Sponsored by:

Spokan, WA area PPI suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 06:53 PM
Z06 convert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spokan, WA area PPI suggestion

I looking a purchasing a 1976 930 with a modified 3.3 motor about 400+ HP. SC cams, K27 etc the car also has quite a bit of suspension modifications. This will be used as a track car.

Does anyone know of a performance or race shop in the Spokane area that is quailifed to do a PPI on this Turbo?

thanks For any help. Steve
Old 08-31-2008, 09:58 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Steve, your best bet IMHO would be Richard Buechler at Alpine Motors in Hayden, Idaho (208) 819-7914.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:12 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How close is Steve Weiner in Portland Oregon? He's very knowledgeable on 930s.

http://www.rennsportsystems.com/~porsche/2a.html
Old 09-01-2008, 09:31 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
How close is Steve Weiner in Portland Oregon? He's very knowledgeable on 930s.

http://www.rennsportsystems.com/~porsche/2a.html
About 5.5 - 6.0 hours, 350+ miles.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Johninrsf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a Porsche dealership between Spokane and Post Falls. I'm sure you could get them to do a PPI
http://www.porscheofspokane.com
Also, the's a PCA Chapter in Spokane. The President is shown on the PCA WEB site as Mike Moran 509 292 0824
Old 09-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Johninrsf
Racer

Originally Posted by Johninrsf
There's a Porsche dealership between Spokane and Post Falls. I'm sure you could get them to do a PPI
http://www.porscheofspokane.com
Also, the's a PCA Chapter in Spokane. The President is shown on the PCA WEB site as Mike Moran 509 292 0824
He probably knows the car!
Old 09-01-2008, 11:06 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve,
FWIW...
Mike Moran does know Porsches and in fact has a pristine`86 - 930 that belonged to another INWR member (who has a lift in his shop). I know Mike would be more than happy to look at the 930 in question (or coordinate your effort) as would several other of our knowledgeable local PCA members, however... if it's a professional PPI from a mechanic knowledgeable in the older cars you're after... the only other clear choice (again IMHO) in our area would be Hartmut Leusehner (factory trained/worked at one time for Vasek Polak) who retired and sold his business to Richard at Alpine Motors. Our new dealership (in Liberty Lake) is a great resource (in fact I bought my Cayenne from them and have it serviced there) and is actively involved in our region, but their forte is in the newer OBDII vehicles. I would whole heartedly recommend our dealer if you were looking at buying a newer turbo.

Shoot... I might know the car

Last edited by cab&coupe; 09-01-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Z06 convert
Instructor

Thanks everyone

The car is in Sandpoint, Id. Once I talk to the seller (Hopefully today) I will contact one or two of the shops recomended.

Thanks again for all you help! Steve
Old 09-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Z06 convert
Instructor

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Steve, your best bet IMHO would be Richard Buechler at Alpine Motors in Hayden, Idaho (208) 819-7914.
I just checked and Hayden is only about 40 miles away so that might work. I will follow up on Tuesday

thanks again

The price seems right. The only draw back is the distance to get the car to Southern Calif. If I don't go forward I'll be sure and let you guys know how this works out.

My wife is VERY understanding regarding my "addiction". Fortunatley she also drives in Auto-X and Time Trial events at both the Zone 8 PCA and POC events.
You've got to love a women who tell you you really shouldn't be buying anymore cars till you build a second garage
Old 09-01-2008, 02:09 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve, Alpine Motors is your best bet being the car is in Sandpoint. Wish I'd have known last weekend... I was in Sandpoint having a beer on the deck at the Beach House Also, there are a few folks here in the area that trailer down to Thunderhill, Laguna, etc. from time to time. Let me know if you need further help.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Johninrsf
Racer

Steve,
Not to throw cold water on your idea, but why a turbo? Turbo track cars are constant problems. The two most important questions are: Who you gonna run with? What Class do you want to be in?
If you're just starting out with Porsches, you've got a lot of guys in your immediate area with POC who could help you --and there are a lot of great race cars available (incl turbos) already built that you could buy (in your area) for a fraction of the cost to build one from scratch!
If you decide to have the 930 taken to Hayden, I'm there and could "eyeball" it for you.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:26 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

John, you raise some great questions and if you're in Hayden would be a logical choice for checking out the 930.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:35 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris Powell in Bellevue,WA. Chris's German Auto. Built the BayCity 935s. Great guy. It is in the Seattle area. Perhaps give him a call and see who he would suggest.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Z06 convert
Instructor

Thanks for all the help.

If I get a chance I will follow up with this in the next week. Work was a LITTLE crazy the last couple weeks in the mortgage business

Yes there are a lot of cars in POC for sale. I told my wife this would be just a fun project to maybe fixup, drive a little and sell.............RIGHT

Thanks again!
Old 09-30-2008, 10:08 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06 convert
I looking a purchasing a 1976 930 with a modified 3.3 motor about 400+ HP. SC cams, K27 etc the car also has quite a bit of suspension modifications. This will be used as a track car.

Does anyone know of a performance or race shop in the Spokane area that is quailifed to do a PPI on this Turbo?

thanks For any help. Steve

Steve have you given serious thought as to what class this car would run in with POC? If it's still a turbo motor it would might point out in V0, or it would become a GT1 car. Your competition in V0 would be Marty Mehterian with his 500 HP 930, and in GT1 it would be the 900 HP cars from 911 Design. Just wanting you to consider the possibilities of your purchase. A 400 HP turbo car is not very competitive in today's fields.

By contrast, the up and coming 996 Spec class looks to be a blast next year as it develops (John Cherniack and Bill Hartsock), and of course my favorite the Spec Boxster class. There are many race cars for sale in this lousy economy. It's a buyers market and a car from Idaho really makes little sense....

BTW, the costs for running a high HP tubo car are almost unilaterally astronomically high....

Quick Reply: Spokan, WA area PPI suggestion