Sponsored by:

Let's get some Road America reports...someone report in

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone know what kind of lap times the SPBOX guys were running? I could look on "mylaps" but I didn't write down any of the car numbers.

Do any of you have the numbers or know their times?
Old 09-04-2008, 11:22 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's actually a "Show by class" option on the mylaps results pages which can help you sort through the info. Here are the Sprint Qualifying numbers:
Old 09-04-2008, 05:26 PM
230ERACER
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Luck....something I ain't got lately

First off my apoligies BIG TIME to everybody Saturday morning for the oil down out of the kink. I had no idea I had oil leaking. Now to help explain what was going on.

1. Saturday morning warm up. Two guys 66 Bryan H. and 714 Pat H. got together coming out of the kink in front of me....Bryan did an unbelieveable job saving it, he got bumbed in the right rear sending him straight for the right side wall and saved it. I'm coming through a second later watching it all happen thinking he is going to come back across and history for me, he saves it and I am now able to start braking (car is too light to brake before the apex) 714 is on the binders hard still on left side of track and I can't stop fast enough...would have swerved but two guys are already on my right side coming through so I had nowhere to go. Bumbed 714 smack dab in the rear about 10mph and tore the bumper all to hell, I thought that was all (my big time bad!).

2. Now what is going through my mind is....got punted the day earlier in turn 5 on the first lap of the fun race, three of us F'ers racing and Chip S. and I get by the other guy (can't remember his name but nice guy....he came by afterwards and apoligized) but he can't get whooood up enough coming down the inside and punts me into a 180 spin....hit my left rear with his front right fender on his nose...video shows I left him plenty of race room....about 35 guys do a great job missing me. The other guy gets the 13 and I'm good to go. Saturday morning warm up, new tires, 4-5 laps and set the pressures and move to the qualifing session....NOT, these two guys get together in a very bad spot and I get the worst of it.

3. I had no idea I have an oil line damaged (no excuse I know Steward Bruce) I should have sat there and let the RA corner workers come over and take a look at me and then make a decission on what to do. Instead I get upset because I am in a bad spot on the track at the wrong time two days in a row because of somebody else's mistakes and all I can think about is I've got about 45 minutes for Dan J. to fix my car before I can go out to qualify. In the meantime I also know I have to go to the black flag station and deal with that again.

4. I will be the first to admit I made a big mistake about driving the car in and not waiting on the terrific RA corner workers to take a look at me. It ain't ever going to happen again I can assure you because it looks like I'm going to pay for it with another engine rebuild.

I have all this stuff on video but I am clueless on how to down load it.

Now to the good stuff, I love the track and can't wait to get more seat time on it and get there next year for the CR. The volunteers from Chicago region have it organized to the "T" and do a great job and everybody was as nice as what you would expect from the good old midwest!

And again sorry for my mistake on the oil down!
Old 09-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by joey bagadonuts
There's actually a "Show by class" option on the mylaps results pages which can help you sort through the info. Here are the Sprint Qualifying numbers:
Thanks Joey!!!!

I'm considering SPBOX and I wanted to see if I could be competitive. I'm in that range with my car so it looks good.

Does anyone know the minimum weight for SPBOX?
Old 09-04-2008, 08:28 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Thanks Joey!!!!

I'm considering SPBOX and I wanted to see if I could be competitive. I'm in that range with my car so it looks good.

I would think a spec boxster should be similar to the new F class, which is in the 2:37 range.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Colin

Spec Boxster are low hp cars. Jay told me something like 175 hp, might have been even less, but well under 200.

Missed ya this weekend BTW.

(EDIT: Those numbers are dyno at the wheels)
Old 09-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Wayne

Sounds like a tough weekend.

Some drivers meetings used to advise if you have an off in the kitty litter or contact something, take it back off line to black flag in case you're dropping gravel or fluids. Don't know why they don't do that any more.

BTW, we ran together for a bit Friday or Saturday. Did my best to slow you down
Old 09-04-2008, 09:06 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Thanks Joey!!!!

Ray it's 2700 lbs w/driver & gear. They're 201 HP motors at the flywheel OEM. We use a lightweight flywheel and open exhaust so it adds a bit more, but everything else is stock.....
Old 09-04-2008, 09:17 PM
230ERACER
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brains

Mike I agree....I just had no idea I had anything but bumper damage, I learned from this one I guess. I was also a little pi...ed about the whole thing if you know what I mean.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:46 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Colin

Spec Boxster are low hp cars. Jay told me something like 175 hp, might have been even less, but well under 200.

Missed ya this weekend BTW.

(EDIT: Those numbers are dyno at the wheels)
Ok, so it is almost exactly the same hp and weight as an E class euro SC, so should run similar times (2:38s).
Old 09-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

I know of only two Euro SCs that turn 2:38s but in theory, yes.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Ok, so it is almost exactly the same hp and weight as an E class euro SC, so should run similar times (2:38s).
I think the euro SC is more capable of being "tuned" than the 97-99 Boxster. Also, the spec boxster tire isn't as sticky as what the euro SC is likely running. Finally, the spec boxster suspension is PSS9's with approximately 450 pound springs.

I think 2:40's are more realistic for the spec boxster.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:58 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
I think the euro SC is more capable of being "tuned" than the 97-99 Boxster. Also, the spec boxster tire isn't as sticky as what the euro SC is likely running. Finally, the spec boxster suspension is PSS9's with approximately 450 pound springs.

I think 2:40's are more realistic for the spec boxster.
Yeah, most Euro SCs are "tuned" alright Try around 210-220 @ the wheels & torque we will never see. My car is 187hp.
I would love to see us roll out a surprise dyno @ some of our events like NASA does. Of course, I felt the same way when I was driving an early 996 Cup that was down 30+ hp to the late cars. Still managed a :21 but I had to work harder to get there then the guys in the '03-'05s did. Also, all our motors are completely stock since Porsche won't sell parts only reman motors. Mine currently has 137k miles on the clock. Steve's is at 80k. We can hang @ shorter tracks but the hills @ RA eat our lunch. My car would hit the front straight hill & sit @ 5k until I crested. We were over at the cafe watching the cups run & I was really surprised from that view how steep that sucker is. You can even hear them load up there on the climb. The Toyos & soft suspension are also a detriment but not as much as the lack of grunt(torque) @ long track like RA. Anyway, enough w/excuses. I doubt we'll ever break :40 but :41 is probably doable over time.

PS: I spent $ 300.00 on tires for the weekend which is nice. We are getting 2+ weekends out of a set & they get better after 8 cycles or so. Plus, I'm working on Toyo bucks so we should start seeing some checks roll in like the POC guys are. Car is $ 30k including the donor ready to race. Cheap & w/more cars in class=lots of fun! They have some great class battles out on the West coast & that's what it's really all about! We should have 8-10 @ Hallett in October
Old 09-05-2008, 12:42 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 252 Posts

Way too early to judge the speed of the SpecBoxsters at this point.

None of us in PCA have much seat time or development time in yet and just as the lap times in the other classes have dropped over the years, so will these. Also three of the four Boxster drivers had never been to RA before and the 4th had only been there in a Cup car, a very different animal. Two of the four cars did not even have a log book before the event. The class has only existing in PCA for a few months, lets give it some time.

The other classes are on Hoosiers, the Boxsters on Toyo R888. What is that worth? Nevermind, we already had complete threads on that.

As mentioned, RA is a horsepower/torque track. Pick something tight and twisty and the results will change. Check out Jay's result from Barber as an early example of that.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:27 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

BTW: who stuck around long enough to hear who got awards like "best rookie" and "worker's choice"?

Quick Reply: Let's get some Road America reports...someone report in