Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BeaveRun DE? Or Mid-Ohio? Getting started?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 11:06 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
Just got back from the Mid-O drop off...pretty crowded already! Sorry to hear you won't be there John...NASA doesn't have the helmet rule ya know...
Wow, crowded already? I am going to MO in the am with NASA, Should be DRY know we know John is not coming. See you in the AM.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:37 PM
Joe L
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
Hey now!
I have to wear a helmet to keep you guys from being distracted by my shockingly hideous looks. It's in the PCA rule book:

3. John Haas must wear a helmet with dark shield certified in accordance with one of the following standards: SNELL SA2000, SNELL SA2005, FIA 8860-2004, SFI 31.1A, SFI 31.2A, or BS6658-85 type A/FR due to his horrific medusa-esque appearance.

Gregg, have fun this weekend. Wouldn't you know that my motor breaks and the rain stops. NASA this weekend would have been my first event this year without rain.
John - fixed it for ya

Matt - I used to own a 1996 C4S that I drove at DEs for a couple of years. It was completely stock (street tires as well) and an absolute blast to drive! The big reds with stock pads provide plenty of stopping power, however, as you get faster and begin to brake harder, you will need to have a way to bleed brakes at the track. Other tools to start would be a tire gauge (check pressures) and and a torque wrench (check lugs).

Coincidentally, my first ever DE was at BeaveRun - it was fun, but like many have said - easy to learn and hard on tires (personally, i have never been back there to drive). Also, my second ever DE was Mid Ohio - what to say - just better in most every repect...

Either way, just go out and have fun...
Old 08-15-2008, 11:58 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Joe L, Thanks. What the heck is that in your avatar?
Old 08-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Joe L
Instructor

Originally Posted by John H
Joe L, Thanks. What the heck is that in your avatar?
That is my fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUjbZrj2M0Y
Old 08-15-2008, 05:41 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Mid-OH or BEAV

Prefer Mid-OH although if you are just starting out, Beaverun is a very good course for beginners - short and easy to learn. Allegheny Region PCA is an excellent region for your first DE. I did my first few years of DEs with them. Seat time is the key. If you are looking for a new helmet, don't forget we are a Rennlist sponsor and offer a discount (and we are in the Pittsburgh area). Have fun and be safe.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 08-15-2008, 09:38 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Frank, stop over and say Howdy...look for the gold "MCF" 944 and "Alcohol Killer" 944.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:52 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Matt - I am the event chair for the September Mid Ohio DE with ARPCA. Frankly, you can't go wrong with either track as a first timer. Beaverun is great because you can actually get alot of laps and learn the whole track in a weekend and its got one of everything. It is also a very safe track...run-off area galor! Mid O is...well...Mid O, best technical track in the country IMHO.

PM me for details or with any questions.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:20 AM
Joe L
Instructor

One other plus for making BeaveRun your first DE - it is very close to your home, so if you forget/need something it makes it easier to just go and get it. Not that you would likely need to, but less stress 'just in case'...
Old 08-20-2008, 10:12 PM
htron435
Advanced

Mid Ohio. +10 on the 'beaverun is boring' subject -- three days there & I don't care to go back (unless of course it's free ). I too will be there with ARPCA.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:18 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bgiere
Frank, stop over and say Howdy...look for the gold "MCF" 944 and "Alcohol Killer" 944.
Brant, I missed ya as i just read the post. I really enjoyed NASA, my first DE with them, I only did Friday, just as a tester. They put me in group 2 I should have been in 3, but they were short instructors to sign me off. I liked the format however.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:47 PM
Smiles
Pro

I just got back from tech inspection.

Can anyone recommend a good starting tire pressure for BeaveRun? Bridgestone Potenza S02 N3, if it matters.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: BeaveRun DE? Or Mid-Ohio? Getting started?