Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grandam- Big Wreck New Jersey Motorsport Park .

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 09:46 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its pretty telling to me the activities of the rest of the day were postponed after this incident. Would make me think that GrandAm and the track mgmt were having some discussions on how to modify it for the rest of the weekend. Be interesting to see what the rest of the weekend brings. If nothing's done you might see the drivers start to say something about it.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:48 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Thank God he is OK. From the one medical report listed on Speed, it stated he was unconcious for several minutes, which qualifies him for a grade 2 concusion at a minimum. I will be surprised if he is cleared to race.

IMHO, As far as the track, it's very surprising to have such a design flaw in a modern facility. VIR it aint! They will need to address the pit out at lightning as this also is an area of when not if an incident will occur.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:02 PM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I heard that they shut the track down to increase the length of the guardrail from pit in towards the bridge.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:06 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by renvagn

IMHO, As far as the track, it's very surprising to have such a design flaw in a modern facility. VIR it aint! They will need to address the pit out at lightning as this also is an area of when not if an incident will occur.
I have no doubt that any real problems will quickly be dealt with. There were changes made at VIR after it first opened 8 seasons ago.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:53 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunatly as most designs, actual usage shows its flaws much faster than test. NJmotorsports park has worked quicky on other items i am sure this one will be taken care of also. in the mean time dont stand anywhere near that area it more of a danger to bystanders down pit road than the drivers
Old 08-28-2008, 11:03 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
That section of the track was identified as an ara of concern with Shattenbaum's DE a couple of weeks ago. There had been a couple of significant wrecks a few days earlier at pit in and the track had made some adjustments, widening that section a bit.

Sorry to hear someone else had a wreck and hopefull they get back on track for the race.
Joe's correct, we were informed of this at the instructor's orientation at the Schattenbaum D.E. 11 days ago. But, this doesn't sound like so much of a problem with track design as an instance of another car getting out of shape in the last turn in front of Pruitt and Scott steering left to avoid that vehicle and then colliding with the armco where it divdes the track from pit-in.

One thing that NJMP should consider adding a.s.a.p. are those barrels that they have at pit-in at WGI (remember this year's big crash near the end of the NASCAR race at WGI). IMHO, Pruitt's car would not have been cut in two had that kind of safety device (or even a tire barrier) been in place at that location on the Thunderbolt circuit.

Thank goodness that Scott Pruitt is a-okay. I hope he drives (and drives well) this weekend.

Richard
Old 08-28-2008, 11:37 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Yes Scott was very lucky today and it would be very surprising if he is cleared to race this weekend , not one part of the car is re usable ...
Old 08-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

The team withdrew. He won't be racing this weekend.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:25 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, I heard the wreck was really bad, that is a serious design flaw. At our DE, numerous guys were having issues there as well. The other areas of concern are the octopus and narrowness overall.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:33 AM
smankow
Pro

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
The team withdrew. He won't be racing this weekend.
on the Grand-Am site, they say that the crew is on their way back to Indianapolis to get the backup car. Why wasn't it there to begin with?
Old 08-29-2008, 09:33 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by smankow
on the Grand-Am site, they say that the crew is on their way back to Indianapolis to get the backup car. Why wasn't it there to begin with?
Ah, I guess they changed their minds.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:02 AM
opus
Instructor

I think we need to take extra care in DE in the section between the Esses and the area just before the straight way. That entire area should be no passing in DE. This incident amongst others makes me hesitant to attend DE - I got one more DE scheduled for this year at Thunderbolt.

Could NJMP add a left hander turn after the bridge followed by a right hander to create more of a separation between pit in area and the main track? Just my 0.0002 cent.

Last edited by opus; 08-29-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:41 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I did the first DE there with PDA, they really wanted us to only put 2 wheels on that concrete curbing at the apex. The concrete is very abrasive, almost like the finished it with a rake, and can really unsettle the car going from the concrete to asphalt.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by richard glickel
One thing that NJMP should consider adding a.s.a.p. are those barrels that they have at pit-in at WGI (remember this year's big crash near the end of the NASCAR race at WGI). IMHO, Pruitt's car would not have been cut in two had that kind of safety device (or even a tire barrier) been in place at that location on the Thunderbolt circuit.
Richard
I agree, I think it was Sam Hornish who slid sideways into that barrier at WGI. He basically t-boned it, with the end of the wall going right into the driver's side door. I was amazed he wasn't seriously injured, but those sand-filled barrels and the cage of his car absorbed the energy. When I first read about Pruett's incident yesterday it immediately reminded me of that horrible crash coming out of T11 at WGI. The disaster potential on that last turn coming onto the front straight seems high for both tracks - any incident at the front of a cluster of cars can collect multiple cars in a hurry.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by opus
I think we need to take extra care in DE in the section between the Esses and the area just before the straight way. That entire area should be no passing in DE.
I agree. I'm told there was some passing going on there in the Red group a couple weeks ago, although I didn't see any myself. I always waited until I had tracked out left onto the straight to give a point-by to anyone following me out of the last carousel.

I think this area can be managed safely in DE with cooperation, but racing through there will be hairy.

Quick Reply: Grandam- Big Wreck New Jersey Motorsport Park .