Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Instructing...Overall Rewarding Experience???
Rewarding, Like it
90.59%
Frustrating, Avoid It
4.71%
Only when the club is short instructors
4.71%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Instructing…Rewarding Experience???

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Craig T.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instructing…Rewarding Experience???

I just had my first experience as an instructor. The student was a young lawyer in a 2007 997S convertible. The first run session felt like I was pushed over Niagara Falls in an empty 55 gl. drum I was screaming into the chatter box so much the poor guy must have permanent ear damage. I never thought a 2 minute lap could be so violent (Avg. DE time in his class is probably 1:35-1:40)

I insisted on driving two laps to start the 2nd session so he could see that “smooth” is fast. I ran a 7/10 1:42 and that’s all it took. He was a different guy after that. It just clicked for him. He finished the day with a very smooth and consistent 1:38-1:40 session, with traffic, in 110 degree heat. Funny, I was proud of him, a complete stranger.

Is this typical for a first time instructor-student experience?
Old 09-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 77 Posts

I hope to one day have that experience!

Congrats!
Mike
Old 09-08-2008, 02:07 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First times are always memorable, as you instruct more you will have many more memorable rides, I have many stories to tell after some 20yrs of it.

I find the hardest part of instructing has nothing to do with the track nor the car, the real challenge is getting into your students head to determine how they learn so you CAN then teach them.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:20 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Wonderfully rewarding; adds so much to the enjoyment of DE.
CRAIG - some of the Niagara Falls experience may have been because it was your first as well. The more I instruct, the more easily I relax. That feeling of 'OK, I've seen this before' is a big help.
Of course, there is always the new experience to keep things exciting!
Have fun with your instructing - it will make you a better driver, too.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:52 PM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you guys had a great weekend out there Craig. I couldn't make it, but hearing about those temperatures, maybe it's good I sat this one out.

I've never had a student that scared me in POC, although I had a pretty crazy one in Speedventures a year ago.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Turbo Stan
Advanced

Rewarding. Frustrating. Why do they have to be mutually exclusive? I love teaching. It really is a thrill seeing a student change in just a day. The only downside for me is jumping back and forth from the student's car to your own and then finding time to fill up with gas in between. Its a lot more effort than I thought especially in the South Florida heat.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,671 Likes on 862 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
it will make you a better driver, too.

+1
Old 09-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
CRAIG - some of the Niagara Falls experience may have been because it was your first as well. The more I instruct, the more easily I relax. That feeling of 'OK, I've seen this before' is a big help.
Of course, there is always the new experience to keep things exciting!
Have fun with your instructing - it will make you a better driver, too.
+2. Of course, I've been lucky - I can honestly say I've yet to have a bad student.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I don't instruct too much (or do many DE's). I am always amazed at how some drivers can change their driving style so quickly. It's always cool to see your students get faster and faster, so, yes, it's very rewarding.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:13 PM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by Turbo Stan
The only downside for me is jumping back and forth from the student's car to your own and then finding time to fill up with gas in between. .
I have total respect for you guys who teach especailly in the heat. LAst week I did my 4 sole sessions plus went out with a couple of instructors for rides. After 6 20 minute sessions I was done for the day yet one of the instructors was doing 9 sessions in the day (his own 4, 4 students plus a sign off) I do not know how he made it!

One day I hope to teach so I can give something back as I take so much out every session I get with an instructor
Old 09-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by DanR
One day I hope to teach so I can give something back as I take so much out every session I get with an instructor
Glad to hear!
Old 09-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Craig T.
Racer

Originally Posted by JC3D
I couldn't make it, but hearing about those temperatures, maybe it's good I sat this one out.
John, it was hot! Like always, Laurie, Jackie, and the crew took good care of us with unlimitted bottled water on ice, and a few intercom reminders to drink.

Surprisingly, considering the heat, there were some fast times. Don Matz ran a 1:24.2 in an IP car! Took my track record by 2 seconds
Old 09-08-2008, 05:46 PM
grehalva
Advanced

Craig,
Each time out with a student is different. If I have a student who is trying to show me how fast they are and do not pay attention to what I'm saying I have them pull in so we can talk. I find this helps so they know what the point of what a DE is and who the instructing who.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:02 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

I find the hardest part of instructing has nothing to do with the track nor the car, the real challenge is getting into your students head to determine how they learn so you CAN then teach them.
+1
Old 09-08-2008, 06:07 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I have recently started to think about instructing. I won't do it until I have an R3 H&N System. They are just soo much $$ considering I already have a HANS to use in my car.

I expect satisfaction and a few 'Code Brown' moments. The Green student with a Corvette or GT3 worries me the most.

Quick Reply: Instructing…Rewarding Experience???