Sponsored by:

CMP LeMons 2009

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 02:31 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CMP LeMons 2009

I've long time buddies out in Virginia who are looking at doing an LeMons entry for 2009 - likely the CMP (Charlottes Motorsports Park) venue or the new Ohio one. We are looking for 1-2 others who'd be interested and hopefully somewhat local to VA. What will be expected is that we are all sharing expenses and labor with the advent of having driving time.

We are looking to pick up either an old lightweight car instead of a tank - Civic, Accord, RX7, Prelude, S12, Neon. I am going to be the treasurer and we will split costs based on effort - i.e. for those who put in more effort on labor we will reduce some of the expenses in trade. However, safety equipment is the responsibility of each driver - though we do have a couple HANS devices we can share (they only require the u shaped head restraint) amongst the group - but no sharing of suits, underwear, socks, balaclavas and helmets - just to sweaty and nasty to be sharing those!.

I figured with the amount of racers here some might be looking to get into it without having to organize it. I can set up introductions, etc. with my buddies. All of them are car nuts - one is a professional welder for a defense contractor to the Navy, the other owns a couple small restaurants, and the last one is still in college but he races in rallycross and is building a shorted s13 awd rally car in his own garage - lot's of fabrication experience.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pm being sent...
Old 08-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

An old E30 BMW is cheap, lightweight, rear wheel drive, good handling, and pretty tank like for it's size.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jaje
I've long time buddies out in Virginia who are looking at doing an LeMons entry for 2009 - likely the CMP (Charlottes Motorsports Park) venue or the new Ohio one.
What new Ohio venue?
Old 08-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Joe L
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chris M.
What new Ohio venue?
Currently billed as Detroit, but is actually in Toledo (unless they are planning to add another OH event for 2009):

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/events/
Old 08-21-2008, 11:04 PM
daigo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
An old E30 BMW is cheap, lightweight, rear wheel drive, good handling, and pretty tank like for it's size.
Yup, thats what we used at Altamont in 07. Factory LSD. Had a BLAST.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:46 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

We are looking for something lightweight and reliable so our options are open but we are trying to find someone's unfinished project - gutted car to save us days of work - or old racecar that they are trying to get rid of. There are certain rules that have to be abided by and areas where you can spend til the limit but at the end of the race they have the right to destroy (by vote) or buy your car for $500.

What will be a big expense is all the personal safety equipment - I race so I have everything I need but for those who've never done this before it is quite expensive. Yes you can buy the LeMons driving package (suit, shoes, gloves, helmet for $435 but it's not the best stuff).
Old 08-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Capt. Carrera
Racer

My wife and I helped out with the Lemons at CMP this year. After watching the race, I'd venture what you run isn't too important. Getting it cheap, and getting it to last is. I did observe that Neons appeared to fair well, and would be cheap to obtain.

Psssttt.... CMP is Carolina Motorsports Park. The track is a stone-throw south of Kershaw, South Carolina, and pretty close to Camden.

Quick Reply: CMP LeMons 2009