Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POC Race at Laguna Seca. Anderson wins and then DQ'ed for a misshift? YES- VIDEO!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 09:13 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
I guess after driving this track so much, that that part of the start finish is not the place to pass, unless you know you got room. It wouldnt have hurt him to wait until the wall went by. Thats actually turn 1. If you look at the direction his car is pointing, most allcars are pointing there, the tendancy is to fade right, even though you are driving fairly straight. There was a guy on the right, but, it is up to the passing car to make a safe pass. If it were me, I would have waited until we got passed that wall. maybe he should have used his horn!

mk

t
OK, I finally got on a computer where I could see a video. Wow. No way in hell would *I* try to pull off a pass there, even if I were in row DFL (where I'd probably have qualified). But that's just me who builds/fixes/pays for every damn thing on my car(s).
Old 08-26-2008, 10:22 PM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That video explains it a bit better. I was garaged next to the white car so I only got to see the aftermath until now. Congrats on the Sunday race John.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:04 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
OK, I finally got on a computer where I could see a video. Wow. No way in hell would *I* try to pull off a pass there, even if I were in row DFL (where I'd probably have qualified). But that's just me who builds/fixes/pays for every damn thing on my car(s).
Ken as I stated previously he wasn't trying to make a pass. He was simply trying to avoid the stalled car directly in front of him. I was only 2 rows back and I couldn't see what was happening until the waters parted and I saw cars bouncing around. I shudder to imagine what might have happened had he rear ended Anderson in the middle of the track with all those cars coming full throtle into a narrowing track....
Old 08-27-2008, 12:48 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

These videos are great. They get us to think about what we would do in these kinds of situations.

I have over 100 race days with SCCA now. We have a lot of situations where drivers have to make these kinds of decisions. It seems to me that most of the competitors seem to always lean toward the safer route, or a route that wont end up in a lost car, as most of use work on them ourselves.

I think its kind of silly to have rules of no passing before start finish or 3 wide through a turn. Thats racing. We have some of the closest racing around in SCCA Its not uncommon for the top 4 cars all to exchange the lead during the race, or the qual times to be within tenths of a second of each other. The best part of the race in my opinion, IS the start.

mk

Originally Posted by Johninrsf
I guess it's time for me to speak up.
The video is my video.
I was asked for a copy and didn't realize it would be passed on to Mark K. and posted on Rennlist for everyone to debate POC's judgement, which is something that I don't think members of POC should do outside our special Club.
The POC Competition Committee does a great and deliberative job in evaluating all available information which usually includes more than one tape--as was true in this case.
My opinion is that our Comp. Comm. does an excellent job in evaluating each situation and I don't think you could have a fairer person than Steve Parker heading the Committee!!
If a member disagrees with the findings of the Comp. Comm. there is an appeal process that can be pursued. One's first reaction when on the receiving end of something like this is almost always denial, followed by acceptance. I know from personal experience!
Now, as Toby Keith says, "let's talk about me"!!
Could I have given Mark Anderson a run for the money on Sunday?
Saturday was really unfortunate because I was looking forward to racing against Mark on Sunday--a great guy --a great competitor and a great car!!
I guess we'll have to wait until we meet again.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:19 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was there on the hill watching the start and Anderson looked like he literally stopped (mis-shifted) before the start. If you saw it from above Dawson had no were to go after seeing the green. IMO 13/13 is warranted as the root cause is Anderson missing a shift - these are the fastest cars and the twin turbo Dawson's driving does accelerate kind a of quickly. Anderson drove the daylight out of that car but it was an unfortunate circumstance that caused damage at the start and a delay of racing for approximately 10 laps thereafter. It was cool seeing the 928 kicking *** though!
Old 08-27-2008, 01:26 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always love starts, an impossible place to win a race, but an easy place to lose one.
Whats the old saying ...... "To finish first, you must first finish"
Old 08-27-2008, 01:31 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

When we race with any group, we chose to do so and agree to follow the rules of the group. While no 3-wide means less passing at the start, we believe it means less carnage too. No 3-wide or 13/13 may be silly to some, but they are the rules we choose to race by.

I agree that the start is usually the most intense part of a race and I agree that racing with folk that are within a tenth or two of yourself is the most fun. In PRC's GTL class we appear to be building group where we are within a few tenths of each other and it's making for great fun.

I also think videos are great for after the event analysis. What we sometimes loose sight of is that the opinion we form after 10 or 20 views is not the one we made on the first view or in the fractions of a second we had to make the decision in the race while we are struggling with many other factors concurrently. I also find it hard to blame Mark for the contact or "not leaving enough room" given that he obviously was trying to get the car going at the same time. The decision to go inside to make a pass in retrospect wasn't a good one either. Both appear to have paid for the mistakes.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:28 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Ken as I stated previously he wasn't trying to make a pass. He was simply trying to avoid the stalled car directly in front of him. I was only 2 rows back and I couldn't see what was happening until the waters parted and I saw cars bouncing around. I shudder to imagine what might have happened had he rear ended Anderson in the middle of the track with all those cars coming full throtle into a narrowing track....

I disagree that he wasn't trying to make a pass - he looked full on throttle to me trying to get by Mark. The first part was avoidance for sure although if JP had been a foot forward both of their weekends would have ended right there.

After the "jink" which was radical enough to cause JP to lock up his wheels he kept on it hard to try and squeeze by Mark on the inside. He sure as heck didn't expect Mark to move to the left which he clearly did but still he put himself in tough position.

I might have jinked but likely would not have tried to squeeze by because of the wall.

I was too far back to see clearly what happened in real time but the video seems fairly clear.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Johninrsf
Racer

Originally Posted by 4 Kurves
I disagree that he wasn't trying to make a pass - he looked full on throttle to me trying to get by Mark. The first part was avoidance for sure although if JP had been a foot forward both of their weekends would have ended right there.

After the "jink" which was radical enough to cause JP to lock up his wheels he kept on it hard to try and squeeze by Mark on the inside. He sure as heck didn't expect Mark to move to the left which he clearly did but still he put himself in tough position.

I might have jinked but likely would not have tried to squeeze by because of the wall.

I was too far back to see clearly what happened in real time but the video seems fairly clear.

I agree with all your points, Kevin.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:55 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by R4][N_M4l{3R
IMO the other cars took a risky passing opportunity when he slowed and a racing incident occured. Punishment there is kind of foolish.
Exactly. It's funny to read posts in the thread that are total contradictions of themselves.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:40 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I think we all agree that it all happened pretty quickly. But, aside from the avoidance, I would never try a pass on the inside of turn 1, as this is result, if you dont KNOW for sure you can make it. Mark didnt do anything violent, he just followed the natural line. You have to think about the general rules of 13/13 classes. you dont own the right of a turn unless you are a long side with you nose up to the other car's door. if you are not there at turn in. (call this turn-in point at start finish for turn 1) all bets are off and you are on your own. Personally, I would have backed out along side to see what he was going to do and then waited for the opening after the wall ended. Dont worry, there has been a lot of wrecks there for that same reason, so that car is not alone.

mk
Old 08-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

At least he still kicked their collective asses. DQ/13-13, whatever he was still the fastest car/driver out there.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:55 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

By a long shot too!
Pretty interesting that a 21 year old car with a stroker engine can be that fast!

mk

Originally Posted by Abby
At least he still kicked their collective asses. DQ/13-13, whatever he was still the fastest car/driver out there.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:21 AM
Johninrsf
Racer

Originally Posted by mark kibort
By a long shot too!
Pretty interesting that a 21 year old car with a stroker engine can be that fast!

mk
Mark A. is a terrific driver and one of my favorites to race with in POC, but c'mon, that is a tube frame all aluminum race car --let's not make it sound like a 21 yr. old modifed street 928! Laguna Seca is the perfect track for that car. Turn #11 is the slowest final turn leading to a front straight that we run and he has monster torque with that V8 that eats up the front straight unlike any other (normally aspirated) car in POC, IMO. At all other tracks, especially those with fast final turns leading to the front straight (e.g. Willow Springs) the 928 loses the advantage the torque provides.

P.S. I ran a 32 yr. old 911 less than 1/2 second off Mark's best lap pace. Oh yeah, it's slightly modified also.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:02 AM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Mark A.'s 928 is not a "tube frame all aluminum race car." IIRC, it is a modfied street 928 that has a steel tub, front end, hatch, and roof. The aluminum bits include the front fenders, hood and doors which all 928s have. It has gone through an extensive diet and has a full cage with stiffening tubes extended into the front.

Constantine

Originally Posted by Johninrsf
Mark A. is a terrific driver and one of my favorites to race with in POC, but c'mon, that is a tube frame all aluminum race car --let's not make it sound like a 21 yr. old modifed street 928! Laguna Seca is the perfect track for that car.

Quick Reply: POC Race at Laguna Seca. Anderson wins and then DQ'ed for a misshift? YES- VIDEO!!!!