Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BeaveRun DE? Or Mid-Ohio? Getting started?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BeaveRun DE? Or Mid-Ohio? Getting started?

Hi, all.

I bought a 1996 C4S in June and would like to take it on the track before the end of the season.

If there's any space available, I'd like to get to the August 23 and 24 event at BeaveRun. Has anyone been there before?

I'd also like to get to Mid-Ohio for the DE there on September 27 and 28. I did a few days there at Skip Barber, but it was several years ago. It's a great, professional racecourse that I (kinda) remember, and would like to see what it would be like in a 993.

If you have any advice for either course, or how to prepare for a DE, or any other thoughts, I would certainly appreciate them

Thanks!

Matt
Old 08-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

race pads, bleed brakes, lots of tread on your tires, helmet, sign up!
Old 08-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Smiles
Pro

Cool. I've got Big Red Brakes, which were just bled, and new tires.
I do need a Snell 2000 helmet, though. Are open face helmets usually OK?
Old 08-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Matt, good to hear that you are going to track your new car. Get it track inspected. There are several very capable indy shops in Pgh as well as the 2 dealers. PM me if you want details. New tires are not great for a track event, especially at the Beav, which is hard on tires.

Yes, you can use an open face helmet but they are not as safe as a closed face. I have been hit in the shield/glasses several times by debris coming into the car.

Contact the registrars for the events that you mention. I believe that there are spaces available in both. Mid Ohio is the nicer facility with a longer and more challenging track but the Beav is fine and it is very close. There is a good article about prepping for a DE event, if I can find it I will post it. You are about to tread on a very slippery slope Have fun!
Old 08-11-2008, 05:02 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Get a Snell 2005. I would buy a full face too. I run one with the shield up most of the time but it is nice to have when crap starts flying in the window and/or it is cold outside.

I would do the first few DE's on stock pads. The race pads are not so good unless you really use them and get them hot. In the first few DE's, you probably won't use them enough to get a chance to get them hot enough to work right/consistent. They suck when they are cold.

I'd say just get a new helmet, have a good shop do an inspection and go have fun.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:14 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt;
Either track will work - I personally find Beaverun boring, and spend most of my time at Mid-Ohio (but then, it's 1 hr from my garage to paddock).
Do a search - lots of very good threads on here about "1st DEs" and what to plan for/ expect. As in "expect to be hooked."
Old 08-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree, when I lived in Pittsburgh, I would rather drive to Mid-Ohio. Beaverun is a very easy track to learn very quickly because it is not very technical at all. Once you master the blind uphill right hander, there is not much else to do.

You can spend the rest of your life learning new things at Mid-Ohio. I have about 20-25 days there and am still learning.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:43 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

1+ Mid Ohio. I'll be at that event. ARPCA is a fun group to run with.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

I'll be at Mid Ohio with Allegheny Region at the end of September in a white SC with blue Fuchs. Feel free to come by and say Hi.

I also have a DE checklist in a Word file that I go through before each event. If you're interested shoot me a PM with your email address.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Matt,
I would not drive the BEAV again if Haas was paying. Mid Ohio is a great course and I feel Putnam Park is the safest by a wide margin.
Double check your brake lines and belts. Drill out your air box also.
Have fun.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:40 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Mid-Ohio is much more fun IMHO but seat time is seat time...do all the DE's that you can and don't forget Mid-Ohio with the NOR region in October!
Old 08-14-2008, 03:46 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
Matt,
I would not drive the BEAV again if Haas was paying. Mid Ohio is a great course and I feel Putnam Park is the safest by a wide margin.
Double check your brake lines and belts. Drill out your air box also.
Have fun.
Matt: I agree with above Mid-Ohio a better venue, and I think easy on the tires compared to BV.

John: do they make you were a helmet? Everyone I know thinks you have a hard head??
Old 08-14-2008, 04:51 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Hey now!
I have to wear a helmet to keep you guys from being distracted by my dashing good looks. It's in the PCA rule book:

3. John Haas must wear a helmet with dark shield certified in accordance with one of the following standards: SNELL SA2000, SNELL SA2005, FIA 8860-2004, SFI 31.1A, SFI 31.2A, or BS6658-85 type A/FR due to his handsomeness.

Gregg, have fun this weekend. Wouldn't you know that my motor breaks and the rain stops. NASA this weekend would have been my first event this year without rain.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:03 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, John - then we'll have a great dry time of it!
Old 08-14-2008, 10:34 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Just got back from the Mid-O drop off...pretty crowded already! Sorry to hear you won't be there John...NASA doesn't have the helmet rule ya know...

Quick Reply: BeaveRun DE? Or Mid-Ohio? Getting started?