Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunderbolt With Schattenbaum...What a Blast!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 10:37 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thunderbolt With Schattenbaum...What a Blast!

First, a BIG thank you to the organizers at Schattenbaum for a great 2 days at Thunderbolt.

Second, I apologize for not posting any videos or times...but I'm sure others will.

The track is fast and technical. Passing possible almost everywhere except the mini esses before the front straight. In the complex of turns called the Octopus...there are no standard lines. Each driver and car has to figure out what feels best. Track has plenty of runoff room.

First day was spent just learning the track. Second day, especially the 3rd and 4th sessions were a blast! Two twin turbos, 3 GT3's and moi...nose-to-tail for the entire session at a pretty darned good pace. The grand finale was the last session (Red/Black combined) when yours truly decided to checkout the sandy soil runoffs. Chasing one of the faster Red run group drivers for a couple of laps, I thought I'd finally caught him in T1 to earn a pass. Late braked and almost on his bumper going into the turn I lifted (I guess had to) and voila...tail steps out, over correct, a tank slapper and before I know car and moi are sitting blind in a mushroom cloud of dust. Swear it must have been a few minutes before the dust literally settled so I could see. No harm, no foul. Now I'm learning how to clean and detail a car.

Thanks to all the wonderful people I met and all the great guys I ran with.

Cheers!
Old 08-20-2008, 10:56 AM
smankow
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't run any data (traqmate memory was full), but I did take some video.

here is day 1 - http://www.vimeo.com/1557117

here is day 2 - http://www.vimeo.com/1562895

I agree with Bobby C. It was a fun event and the octopus will give us fits for awhile, especially the hard right decreasing radius turn.

Only downside is the dust in the paddock. Grass will grow there eventually.

Steve
Old 08-20-2008, 11:48 AM
redcar1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great Video!

Thanks for posting. I'm looking forward to running there next wknd; and I'm anxious to get a jump start on what appears to be a very tricky T7 to T11 section.

I would love to see some track notes, if anyone has them.

Mark
Old 08-20-2008, 12:36 PM
smankow
Pro

Originally Posted by BobbyC
Now I'm learning how to clean and detail a car.

Thanks to all the wonderful people I met and all the great guys I ran with.

Cheers!
Bobby, you're detailing it yourself? Alex couldn't spare his detail team for the next week or two to get the car clean? The RS doesn't look good in that shade of brown.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

With Thunderbolt up and running, no reason to go to Summit until they do a real repaving job.

Thunderbolt got better after every session and I agree with Bobby completely, the Octopus has so many possible lines, it will take a while to get it all sorted out. Sorry about your dusty GT3-RS, but if you have to clean and detail your car anyway, my green student has a 997 GT3 that also can use your detailing services. He learned about drop throttle oversteer in the octopus, and we went agricultural. Guess when I initially instructed him, "don't lift in the corners" it didn't sink in.
It was also nice to meet some more of my RL friends and especially those from Potomac region.

Love the two two tracks, hate the dust and dirt.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:43 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smankow
Bobby, you're detailing it yourself? Alex couldn't spare his detail team for the next week or two to get the car clean? The RS doesn't look good in that shade of brown.
Don't worry she will be clean as a new car right away.

That said the track is wonderful, some wonderful fast turns with a few technical ones also. It has so many great passing zones that even the lower run groups lost their trains by day 2. You do need a bit of faith in some corners as they are blind but tons of runoff room everywhere so just bring a little shopvac with ya
Old 08-20-2008, 02:03 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
It was also nice to meet some more of my RL friends and especially those from Potomac region.

Love the two two tracks, hate the dust and dirt.
It was great meeting you, Rick, and hope to see you again soon. Potomac does still have spots open at VIR, Sept 5-7, if you care to make a little longer trip. That's always a great event.

Hopefully the dust and dirt at NJMP will get fixed as the construction efforts wind down. They may take care of that long before the potholes get fixed at Summit Point!

Old 08-20-2008, 03:22 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

I was told that one of the Summit Flaggers used to be with ZZ Topp/any truth to that?
He's the guy around T9 or so.
Rick
Old 08-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
I was told that one of the Summit Flaggers used to be with ZZ Topp/any truth to that?
He's the guy around T9 or so.
Rick
He's not that talented... but he does have a beard that goes halfway down his chest! He also never waves back when you wave to him on the cool down lap.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:28 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 94 Posts

+1 thanks to Schattenbaum for a great event. They always do, but on a new track they really shined.

+1 on Thunderbolt! Really fun track that has some really cool lines. The octopus really grew on me as the event went on.

And thanks to Alex for taking me for a ride on the last run that was an absolute blast! Anyone who wants to know why he is so fast in that car - well... it ain't the car..
Old 08-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

Track Notes, Disclaimer: I'm an old SCCA racer recently back on track running a stock 2.7 Cayman with street tires. Turns 1,2 and 3 are pretty much standard turns. I found an early apex on 2 better. There is plenty of run-out available. 3 is a tap and go for me, probably flat out for a prepared car, again I favored a slightly early apex. At 4 you can make a choice remembering that 5 is a left hand turn leading onto a straight. I used a late apex tried to stay to the right side of the track to set up for 5. Some apexed a little earlier and tracked out to the left side of the track and then moved over to the right side. I'm not sure which is faster but if racing I would do the latter to protect the inside. Not sure about turn numbering here but 6 is a standard RH. Track out and set up for RH at the bottom of the hill. I used slightly late apex here, tracked out and stayed out, did not apex the bowl. The next turn is a very sharp decreasing radius turn. Don't turn in early. I tried to stay as far right as I could exiting the hard right and then tried to stay about mid track through the 180 until I felt it was time to turn in for the apex, maybe 2/3rds around. Exiting you have two standard "S" turns. Flat here. Approaching the final turn, you want to be as far left as you can. The fastest line is probably 4 wheels over the curbing but this could unsetttle the car. I ran 2 wheels over, probably 1/2car width.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:54 PM
davidf1
Intermediate

Anyone who has Lime Rock and Watkins Glen as their standard tracks ( hint, hint my follow CVRer's) needs to add Thunderbolt to the list. As Bobby said thanks to Schattenbaum for a great event. We all learned the track, the schedule and how to avoid the dust. The track grows on you. There is the track and the Octopus. It's tough as most of us aren't used to that much turning and turning and turning. It makes you work and think about your line. It's humbling to see someone going faster than you in the slowest part of the track. I want to go back.

I heard times of 1:35-1:40 for Red / Black for those that keep track of those things. For most of us we spent two days discussing lines and comparing notes. It was fun and different.

John - Let me know how clean your car gets now that you have my detailing trick
Dan - Thanks for letting me follow you for a session. It really helped
Rick - Thanks for organizing a great dinner

Bobby - it was great to run with you. Sorry I didn't get a picture of your "Showcar". I really enjoyed my time on the track with you and if you need help cleaning the dust let me know but Dan knows a thing or two about removing dust...
Old 08-21-2008, 01:10 AM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Steve,

Nice vids. Thanks.

Do you know who was driving that 80's vintage silver Carrera?

Richard
Old 08-21-2008, 08:22 AM
smankow
Pro

Originally Posted by richard glickel
Steve,

Nice vids. Thanks.

Do you know who was driving that 80's vintage silver Carrera?

Richard
the car that I'm following in the first video? that's a friend of mine, Graham. His car is an '89 Carrera. He really hustles that car around the track.

We were taking some video for our CI since RTR isn't here until late September. The flagger at T3 kept showing him the blue flag, so I had to back off a bit. After a few laps, I'd flash lights and he'd give a pass. It worked pretty well.

In the 2nd video, he was running out of gas when I caught up to him.

Steve
Old 08-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Steve

Even though I was there for two days, I really enjoyed your videos. I can't wait to go back there.

Quick Reply: Thunderbolt With Schattenbaum...What a Blast!