Race car drivers are not athletes

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 04:00 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Perfect illustration of MTosi's quote

Originally Posted by MTosi
"Don't argue with idiots. They will only drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience."
One idiot replied about NASCAR meaning

Non
Athletic
Sport
Centered
Around
Rednecks
To which I replied about the trainig required of today's top level drivers to which he replied

the NASCAR reference was strictly a play on words ... an appropriate one, I might add, that properly describes, at least in terms of true "sport" that they are NOT athletes ...because it does not require any athleticism to drive a car!
a chess player could train on weights, flexibility and cardio too ... but it doesn't make them an athlete

it's about THE EQUIPMENT
it is NOT a SPORT in terms of ATHLETICS ...
it is a motor sport

the competitors are SITTING ON THEIR ASSE$
I started to reply with MTosi's quote and some other stuff but just said "Nevermind, you have no idea what you are talking about"
Old 08-13-2008, 04:05 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How's the quote go.....

"The primary skill must be of a physical nature. That might come in the form of strength, speed or endurance"

And there was me thinking that there was a mental element to sports.... must be wrong and it is all physical
Old 08-13-2008, 04:33 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Give him Hemingway's line:

Mountain Climbing, Bull Fighting and Automobile Racing are the only true sports. The rest are just games.

Then what about golfers, Fred?

A baseball hitter has to hit a darting object moving at 95 mph while 40,000 are screaming.

A golfer needs complete quiet in order to hit a slightly smaller stationary object.

(See you in a couple of weeks...)
See you soon Mike! I will get there late Friday, so i will see you on the track for the first practice session
Old 08-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Ask him if he considers sex a sport.....
Old 08-13-2008, 05:15 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Ask him if he considers sex a sport.....
Ahhh one of my favorite intramural activities in college, thankfully the officiating was kept to a minimum
Old 08-13-2008, 05:30 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jsabatini
To which I replied about the trainig required of today's top level drivers to which he replied

the NASCAR reference was strictly a play on words ... an appropriate one, I might add, that properly describes, at least in terms of true "sport" that they are NOT athletes ...because it does not require any athleticism to drive a car!
a chess player could train on weights, flexibility and cardio too ... but it doesn't make them an athlete
Using his chess example, let's continue that. Take a 90 year old chess master who is in poor physical condition, a man who is about 300 lbs overweight and anyone he considers a true athlete - but none with any racing experience.

Put all three in a NASCAR car for 500 miles in race conditions and see how they fare. I suspect the old man will tire out, the overweight person will die of heart attack and his 'athlete' will survive.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You could show him this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/6980337.stm

or

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...dered-athletes

or

http://blogs.chron.com/downshift/arc...ce_driver.html

or

http://www.catchfence.com/html/2002/stooge042902.html

I could post more, but you get the idea
Old 08-13-2008, 06:07 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

race drivers have coaches; but then again so does football, golfer, baseball, basketball, hockey, tennis, rugby, soccer, swimmers, gymnastics, mountainbikers, volleyball players.
Which is not a sport in this short list.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:17 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Maybe for fun you could through this at them; The US Gov't (not that they are experts) has legally defined Auto Racing as a sport for the purposes of import classifaction, from a recent ruling:

While the term "sport" is not defined in the tariff, in HQ 089849, dated August 16, 1991, CBP noted that common dictionaries defined the term "sport" as "an activity requiring more or less vigorous bodily exertion and carried on according to some traditional form or set of rules, whether outdoors, as football, hunting, golf, racing, etc., or indoors, as basketball, bowling, squash, etc." In Newman Importing Company, Inc. v. United States, 415 F. Supp. 375, 76 Cust. Ct. 143, Cust. Dec. 4648 (1976), in finding backpacking to be a sport, the court determined that the term "sport" is not solely defined in terms of competitiveness, but also arises from the development and pursuit of a variety of skills. In this respect, in HQ 957848, dated August 10, 1995, CBP found hunting, fishing, canoeing, archery and similar outdoor activities to fall within the purview of "sport." The American College Dictionary (1970) defines the term "sport" as "a pastime pursued in the open air or having an athletic character." Likewise, Webster's New Dictionary of the English Language (2001) defines "sport" as:

1: a source of diversion: PASTIME
2: physical activity engaged in for pleasure.

The term "sport" appears to also encompass activities in which individuals engage professionally (i.e., professional sports).

In HQ 964901, dated January 31, 2002, CBP defined the term "sport" according to The Random House Dictionary of the English Language, the Unabridged Edition (1983), as:

an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing hunting, fishing, etc.
2. a particular form of this, esp. in the out of doors.

In HQ 965692, dated September 18, 2002, we recognized that motorsports racing is a sporting activity for purposes of tariff classification and noted that pit-crew members are an integral component of the sport.

Of course they didn't say the driver is "sporty".....
Old 08-13-2008, 06:56 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I think it would be more correct to say that SOME race car drivers are not althletes in the same way that some baseball players or golfers are not athletes. On the other hand, pro drivers tend to be very fit indeed. Handling the heat for a 2 hour stint requires a high degree of fitness. Check out the F1 guys, they are very fit and all have personal trainers to keep them that way. Pulling 4 Gs for the duration of a race while maintaining full concentration demands it not to mention the strength it takes to apply the brakes.

Years ago Road and Track conducted a fitness test. They gathered pro athletes from football, baseball, basketball etc. and a couple of pro race drivers. They went through a battery of tests and it was a race driver, Lance Reventlow I think who won overall.

best,
Old 08-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Exactly. Which racers? Show me an F1 driver that isn't an incredible athlete. But there are some NASCAR boys who don't look too fit. I'll tell you what though, I know with 100% certainty that I couldn't do what they do for as long as they do it in that heat. Every sport has its share of athletes and non-athletes. Also, looks can be deceiving. You look at some baseball players and would think they are not great athletes because they carry a lot of weight like a David Ortiz, but they are incredible athletes at the top of the sport. Their bodies are built to suit their sport.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:11 PM
H2OJazz
Rennlist Member

Well, howza about synchronized swimming? Even worse, "rhythmic" gymnastics, you know the one with he hula hoop and a stick with a ribbon.

Not sports, not athletes. merely exhibitions.

Driving a car at 200+ for any extended period of time, reflexes, decision-making. Methinks so.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

H20 - Those gals in rhythmic gymnastics look very fit to me!
Old 08-14-2008, 09:52 AM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks, that is just what I needed, not that it will change the idiots mind.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:20 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 1,993 Posts

Have those people get into the very basic or base of motorsports, a kart, and see if they could "compete" for just 30 minutes and then get their opinion afterwards.

Oh, it can't be one of these indoor places. A real outdoor track, with full suit, helmet, gloves, neck gear and 100 degree weather. Perhaps that perspective would change.

Quick Reply: Race car drivers are not athletes