Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is WGI going to fix turn 11!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 05:59 PM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When is WGI going to fix turn 11!!!!!!!

For those of you who didn't watch the cup race.....

(after the initial view skip to around two minutes, and look how hard it is at 2:35)

Wait haven't I seen this show before?????

ohhhh yeah.....

(sorry seth)

another view of the same crash (fast forward to half way)

and another different one....

ohh wait I almost forgot one more....

I'm the last person to complain about runout and saftey measures at a track. However it seems to me the Glen is intent on taking out the field with that stupid tire wall at turn 11. It just sucks cars right into it and spits them out right into the hard charging field. They don't even need runout there or anything new (however it would be nice), just to get rid off that stupid tire wall and have something more predictable like the armco around the rest of the track.

Last edited by MTosi; 08-12-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

I was sitting in my car, on the grid, as the 3rd wreck above (the SM's) happened, right over my right shoulder. Sounded like somebody was dropping garbage cans full of bowling *****. The red SM is a good friend of mine.

The "belted" tire wall (tires with a wrapping of conveyor-belt belt) will just grab a car and turn it hard-left into the wall...and "the hits just keep on coming".

The armco won't grab a car...it's just a "glancing" blow. The old foam blocks that were then installed to cover the armco wouldn't grab a car...although I've seen the foam blocks knocked all the way over into pit lane (looked like a snow-storm)...Soupy Campbell got the "distance & height" award, circa 2004 or 2005.

IMO, the belted wall is a major contributor to 3 MAJOR wrecks in 2 years...somebody is going to get killed there if it isn't changed.

But...ISC (WGI's owner) won't do anything about it, unless the NASCAR guys start to bitch. Let's hope they bitch.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not even sure a SAFER barrier system would help much there, unless you add some more runoff area prior to the barrier, but that means $ and fewer seats.....not likely.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:16 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, I am so pissed about that stupid tire wall, and I was thinking exactly this after watching the Speed
Report last night. I would've called Despain to air it, but I was watching late on TiVo. And I remembered that Spec Miata wreck which was downright scary, especially for us Club Racers.
I guess it's gonna take a fatality for them to think about it.
And they charge you to fix their stinking "safety barrier"!
Old 08-11-2008, 10:10 PM
MTosi
User

Yeah, the biggest problem is the belt not necessarily the proximity of the wall. If it were just a solid wall the cars would just slide along it side ways if that were the direction of impact or bounce off in a more predictable manner if the angle were closer to 90 degrees. Until that belt was there I never remember them having any incidents similar to that.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:06 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MTosi
Yeah, the biggest problem is the belt not necessarily the proximity of the wall. If it were just a solid wall the cars would just slide along it side ways if that were the direction of impact or bounce off in a more predictable manner if the angle were closer to 90 degrees. Until that belt was there I never remember them having any incidents similar to that.
Although that is true, would it be so awful to make a proper escape area so racers don't have to wreck their cars there? It's the last turn before s/f, there's going to be racing in there!
Old 08-11-2008, 11:29 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only way it will change is if NASCAR or IRL demands it.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:42 PM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sleder
...or if someone is killed resulting in a major lawsuit. Maybe some legal hotshot like John Edwards should start a class action lawsuit to divert attention from his social activities.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:19 AM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Remove the tires, but don't change the wall. Drover's who go a little wide just get a glancing blow, but won't be spun around. Nothing will make it safe for folks completely out of control or unwilling to drive within the limits of themselves and their machinery.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:48 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm the last person to complain about runout and saftey measures at a track. However it seems to me the Glen is intent on taking out the field with that stupid tire wall at turn 11. It just sucks cars right into it and spits them out right into the hard charging field. They don't even need runout there or anything new (however it would be nice), just to get rid off that stupid tire wall and have something more predictable like the armco around the rest of the track.[/QUOTE]

Turn 11 is a maintain your position or with an incredible run you may improve, but it is not a corner that rewards high entry speed and you need to recognize early that you are off line. What I see are guys that are obviously too hot or off line and make no adjustments, Now that's poor judgement! You can't win in turn one and definitely not in 11. The corner's fine there is little margin for error. That's W Glen
Old 08-12-2008, 02:22 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

"fix" turn 11? ....

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
You can't win in turn one and definitely not in 11. The corner's fine there is little margin for error.
^ more like what he said
Old 08-12-2008, 09:04 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by sleder
hmmm, SCCA also has a lot of sway... if they don't certify a track, no insurance.

-maybe try talking to their local safety steward? then national.

-my question is if you pull the tires, & the armco is damaged, how long to fix that? might take several hours, no? and how likely it will be damaged...
Old 08-12-2008, 09:21 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I'm not sure if just remowing the tires is the right way to go. The way those two NASCAR guys plowed into it (especially the left car), it could've been pretty bad wreck if there was no cushion.
Besides, those two idiot were banging each other already before so I'd put a lot of blame on them, not only on the tire wall.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:24 AM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
Turn 11 is a maintain your position or with an incredible run you may improve, but it is not a corner that rewards high entry speed and you need to recognize early that you are off line. What I see are guys that are obviously too hot or off line and make no adjustments, Now that's poor judgement! You can't win in turn one and definitely not in 11. The corner's fine there is little margin for error. That's W Glen
Originally Posted by dmoffitt
"fix" turn 11? ....

^ more like what he said
Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Well, I'm not sure if just remowing the tires is the right way to go. The way those two NASCAR guys plowed into it (especially the left car), it could've been pretty bad wreck if there was no cushion.
Besides, those two idiot were banging each other already before so I'd put a lot of blame on them, not only on the tire wall.
Just incase no one had noticed from all my previous posts I am the last one to complain about track saftey and especially the Glen. I have no problem with the corner, the wall, or the lack of runout. If you crash, generally I feel the drivers directly involved are at fault. However I do have a problem with something that is taking out not just a few drivers but a large chunk of the field, including drivers who are driving conservatively and not putting anyone at risk. What is causing the problem is that foolish rubber band or whatever it is around those tires. Those aren't the only 4 crashes I've seen there, I just found the most obvious 4 I could find. It literally sucks cars in and spits the out across the track right into the line of traffic. They realy hadn't had very many incidents on that corner until they put that there. If a car ran wide or misjudged by a little bit (like James Clay in the WC one), they would simply have a side to side impact with the wall, have some minor damage on the side of their car and continue..... but instead of just riding along the wall, they get sucked in, it creates an impact, then they get sent out into the middle of hard charging speed with no forward motion to dissipate the impact, or time for other drivers to react.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
hmmm, SCCA also has a lot of sway... if they don't certify a track, no insurance.

-maybe try talking to their local safety steward? then national.

Wrong-O. SCCA has absolutely NO "sway" at WGI.

Quick Reply: When is WGI going to fix turn 11!!!!!!!