are great for a racing effort, but if you just want to DE, you may have fewer hassles with a car based drivetrain. My $0.02.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:19 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

You can also PM Mike K. from Montreal here on rennlist. He went from a 996 GT3 to a radical and now a stohr. His latest is absolutely amazing, it has no paint so all you see is CF.

Check these guys out http://www.stohrcars.com/home.php
Old 09-14-2008, 11:51 PM
95m3racer
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Have you ever been in a Radical?
Radicals are awesome, Stohrs are quicker with a similar motor though. I like Stohrs susp/chassis design better. Radicals have a come a long way since their first setups though.

I've run formula cars similar to them, its basically the same thing without the wheel covers.

Fantastic cars, but they are also more dangerous than a Z06 if you're just tooling around at DE's.

Its tough to beat the M3/Z06/GT3's.

The motorcycle powered radical/storh type cars are tons of fun, and have incredible handling potential...the lateral forces we'd see in them were fantastic. The aero development into them recently is also great. It also means the cars are more tricky to drive at the limit, since you're now relying more on aero loads for grip.

Quick Reply: Diasio 962R... Anybody Know Anything About These Cars ??