Sponsored by:

New to me HPDE one event insurance

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 10:28 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New to me HPDE one event insurance

I was surfing looking for doing a DE at Pocono raceway and found this link to a provider of HPDE insurance. Never heard of them or anyone discussing just thought I would pass it on to those interested. FYI

http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/Default.aspx?cID=31
Old 08-29-2008, 11:01 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Almost seems TGTBT. Single event premium for a $45k car is $270, with a 5% (min $1000) deductible. Doesn't matter if the event is 1, 2 or 3 days.

Any more info on this company?
Old 08-30-2008, 08:04 AM
investlt
Instructor

I agree, it does seem TGTBT.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:05 AM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a long conversation with Ryan Staub - the agent for the one event at a time insurance. They are only insuring approved Driver Eds. It seems they have been trying to work this out for a number of years, and are ready. Funny, I've been reading this on other forums - and the person who has insurance for DEs for 1 year will compare the rates -- but the one event at a time was truly designed for the person who does less than 6 events a year.

I did get the Dark Side approved, and hope that it all goes well. Most people are very favorable to it. One person gave me a strange answer - they felt that if the cars had a security blanket of insurance, they might try to really push it.

As a person who has seen the car she loves have a blow out and a roll over and die -- I am happy to see coverage for the few events we go to. We had basically taken out our own insurance policy -- like so many -- and drive an affordable 944 around the track...

And for a few extra dollars - should something happen to that car, it would be nice to get something back - yes?
Old 08-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many of our DE attendees are using this insurance. Our registration process is now handled through www.motorsportreg.com, and selecting this insurance is made REALLY simple by the ability to add it to the reg fee for any approved DE at the time you sign up.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:18 PM
michael lang
Advanced

I haven't used it yet but in Oct for my next track event at Summit Point I am planning on trying it out. The type of policy that Ryan writes is perfect for what I need based on the number of track days (6-8) I attend in a season.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:35 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Originally Posted by Bull
Many of our DE attendees are using this insurance.
Since they've started using the insurance - has anyone had a claim? If yes, did it go smoothly?

I just feel since L-A knows exactly what it is that they are insuring, a claim wouldn't be like the 6-month ordeal we went through with our car insurance when we had a track mishap...

I just have to ask....

P.S. I wonder if L-A will be making a deal with clubregistration.net -- that seems to be a popular site to register for an PCA event.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have no knowledge of claims experience.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:54 PM
z12358
Track Day

Originally Posted by DarkSideDE
As a person who has seen the car she loves have a blow out and a roll over and die
Sorry for the off topic, but as a Boxster owner I had to ask this. I assume it was your Boxster from the sig that rolled over. Could you give some details about the roll-over, especially on how the roll-bars did (or didn't) do their job? You can PM me if you prefer.

On the topic... $270 for a $45k day's track coverage sounds VERY cheap. And if it's per event (2,3 days) it's bordering on the ridiculous.

Z.
06 Boxster S
Old 08-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by investlt
I agree, it does seem TGTBT.
What would one of the other usual companies charge for one of their seanon long on-track policies for an equal value car?

Most of the other policies that I have looked into are good for either a "season" or for something like 10 events (not days). In a thread on another website (PCA Region site where members often do 8-10-12 events per season) people were complaining that this per event coverage was too high because they were comparing it to full season/multiple event policies from other companies. When they divided their seasonal policies by the number of events that they did, they found a per event cost lower than the coverage being discussed here. Some have claimed to have figured out that the sweet spot for this coverage is for those doing 6 or less events each season (when compared to annual coverage). I haven't done the math.

One difference I see here is that this insurer qualifies the events/sanctioning bodies that will be covered before providing coverage. In their minds, they likely see this as controlling their exposure. The multi event and annual coverages usual define the type of track event (not racing for instance) but not the organizer, etc.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Most important is the fact that this coverage exists! I'm getting re-quoted for next year from WSIB, using $30K as the value knowing I almost assuredly would buy back the car and build a new one. It's a 10 Event policy for myself and my wife. I can add to it or do a singular event coverage as shown here. I like the choices.. $25K coverage for a 2-3 day event - $154? I can do that...
Old 08-30-2008, 07:02 PM
investlt
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bull
What would one of the other usual companies charge for one of their seanon long on-track policies for an equal value car?
I guess when you put it that way it might make sense. Still it would be nice to know of some experiences with claims. Also, I did check the site and went through the initial process of applying for coverage and saw my next two events in the drop down list.

Last edited by investlt; 08-30-2008 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Added quote from previous post....
Old 08-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by investlt
I guess when you put it that way it might make sense. Still it would be nice to know of some experiences with claims...........
As it would be for any of the insurance coverages being offered recently.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I absolutely plan on using it for any DE's that I do.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:05 AM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

just filled the app out for the Sept BMW DE at RA. Using Kelly it's not possible to establish the base value of a 1988 924 S in great condtion but it came within a reasonable amount at $4000. I added $4000 for total suspension professional rebuild (with receipts) & $3500 safety equipment, custom roll bar, FIA seats, 6 pt belts. The premium quoted, (instructor group) $65.00 plus $10. to Motorsportsreg for handling. $1000 Deductible. I didn't order it yet as there is some confusing legal stuff about being legal/or not legal in GA. Will call them on Tuesday to confirm. Sounds like a great deal to me.

Quick Reply: New to me HPDE one event insurance