When is WGI going to fix turn 11!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JClark
^^ Agreed. Safe for the car and safe for the driver isnt always the same thing.

RE: VIR - That actually makes me nervous because the ground seems to fall away from the track, so if you go off in the grass when it's raining you arent going to stop until you hit the trees!
We have had to pull cars out of the trees off track coming down the Roller Coaster in the past, with one ending up high centered on a stump! They didn't look good either.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone remember way back when armco was added to many tracks in order to keep the drivers safe?

I have a friend who went off at T-8 at WG a few years ago, "almost" saved it but went straight into the inside wall.....about 10 feet past the end of the tire wall. He is learning to deal with the pins, screws and plates in his feet fairly well now. He sure would have liked to hit the tire wall.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:36 PM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just watched the videos again for the second time and I realized this isn't even worth arguing, the impact of the two 3400lb Cup cars sent them both 2 feet in the air. Clearly people haven't watched all four videos in their entirety, because if you don't see a glaringly obvious and dangerous problem that needs to be fixed you either are oblivious or must be a tough guy who eats nails for breakfast....

edit: added some onboard of the Bimmerworld incident, if this doesn't clearly illustrate the problem I don't know what will (fast forward to half way)

Old 08-12-2008, 09:27 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I forgot about that one, too. But I hear that tickets sales went up right after that hit youtube.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:42 AM
TREMPER
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Both the Kendall car and the McDuffie cars had mechanical failures at the end of the back straight which caused them to leave the racing surface...wheels came off the cars. Not a track problem other than it happened at the fastest part of the track. The "inner" loop is actually more dangerous for DE events for you have to turn the car 5 times to enter Turn 5 rather than once before inner loop installation. ...Ruined one of the best passings zones at WGI...
Pete
Old 08-13-2008, 09:55 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=RedlineMan;5696988]Ahem...
The fact is that WGI is a pretty safe track BECAUSE of the Armco being where it is. Of course, it does tear up a lot of sheetmetal, but there are very few places where you stand to hit the guardrails at anywhere approaching a perpendicular angle. You most likely will pinball along, which looks terrible but is actually safe.

I wonder if Cevert or Koinigg would agree with that....
Old 08-13-2008, 10:14 AM
JClark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This just in: Racing's dangerous!

Originally Posted by TREMPER
Both the Kendall car and the McDuffie cars had mechanical failures at the end of the back straight which caused them to leave the racing surface...wheels came off the cars. Not a track problem other than it happened at the fastest part of the track. The "inner" loop is actually more dangerous for DE events for you have to turn the car 5 times to enter Turn 5 rather than once before inner loop installation. ...Ruined one of the best passings zones at WGI...
Pete
...But it created THE best passing zone right before it. Braking for the inner loop is a better passing zone than the old back straight to turn 5 (no inner loop) ever was since you have to lose another 20+mph. More braking = easier to pass.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no one solution that works for all. Armco works best on slab-sided racecars like sports cars, DPs and sedans. It is a less than desirable situation for formula cars.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:32 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gums
I wonder if Cevert or Koinigg would agree with that....
I imagine if you asked them they would not be overly impressed.

Quick Reply: When is WGI going to fix turn 11!!!!!!!