Sponsored by:

Rebound Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 10:46 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Earn it? He just throws it out there and you guys buy into it!
No, I've known him for years.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:52 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by amondc
Oh yeah how should I set the rebound in my boxster? The rear end doesnt seem to rotate enough..?
It depends on what you mean by "not rotating enough". Does it feel tight through the entire turn? If so, you need a more overall adjustment like tightening the rear swaybar, or stiffer rear springs. If it feels good mid-corner and on corner exit, then tightening the rear rebound will momentarily loosen up the back end when you turn it into the corner.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:03 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 830 Posts

I was thinking less brakes but maybe just driving faster will work...

I am really suprised that smart *** VR didnt come back with "Get rid of the girls car and drive a real one"
Nah...dude, we are gonna have fun in that low HP car, believe me! And Larry is spot-on regarding over braking. Heck, I still catch myself doing it occasionally into Rattlesnake.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:14 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
All true in a vacuum. However, also realize that compression settings affect how quickly the rear of the car squats under acceleration, and how the front dives under braking. Rear rebound affects how quickly the front loads up under hard braking, which is also affected by front compression. See? So they are all interrelated.

Viking, that one flower...mama mia!!!
True, but my Koni sports have only rebound adjustments. So nothing I can do about compression.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M758
True, but my Koni sports have only rebound adjustments. So nothing I can do about compression.
Ah...OK. I used to have those on my M3 as well.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:23 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

That's why I gave up on them 25 years ago. At that time, the rebound adjustment was touted as being an means to compensate for "shock wear", not specifically as a performance enhancement.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:44 AM
M758
Race Director

That's why I gave up on them 25 years ago. At that time, the rebound adjustment was touted as being an means to compensate for "shock wear", not specifically as a performance enhancement.
944 spec rules allow only the Koni Sports. This keeps costs down. Good for an entry level class like ours. I have been racing this car for 6 year and driving it on the track for 8. Never really played around with adjustments other that that one time. Right now I am thinking about tweaking things where I can. Maybe I can gain a few tenths. As it stands I can adjust sway bars and rebound fairly easily. I can also adjust aligment and ride heights. I think I have it well dialed in, but knowing what rebound could do can be helpfull as it takes seconds to adjust the fronts and 20-30 mintues to do the rear since I need to pull the shocks to do it. Slower than a sway bar adjustment, but quciker than an alignment change.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Gotcha. Any adjustment is better than none at all.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

944 spec rules allow only the Koni Sports. This keeps costs down. Good for an entry level class like ours. I have been racing this car for 6 year and driving it on the track for 8. Never really played around with adjustments other that that one time. Right now I am thinking about tweaking things where I can. Maybe I can gain a few tenths. As it stands I can adjust sway bars and rebound fairly easily. I can also adjust aligment and ride heights. I think I have it well dialed in, but knowing what rebound could do can be helpfull as it takes seconds to adjust the fronts and 20-30 mintues to do the rear since I need to pull the shocks to do it. Slower than a sway bar adjustment, but quciker than an alignment change.
Can you not use the Konis in the rear that have the top adjustment?
Old 08-20-2008, 12:33 PM
M758
Race Director

Can you not use the Konis in the rear that have the top adjustment?
No,
Rules only allow for 2 part numbers. One for early steel trailing arms and the other for aluminum trailing arms. Neither have external adjustments.

So something is better than nothing as Larry said. That is one reason we allow adjustable swaybars. These are the most adjustable part of the car at the track and allow some ability to dail in the car for needs that day. Some spec classes like to lock down every last detail, but I think it better to have some adjustment range on things since not everyone is going to want to have their car's balance just like everyone else. Sways are an easy way to allow for that. As for the Koni's there are pretty common off the shelf parts at reasonable price. They rebound adjustment is nice to have, but not a requirement for the class. In fact too many adjustments in an entry level class like ours will just lead to a infinite number of set-up issues and more gap between the newer guys and more experienced ones. As some else stated many adjusments often means more wrong settings.

For the most part 944 spec cars can be built following a list of parts and basic alignment setting that we share. This gets the cars "in the ball park" and then leave enough room for drivers to tweak things to their liking and to tweak as their skill level improves.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:55 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on what you mean by "not rotating enough". Does it feel tight through the entire turn? If so, you need a more overall adjustment like tightening the rear swaybar, or stiffer rear springs. If it feels good mid-corner and on corner exit, then tightening the rear rebound will momentarily loosen up the back end when you turn it into the corner.
Its mainly on turn in but since its Spec Boxster we can change out springs and have I have shocks full stiff because we are running the PSS9's with stiffer springs. I will move the rear bar 1 hole stiff and see what that does. I think the biggest problem is my driving style. I got real lazy driving the cup car and now have to re-learn my good habits from the 914 days and actually drive the car.

Thanks for the input Larry. I wil bug Dave at the next DE when I go play and break in the new motor..hope nobodys notices the X51 boxster motor I put in.

Chris
Old 08-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I think the biggest problem is my driving style. I got real lazy driving the cup car and now have to re-learn my good habits from the 914 days and actually drive the car.

Thanks for the input Larry. I wil bug Dave at the next DE when I go play and break in the new motor..
Dude. Must you wait that long?
Old 08-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastviking
No, I've known him for years.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahooooooooooooooole...............
Old 08-20-2008, 06:39 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude. Must you wait that long?
Yeah unfortunatly my employees are a bunch of moron's and like to get fired so I have to stay here and baby sit.....
Old 08-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Yeah unfortunatly my employees are a bunch of moron's and like to get fired so I have to stay here and baby sit.....
I am sorry to hear that. What a pain.

FYI....my boyz and I have major skillz in "employee relations". You should consider outsourcing all these pesky tasks...

Quick Reply: Rebound Adjustment