Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's get some Road America reports...someone report in

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I spoke with Chris yesterday and he doesn't think it is really that bad.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Chulo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman

Huge Porsche-spirit props to Ben Gabis (Chulo) who let Dan Curry use his windshield(!) after Dan lost his in the kink (doh!). That's the camaraderie that this sport is all about.
Didn't think twice about it. We were there to race, and my misfortune was his gain. Bummer he couldn't do the enduro.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:54 PM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darrendeguire
Chulo, sorry we missed hooking up.
MO - good to meet you too. Hope we can all get out there together next time.

Mike O. had mechanical issues too and the other rookie in the yellow GT3 had a problem in the sprint qualify I think and then he was gone. I was the only J car left.

I have to say it was a blast to be on pole for the enduro. It was a real thrill. I don't think I would have been there if MO and Mike had not had mechanical issues, but i did do my fast lap of the weekend during the enduro qualify at 2.31.5. Still plenty of room for improvement by me though, sub .30's should be very doable.

Great time. How is your car set up?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's a backmarker view of the purple enduro : http://www.vimeo.com/1654463

I've got to say that people did an amazing job of avoiding the incident as that could have been MUCH worse.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:49 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brian P
I've got to say that people did an amazing job of avoiding the incident as that could have been MUCH worse.
No kidding, Brian. I was just bracing myself for contact as I hit the brakes and was totally amazed by the Ninja-like reflexes of us backmarkers.
Nice to finally meet you in person and thanks for sharing!
Old 09-02-2008, 10:02 PM
DanC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chulo
Didn't think twice about it. We were there to race, and my misfortune was his gain. Bummer he couldn't do the enduro.
It was great to meet Ben, Joey, Oscar and many others. This was my first club race and losing a windshield on the track was yet another new experience for me. I was staring blankly at my car when Joey, Oscar and Ben offered to help with my missing windshield. Joey drove me around the paddock to speak with some mechanics about possible solutions. Oscar offered a spare that was in Chicago but we couldn't find a way to transport it to RA in time. Then Ben offered the windshield from his car! A friend of mine was able to do the installation in time for the sprint race. I had expected to return to NJ without being able to race. I was amazed that a group of guys who had never even met me before Saturday made such an effort to help get me back on the track.

BTW I plan to write a letter to RA suggesting that they add more pavement at trackout for the kink. I'll let everyone know how that goes.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Doug Crossman was absolutely smokin' this weekend. Had E covered. The other big story in our group was Pat Womack in a D 911 who had most of E and F covered. Way to go guys.
So what happened to Doug, heard he had a minor problem...?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:35 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

He was tapped in the right rear corner just past the flag at the start, putting him into a spin -- cars everywhere.

I missed Jeff Parnell by a millimeter at most. Yikes. He said he wished he hadn't seen my video.

Doug's car had minor damage, but he was out of the race. I think he had it in him to win the E Enduro to go with his win the day before.

As to the oil on Sunday, it was on line from the back straight all the way to 14. I did two opposite locks in 12 and managed to stay out of the gravel.

Took ages to clean it up. The poor DE-ers were the ones that really suffered. They had just 2 or 3 lap sessions, so the racers could get back on schedule.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:41 PM
rsa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joey bagadonuts
No kidding, Brian. I was just bracing myself for contact as I hit the brakes and was totally amazed by the Ninja-like reflexes of us backmarkers.
Nice to finally meet you in person and thanks for sharing!
Joey, notice the incredibly quick reflexes of Big T as he avoids me (directly behind the wreck) and the car on the inside. Mike showed me his video and all I could say was thank you for not hitting me!
Old 09-02-2008, 10:41 PM
rsa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Doh, Mike you're too fast for me! You beat me to this post!
Old 09-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DanC
It was great to meet Ben, Joey, Oscar and many others. This was my first club race and losing a windshield on the track was yet another new experience for me. I was staring blankly at my car when Joey, Oscar and Ben offered to help with my missing windshield. Joey drove me around the paddock to speak with some mechanics about possible solutions. Oscar offered a spare that was in Chicago but we couldn't find a way to transport it to RA in time. Then Ben offered the windshield from his car! A friend of mine was able to do the installation in time for the sprint race. I had expected to return to NJ without being able to race. I was amazed that a group of guys who had never even met me before Saturday made such an effort to help get me back on the track.

BTW I plan to write a letter to RA suggesting that they add more pavement at trackout for the kink. I'll let everyone know how that goes.
Obviously it was because they don't KNOW you that they offered to help......

Seriously, congrats on your first race and that new license! Great job by everyone in helping my friend get back out there.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:43 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rsa
Joey, notice the incredibly quick reflexes of Big T as he avoids me (directly behind the wreck) and the car on the inside. Mike showed me his video and all I could say was thank you for not hitting me!
Sometimes Mike times that nervous twitch that he has for just the right moment!
Old 09-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
Here's a backmarker view of the purple enduro : http://www.vimeo.com/1654463

thanks for posting that Brian.

I'm two cars ahead on the left. You can see me swerve to avoid Jeff Parnell.

By the way, I believe we did some battling over the weekend as well
Old 09-02-2008, 10:53 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
thanks for posting that Brian.

I'm two cars ahead on the left. You can see me swerve to avoid Jeff Parnell.

By the way, I believe we did some battling over the weekend as well
Not realizing that was you, I watched that segment several times thinking, "Wow, that guy's quick!"

No turtle, you are.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:56 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fred C - Good to see you over the weekend. Will you be going to Daytona?
Jupe - Excellent wheeling on Saturday during qualifying. Sorry if I held you up, but I've been out of the game for too long. And I missed out on the angels baked goods. I did come by the trailer twice, but each time she was gone...
Kim Gutowski and Tim McKenzie really put on commanding displays of talent in their respective sprints.
Accidents aside, the talent was pretty strong this weekend.

Quick Reply: Let's get some Road America reports...someone report in