Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First race...... what is your advice for a rookie?.........

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:03 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Paolo, come down to Summit and do your first race. Myself and streak are doing the PCA race in early October. At least you have a chance of finishing ahead of 2 cars ....
Old 09-10-2008, 08:45 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paolo - congrats on taking the next step -- I'm sure you will keep us informed on your progress. If you don't -- I'm sure the region you run with -- will.

Meanwhile, don't forget to bring really good food to bribe the stewards with. Make sure you bang on the door of the timing and scoring booth and say hey to all the hard workers -- counting cars, using computers, running around like chickens without their heads. They won't appreciate the interruptions - but will smile when you hand them a meal they can't resist. Well, maybe not... so how about feeding everyone in your class - so they are too tired to run around the track with you instead?
Old 09-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
well depending on what breaks, you might not have a choice. gearbox, engine, etc - unless you've got a spare of said part, and a pit crew (LOL) you are toast.

pushing your vehicle around the track while it leaks oil is frowned upon, even in pca.
I replaced my own tranny in the paddock during a race weekend...I hired a crew...the next time it happened they did it...my race weekend was FAR more enjoyable..
Old 09-10-2008, 10:31 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

we were repeatedly told in race school to don't forget to shift. Sounded silly in the classroom but just you wait for that first start.
Don't forget to shift !!
and enjoy

Jack
Old 09-10-2008, 10:32 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
BAhhhhhh haaaaaah.

Paolo, physical, paperwork, register and your done.
Bob, is that all it takes?.........
Old 09-10-2008, 10:40 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Joe P. thanks for actually answering the original questions......

Good hands if the track was in a better condition and a bit closer, I would seriously consider it........ Good luck guys.......

Darkside You got a point there.....I might just bring a BBQ and park it right next to the officials......everyone one has got to eat, right?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously though, with all the big shot racers on this forum........where are all the pearls of wisdom?

I guess some of you guys just don't want to share your "secrets".........
Old 09-11-2008, 12:02 AM
Chulo
Racer

Originally Posted by pedsurg
we were repeatedly told in race school to don't forget to shift. Sounded silly in the classroom but just you wait for that first start.
Don't forget to shift !!
and enjoy

Jack
I'll second that. Don't forget to shift on the start. It's really loud, very easy to do if you don't have a shift light. You don't want to get hit in the rear on a start.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:25 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 221 Likes on 110 Posts

Good luck Paolo.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:10 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,369 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter
I replaced my own tranny in the paddock during a race weekend...I hired a crew...the next time it happened they did it...my race weekend was FAR more enjoyable..
so let me get this straight...you brought a spare transmission. I'll bite- might work for miatas but on a pcar, who keeps extra transmissions?
Old 09-11-2008, 09:20 AM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

so let me get this straight...you brought a spare transmission. I'll bite- might work for miatas but on a pcar, who keeps extra transmissions?
I have 2 for my race car.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:26 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good hands if the track was in a better condition and a bit closer, I would seriously consider it........
Paolo,
The track has been repaved for our race. Click HERE for pics etc.

C'mon....we'll be gentle with your cherry :-)
Old 09-11-2008, 11:27 AM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

It was for a Miata...and I bought it from one of the teams in the paddock that day.

As for pcar tranny...I have one in my garage...and no pcar...

The good thing about running with a race team is that they DO have spares, including engines, trannies, etc. Expensive? Heck yeah...but who said racing was cheap....

Another example, I put the MX-5 Cup car into the T1 wall at Mosport this year on the test day ()...smashed up the front of the car. The team spent the next day rebuilding the front of the car. They had me out for qual and race the next day just missing 2 practice sessions.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:43 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,369 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter
It was for a Miata...and I bought it from one of the teams in the paddock that day.

As for pcar tranny...I have one in my garage...and no pcar...

The good thing about running with a race team is that they DO have spares, including engines, trannies, etc. Expensive? Heck yeah...but who said racing was cheap....

Another example, I put the MX-5 Cup car into the T1 wall at Mosport this year on the test day ()...smashed up the front of the car. The team spent the next day rebuilding the front of the car. They had me out for qual and race the next day just missing 2 practice sessions.

that's why I'm doing enduros with Team MER this offseaon- they've got a pit crew!
Old 09-11-2008, 11:48 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Paolo,
The track has been repaved for our race. Click HERE for pics etc.

C'mon....we'll be gentle with your cherry :-)
I got to say Tony........ it is very tempting..........
Old 09-11-2008, 11:52 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good luck, like many have said get yourself completely ready. If you or the car are not 100% wait for another day. You should be able to just concentrate on being where your supposed to be and driving like you know how to. If you have car or other issues you just don't need the distraction. There is a lot of stuff that the internet can't teach you.

Remember hitting someone or going off track with PCA and your weekend starts going bad. That would not be looked upon favorably in Comp School either. Play nicely and come out to play another day.

Quick Reply: First race...... what is your advice for a rookie?.........